Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2017, 07:59 PM

4,010 posts, read 3,752,813 times

Advertisements

Spring break traffic + 85 gone + Braves traffic = grrr
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2017, 08:16 PM

32,026 posts, read 36,788,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawgPark View Post
They did do exactly what you said.

Each property owner has the right to deal with the Braves on parking ... or deal with a private company on parking ... or do it themselves.

I, as a Cumberland property owner, chose to deal with a private company for parking. The Braves have zero control over me and my lot ... or my tenants/staff.

HOWEVER ... yes, the parking company is requiring all of our tenants and staff to put a hangtag in the car that allows them access to one space on game days.

If any of our people complain about a request as simple as that ...

For the 2 weekday afternoon games ... one in May and one in July ... not sure what we will do, but we're pretty smart people and I think we'll figure it out for 2 days.
Okay, that sounds a little different. It seems like the property owner/employer should be compensated for allowing their lot to be used.

Old 03-30-2017, 09:27 PM

1,329 posts, read 1,315,298 times
For years, some people (rightfully, in my opinion) criticized Turner Field's massive sea of parking lots, which remained empty for all but 81 days per year and were a significant impediment to any meaningful, positive growth in the area.

I certainly don't think that the Braves have handled the new stadium in perfect fashion on every topic, but this plan is, in my estimation, pretty smart. It makes use of an existing resource and leaves the area without a surplus of unproductive parking lots on non-game days. Moreover, the development itself will be in pretty much constant use even during non-game days, thanks to the retail, restaurants and other entertainment on site, and there does appear to be enough parking on site to support those elements.

Old 03-30-2017, 10:46 PM

23,463 posts, read 44,090,617 times
I simply thought that you should be made aware that people like you and me are being affected by decisions made outside our realm of power. At the end of the day, they don't give a damn about you, only how you can serve their agenda.

Old 03-30-2017, 11:14 PM

2,006 posts, read 3,319,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
I simply thought that you should be made aware that people like you and me are being affected by decisions made outside our realm of power. At the end of the day, they don't give a damn about you, only how you can serve their agenda.
This was always true. The only thing that's changed is that the AJC has a vendetta against the Braves, so they are now covering petty issues which they ignored when the Braves were in Atlanta.

Old 03-30-2017, 11:23 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,103,982 times
Quote:
There "agenda" will provide more jobs in the Cumberland area for people like me and you

Old 03-30-2017, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
Guess you don't think those five 7:35pm weekday games in the first week are going to any issue for workers since you don't consider that "daytime". I don't think I have had any job where there was not a need to work past that time at some point. Companies that need reliable places to do business 24/7 are going to need to start looking at other options.
So braves shouldn't be around in a CBD cause of the business............... wait?

Old 03-30-2017, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Well, the time has come to reap the spoils of the well-planned efforts of TPTB regarding parking for SunTrust Stadium.
My husband received a call from a former employee; he said that workers in the nearby Travelport Building (and presumably this goes for all workers in the Galleria Complex) received their Game Day permits today. Display of these permits on their cars in company parking will be SOP on days when the Braves are playing; failure to comply will result in their cars being towed. And, if you are a virtual employee and only spend part of your week in the office, you are denied access to your space altogether; those employees were simply given pamphlets outlining their 'transportation options' ie MARTA, CCT and Uber. Fat lot of good that does 90% of my husband's former employees that live in north Cobb and Cherokee. Many of these employees have been in this building for 20+ years
Just thought I'd provide another little example of how Tim Lee's unprincipled hit-and-run play is now manifesting itself. If you deem this as ordinary citizens taking one for the 'Team', well then, so be it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dk47saogI8o
You do understand it's not Tim right?

it's the Cumberland CID....... the business themselves....

I think your argument is that the stadium is against the companies and employees.......... When actually it's the companies and employees decision to why it's going there. cause it benefits the community.

Community Improvement Districts are self taxing districts that business community play apart of.

They wanted stadium there............... the employers!............

Others wise the companies that these employees are going to wanted the stadium there.

About the Cumberland CID - Community Improvement Distrtict

Quote:
The Cumberland Community Improvement District (CID), Georgia’s first CID, is a public-private assessment district in northwest Atlanta. It is the mechanism by which local commercial property owners advance needed public infrastructure projects. Projects that enhance property values as well as the greater community.

Originally formed in 1988 by business leaders interested in improving access to the highways for the emerging Cumberland submarket, the CID went a step further and created a master road plan for the area. Over the years, that original plan expanded to include additional road and transit infrastructure improvements, streetscapes and beautification projects, bicycle and walking trails, alternate commute programs and services as well as community planning.
Cumberland new home of the Atlanta Braves Suntrust Ball Park

Quote:
The new home of the Atlanta Braves will be will be a first of its kind — a destination that will simultaneously build and integrate a state-of-the-art Major League Baseball ballpark with a multi-use development and community. Ready to welcome fans and visitors on Opening Day of 2017, the project will be the preeminent sports and entertainment venue in the country.

The project will redefine the traditional model of a “live, work, play” development into a “play, work, stay” destination. SunTrust Park will flow directly into the surrounding development, creating a lively shopping and entertainment district accessible 365 days a year.

Old 03-31-2017, 07:10 AM

23,463 posts, read 44,090,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evannole View Post
For years, some people (rightfully, in my opinion) criticized Turner Field's massive sea of parking lots, which remained empty for all but 81 days per year and were a significant impediment to any meaningful, positive growth in the area.

I certainly don't think that the Braves have handled the new stadium in perfect fashion on every topic, but this plan is, in my estimation, pretty smart. It makes use of an existing resource and leaves the area without a surplus of unproductive parking lots on non-game days. Moreover, the development itself will be in pretty much constant use even during non-game days, thanks to the retail, restaurants and other entertainment on site, and there does appear to be enough parking on site to support those elements.
Pretty smart to those that aren't affected, sure.

Old 03-31-2017, 07:16 AM

32,026 posts, read 36,788,671 times
If the landlords had any say in this it seems like they could have made better arrangements to accommodate the employees who worked there. Especially if they were getting compensation from the Braves or the parking contractors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta