Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2008, 09:28 AM
ABM ABM started this thread

339 posts, read 992,906 times

Advertisements

I'm on a Beltline Partnership e-mail list, and I received this e-mail this morning. I hear/read so much - positive and negative - about the Beltline, though. I truly hope it doesn't end up becoming a proverbial white elephant, or such. I believe in my heart that it would bring a uniquely new and refreshing vitality to the downtown sector.

Anywho, this appeared to be at least a bit promising at this point:

Quote:
On Saturday, Feb. 23, 150 people attended a community groundbreaking for the West End trail at Rose Circle Park. Mayor Shirley Franklin and City Council members Cleta Winslow and Ceasar Mitchell were among the speakers at the event, and they were joined by numerous BeltLine pioneers including Ryan Gravel and former City Council President Cathy Woolard. Many of those in attendance took turns turning shovels of dirt to mark the occasion. A group of bicyclists gathered at the ceremony along with children playing basketball and families gathering to hear the speakers. Coffee and food were provided by a local coffee shop, Grounds, and the Coca-Cola Company also donated beverages for the event. West End residents and businesses were joined by greater Atlanta residents and businesses to celebrate the beginning of Atlanta connecting and re-connecting its neighborhoods through the BeltLine.

The West End trail will be a twelve-foot-wide, 2.3-mile, multi-use concrete trail that will run from Westview Cemetery along Westview Drive, parallel Langhorn Street and Muse Street south of I-20, cross Ralph David Abernathy Boulevard at Gordon White Park, and continue southeast along White Street to Brown Middle School at Peeples Street. The PATH Foundation, which is leading the construction of the BeltLine trails, began work on January 22. The first phase of construction on the West End trail will convert a lane of White Street into the new trail, separated from traffic by a curb and trees that are part of the arboretum being created by Trees Atlanta. Total construction time is anticipated to be approximately six to eight months.
The BeltLine Partnership appreciates the support of all of its lead donors including the Robert W. Woodruff Foundation, Arthur M. Blank Family Foundation, The James M. Cox Foundation, The Coca-Cola Foundation, The Home Depot Foundation, SunTrust Bank Atlanta, Turner Broadcasting System, Inc., Wachovia Corporation, Weeks Family Foundation, Mr. John Portman, and Georgia Power.

Canvassing

Strange to see neighbors knocking on your door for a brief chat in this day and age? Not anymore! On Saturdays Feb. 2, Feb. 9 and Feb. 16, teams of neighborhood volunteers and students from local high schools and colleges conducted door-to-door canvassing in twenty-three neighborhoods along the Southern crescent of the BeltLine. The canvassing efforts were aimed at empowering community members with information about the BeltLine. The volunteers reached out to explain what the BeltLine is, how it will impact people living in neighborhoods adjacent to it, and ways to become involved in the planning process.
In total, 52 trained volunteers distributed over 8,750 flyers to homes, apartment complexes, businesses and libraries in 21 neighborhoods. Volunteers reported that most residents were not aware of the BeltLine and appreciated the information. More than 800 residents signed up to attend “BeltLine 101” discussions in the future to learn more about the BeltLine project.

Community Land Trust Competition

The BeltLine will address many of Atlanta’s most pressing issues related to growth. However, higher taxes associated with rising land values, and increased costs of living may limit the ability of working-class residents to remain in the City to enjoy its benefits. The potential for economic displacement of residents around the BeltLine is a significant concern, so several mechanisms are being investigated that have the potential to mitigate displacement and create sustainable affordable housing.
One promising tool is a community land trust (CLT), which has been used successfully in other parts of the country to create permanently affordable housing. Under the CLT model, communities control land in their neighborhoods through a non-profit organization. Through a variety of mechanisms, they can ensure that the housing built on that land remains affordable.

In partnership with Emory University’s Goizueta Business School and School of Law, the BeltLine Partnership sponsored a case competition in which teams of students competed to create a viable model for a successful community land trust on the BeltLine. The teams presented their recommendations on Saturday, February 23rd to a diverse audience of more than 100 people. All of the teams developed creative ways for setting up a CLT, and we expect to incorporate many of their ideas going forward.
The BeltLine Partnership is very grateful to all of the Emory students and faculty who worked on this project. We would also like to thank the judges of the competition: Todd Bassen, Senior Vice President, Vornado Realty Trust; Greg Giornelli, Chief Operating Officer, City of Atlanta; Lindsay R.M. Jones, Adjunct Professor and Program Administrator, Emory School of Law; and Mtamanika Youngblood, Project Director of the Atlanta Civic Site for the Annie E. Casey Foundation.

The BeltLine Partnership is continuing to work with national consultants, CLT practitioners, and local partners to determine the feasibility of using community land trusts in the areas surrounding the BeltLine.

To learn more about community land trusts, visit:

Burlington Associates- Community Land Trust (CLT), affordable housing, and community development learning resources
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2008, 11:38 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,885,851 times
It will generate a few trails/paths in some neighborhoods, but I honestly don't think the beltline will come anywhere close to what they say it will. The 70-million dollar shortfall in the last budget which they still can't fully account for has probably shelved it, as well as the light rail/trolley project.

Old 03-07-2008, 01:59 PM

80 posts, read 477,514 times
My understanding is the beltline started as a Ga Tech grad student's project back in the early/mid 90s. I would love to see it actually happen, but over 10 years later I think it is all just talk and will just end up being a few parks and bike paths.

Old 03-07-2008, 04:45 PM

55 posts, read 233,907 times
Yeah, the BeltLine was Ryan Gravel's vision back in 1999. These things take a while to come about. The Model Mile that was just started in the West End/Westview section was actually originally a PATH Foundation project that has been in the works for over 10 years! So that tells you how hard it is to pull this stuff together!

I guess everyone's uncertain what will or won't actually be built. I always knew the light rail portion was a long-term goal (I heard the "25-year plan"?), but I'm still excited to see the park and path portions of the BeltLine coming together. The portion of the path that has been started along the West End section on White Street will extend into Westview's section by the end of June and should be completed by around this time next year. The Westview portion will have paths meandering largely along the quiet streets and will include hickory, oak, sourwood, beech, maple, and ash tree plantings, so I'm really looking forward to seeing everything in place.

Old 03-07-2008, 08:05 PM

595 posts, read 2,344,250 times
Hopefully as gas prices continue to rise, it will put some priority on projects such as these. Only so long people can ignore transportation issues and sprawl with gas heading towards $4 and $5 gal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta