Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 09:42 AM

30 posts, read 133,670 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

I have recently moved to the Sandtown area near Campbellton Road and Camp Creek Parkway in SW Atlanta.

I am seeking information on the best routes to take into downtown in the morning.

I have tried taking Campbellton Road east to 166 to 85N.
I have tried Fulton Indust. to 20 to 85N.
I have tried Boat Rock Rd. to New Hope Rd. to Cascade Rd. to 285 N to 20 to 85N.

The best commute time so far has been 45 minutes. Usually, it is longer. I leave around 7a.m. but am able to leave earlier if that would shorten commute time.

Any recommendations?

I am even thinking of taking side streets all the way into downtown if it would make the commute time shorter.

If you recommend that I leave earlier, what time is good?

SC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2008, 11:44 AM

Location: Originally from Cali relocated to Inman Park/Old 4th Ward/Westside Atlanta
987 posts, read 3,912,112 times
I have propety in that exact area and Fulton Industrial to _i20 is the quickest way. You may want to try and leave your home at an earlier time. It only takes about 25 minutes to get downtown on that route if you leave before 8am.

Old 03-05-2008, 11:48 AM

25 minutes? You're kidding?
Ok, maybe my problem is where I'm going in Downtown then. I am coming to the midtown area of Downtown (near North Ave). Should I take 85N from I20 or get off at a side street? If side streets, do you know which one?

Thanks so much for your help!!

SC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantasfinest View Post
I have propety in that exact area and Fulton Industrial to _i20 is the quickest way. You may want to try and leave your home at an earlier time. It only takes about 25 minutes to get downtown on that route if you leave before 8am.

Old 03-05-2008, 11:50 AM

3,615 posts, read 7,778,928 times
You can go the other way (away from Fulton Industrial) and cut over to Martin Luther King

Old 03-05-2008, 12:06 PM

Netdragon,
Thanks for the tip but I don't quite understand the roads that I would take to "go the other way." I am new to Atlanta. Do you mind elaborating?
SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by netdragon View Post
You can go the other way (away from Fulton Industrial) and cut over to Martin Luther King

Old 03-05-2008, 12:45 PM

2,138 posts, read 6,321,054 times
You can go north on Fulton Industrial to MLK, or you could exit onto Metropolitan Parkway from Langford Parkway (GA166) and go north.

Old 03-05-2008, 03:32 PM

Location: Originally from Cali relocated to Inman Park/Old 4th Ward/Westside Atlanta
987 posts, read 3,912,112 times
Instead of merging onto 75/85 North take the Whitehall Road exit off of I-20 make a left off the exit to Northside Drive and go up Northside Drive to North Avenue. Merging onto 75/85 from I-20 or 166 is a mess! It takes 25 minutes for me because I get off at Spring Street on I-20 and work right near the Federal Center. This route would is much quicker than merging onto 75/85.

Old 03-06-2008, 11:36 AM

Atlantasfinest, that sounds great. I received a similar route yesterday and sure enough, it only took 25 minutes. Of course, I left at 6:40 a.m. Do you have any idea if leaving at 7a.m. would also allow me to be able to get to North Ave. in 25 minutes? I have never been more afraid of seeing school buses than I am now. They and the parents dropping off their kids really slow traffic, I think.
SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantasfinest View Post
Instead of merging onto 75/85 North take the Whitehall Road exit off of I-20 make a left off the exit to Northside Drive and go up Northside Drive to North Avenue. Merging onto 75/85 from I-20 or 166 is a mess! It takes 25 minutes for me because I get off at Spring Street on I-20 and work right near the Federal Center. This route would is much quicker than merging onto 75/85.

Old 03-06-2008, 11:39 AM

South-to-west,
Great. How long do you think these routes take? Either under 30 minutes? Part of the problem for me is that I live about 5 miles from 166 and Campbellton Road is only one lane for most of that distance. Further, getting the drivers to actually drive out onto Campbellton Road is like pulling teeth. They require such a big gap between cars before they are willing to jump out onto Campbellton. I'm from up north so I'm always exasperated and impatient with that problem.

Going north on Fulton Industrial - I thought Fulton Industrial ran east and west. Which way is north? Is that toward 20 or away from 20 from that area?

Quote:
Originally Posted by south-to-west View Post
You can go north on Fulton Industrial to MLK, or you could exit onto Metropolitan Parkway from Langford Parkway (GA166) and go north.

Old 05-06-2008, 06:43 PM

5 posts, read 25,213 times
[SIZE=2]Hi SummerChild! I am moving to that area from the downtown area. My suggestion is to take the following route:
Camp Creek to Fulton Industrial
Fulton Industrial to I-20
I-20 to Windsor Street (takes you down below the highway, the exit right before 20 connects with 75/85)
Make a left at the exit onto Spring Street....ride Spring Street out to Midtown....it will intersect with North Avenue, which is where I believe you said you needed to get to. Because Spring Street is a one way, the traffic moves faster than other downtown streets. Hope that helps!
[/SIZE]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta