Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2017, 09:25 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,872,089 times

Advertisements

Survey by a third party company conducted a survey and found that transit is the best way to ease congestion.
Atlanta-area residents say public transit is
Quote:
The survey found that 84 percent of Atlantans in the metropolitan area have a desire to live near public transportation. This regional interest compares to a similar desire among 83 percent of Americans nationally
Quote:
That desire for metro-Atlantans has increased in just the past five years alone by almost a third (31 percent), the survey found, versus 29 percent of Americans. This emerging trend is most pronounced among millennials (ages 18-34) who were more likely than those in preceding generations (40 percent vs. 26 percent) to feel their desire to live near accessible public transit has increased.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2017, 09:30 AM

5,559 posts, read 4,694,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Survey by a third party company conducted a survey and found that transit is the best way to ease congestion.
The Atlanta Speaks surveys have been showing this rather consistently too.

Old 03-20-2017, 09:33 AM

10,743 posts, read 13,390,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Interesting, yet predictable (which is not a bad thing). However, I wonder if those folks surveyed would have the same opinion if they were asked whether they will pay additional taxes, higher user fees, etc. for the public transit option. Truly expanding the transit system to effectively cover the Atlanta region will cost a very significant amount of money. It's sort of like my daughter wanting a new iPhone - when she was told she would have to pay for half, the new shiny thing lost its allure rather quickly.

Old 03-20-2017, 09:35 AM

821 posts, read 726,443 times
They ain't poll me

Old 03-20-2017, 09:36 AM

10,743 posts, read 13,390,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlHawks View Post
They ain't poll me
No kidding. All of these polls come out, and no one that I know has ever been polled. So, who, exactly, is being polled? That one has always been a mystery to me (along with a zillion other things...).

Old 03-20-2017, 09:38 AM

597 posts, read 667,265 times
In a healthy, well-developed and growing (booming?) metro, is congestion really ever eased? Seriously. NYC, DC, and Chicago have fantastic, extensive public transportation networks, yet still have awful traffic. (LA's train/bus system is actually much better than given credit for, but it's covering such a massive area, that it can seem inconsequential). Public transportation is great, and I always love having it as an option to commute, or to go to events and avoid parking hassles, and I like that it enables some people to go without owning a car. I support expansion of public transportation for the most part. But, I never really see it significantly reducing congestion. Sure, some spots here and there might be better than before they were served by public transportation, but overall?

Last edited by goillini8; 03-20-2017 at 10:12 AM..

Old 03-20-2017, 10:10 AM

461 posts, read 546,611 times
Public transit will never be able to keep up in spread out American metro areas and it's expensive, crowded, and not very safe. Most people aren't going to drive the first leg of their commute, park (and pay to park), wait for a train, and do that all over again. Once people are in their cars, they tend to stay in their cars. I saw that in CA, DC, and now here in CO. Sure, in NYC I lived down the block from the Subway so I didn't have to drive, but 2 or 3 stage commutes suck. There's nothing like getting off a bus and having to shovel your car out in a dark commuter lot. People who are high on public transit are either high, or didn't grown up with it.

Old 03-20-2017, 10:11 AM

9,829 posts, read 7,262,857 times
Um, how exactly is transit going to ease congestion? I seriously doubt it ever would. Even if we expand it out, which I'm greatly in favor of. The congestion will only ever be getting worse, unless lots of new roads and lanes are built. Look at New York and Chicago. They have way better transit, but also have worse traffic.

Transit just gives you a way to bypass at least some of the congestion. Which is great. But that's not "easing the congestion." Yeah, it will take some cars off the road, but that slight decrease in congestion just encourages more people to drive, pretty much equaling the effect out. Because most people prefer to drive, even when transit is an option. The more you free up the roadway, the more people will drive. And also it encourages more residential growth and sprawl, until the traffic congestion maxes out again shortly.

Besides building entirely new tunnel freeways and new managed lanes and new collector/distributors and new interchanges (and continuing to build new tunnels every few decades or so, to match the growth), the only other way that congestion is ever going to be "eased" in this metro is by taking the stress and the wasted time out of it, with self-driving cars.

Old 03-20-2017, 10:13 AM

6,503 posts, read 6,122,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unbeliever View Post
Public transit will never be able to keep up in spread out American metro areas and it's expensive, crowded, and not very safe. Most people aren't going to drive the first leg of their commute, park (and pay to park), wait for a train, and do that all over again. Once people are in their cars, they tend to stay in their cars. I saw that in CA, DC, and now here in CO. Sure, in NYC I lived down the block from the Subway so I didn't have to drive, but 2 or 3 stage commutes suck. There's nothing like getting off a bus and having to shovel your car out in a dark commuter lot. People who are high on public transit are either high, or didn't grown up with it.
MARTA park-and-ride commuters do not pay to park. But I guess you were so wrapped up in your B.S. hyperbole that you simply forgot to look that up.

Old 03-20-2017, 10:14 AM

9,829 posts, read 7,262,857 times
"Ease the commute" - absolutely yes.

"Ease the congestion"- highly doubtful.

Expanding metropolitan and regional transit will speed up average commute times, and decrease average commute stress. It will not have any noticeable effect on vehicle congestion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: