Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Westside Trail real estate overheated?
Overheated 7 21.21%
Just getting started 17 51.52%
It's about right 6 18.18%
Don't know the area 3 9.09%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2017, 08:17 AM

83 posts, read 83,849 times

Advertisements

So had a friend that put an offer on a house in Adair Park. Beautifully restored by the owner and not a flip. I think it was the Danny guy "The Real World" New Orleans maybe. Anyway home went for $260,000 which was $35k OVER list price. Obviously, with the Westside Trail coming in things are way more than heated up over there. This is a question, not a statement "so is the Westside Trail, West End, Westview, Adair Park areas overheated. Looking at property over there from an investor as well as homeowner standpoint. Westview homes are being marketed in the high $200's.

Property near Eastside Trail would have increased regardless of Eastside Beltline because of Ponce City Market, Krog Market and it's 2 minutes away from Midtown. There is a ton of retail/restaurants in the area and quite a bit of mixture of residential from single family to multifamily.

Westside area has none of the above and frankly I don't see many places to add that near the Beltline except for the Murphy/Lee street warehouse area. Large parts of the Westside Beltline are in residential areas or even in areas where you can't add any new construction like the site where you exit I-20 at Langhorn.

I'm leaning toward overheated, but would love to hear thoughts on those that are actually living, investing or know the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2017, 12:52 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,238,885 times
I think that is a bit overvalued, guess I would need to see the house.

But this is going to happen when real estate is so competitive and expensive all around the city. If this market keeps up, I would expect areas along the Westside Beltline to heat up as there are less and less reasonably priced options around the city.

Old 03-26-2017, 01:41 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,875,645 times
As noted above, would need to see that particular house. That is higher than others have been going for in the area. But the area overall is on the up and up so I expect prices to continue to rise.

Old 03-26-2017, 02:20 PM

2,197 posts, read 2,261,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelinFool View Post
Property near Eastside Trail would have increased regardless of Eastside Beltline because of Ponce City Market
That's assuming big developments like PCM would have happened regardless of the Beltline. That's a big assumption.

Old 03-26-2017, 02:50 PM

32,026 posts, read 36,788,671 times
Seems a little high to me, at least for now. I don't doubt that houses may get there soon enough.

However, there's still a good ways to go on retail and schools.

Old 03-27-2017, 05:55 AM

2,412 posts, read 2,786,205 times
May not be overheated--just risky. Until the west side becomes more established, it will be super vulnerable to economic downturns-like it was last time. If the economy stays solid for a while-- it may be a good guess.

Old 03-27-2017, 06:55 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Seems a little high to me, at least for now. I don't doubt that houses may get there soon enough.

However, there's still a good ways to go on retail and schools.
Retail? The area around West End Mall has plenty of retail. What kind of retail are you referring to?

Old 03-27-2017, 07:06 AM

2,412 posts, read 2,786,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelinFool View Post

Property near Eastside Trail would have increased regardless of Eastside Beltline because of Ponce City Market, Krog Market and it's 2 minutes away from Midtown. There is a ton of retail/restaurants in the area and quite a bit of mixture of residential from single family to multifamily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetar View Post
That's assuming big developments like PCM would have happened regardless of the Beltline. That's a big assumption.
Metro traffic, proximity to white/gentrified areas and nuking housing projects probably resulted in more change on the east side more than anything else.

Old 03-27-2017, 07:08 AM

32,026 posts, read 36,788,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Retail? The area around West End Mall has plenty of retail. What kind of retail are you referring to?
Oh, they could use more eateries, coffee shops, grocery stores, move theatres, home stores, sports pubs, and more. Compare to the options that locals have on the east and north sides of town.

I suspect these things will come in time but there's a certain synergy between rooftops and retail that really makes things bubble at some point.

Old 03-27-2017, 07:10 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Oh, they could use more eateries, coffee shops, grocery stores, move theatres, home stores, sports pubs, and more. Compare to the options that locals have on the east and north sides of town.

I suspect these things will come in time but there's a certain synergy between rooftops and retail that really makes things bubble at some point.
Oh, you mean gentrified levels of retail. The retail there has supported that community for decades, somehow the existing residents were able to survive without the need of overpriced coffee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta