Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2017, 04:48 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,105,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
"No"? So you're saying that there aren't several Atlantans in this thread clearly bashing Houston and making other ill-informed comments that suggest they've never stepped foot inside the city? Lol I guess.
No, there aren't several. Seriously It's just one posters....

Most Atlanta posters I litteally gave 7 Atlanta posters two pages back are giving positive comments about Houston and stating pro and cons to both cities.

Two be fair there is also only like two anti Atlanta bashers as well the problem these two posters pretty respond to All the Atlanta section regulars so I started responding to them. Thread started getting crazy when the Atlanta bashers pop up. Yet again OP himself was negative to both cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2017, 06:12 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,791,370 times
A little back reading is in order, as there is definitely more than one person trash talking Houston.

You all need to admit that for all the people who won't give Atlanta the credit it deserves, there are just as many (many of your own) who refuse to do the same for Houston and other cities.

Old 05-12-2017, 08:57 PM

11,804 posts, read 8,018,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
Nah.... your a emotional driven person, nothing your stating can even be called false facts because your not stating anything that can be consider a facts and logic altogether your literally arguing your opinion. And telling people they are facts which is silly.

You maybe not consider Atlanta "a diamond" and that's fine that your opinion to have. But how does that applies to some else opinion? This argument literally exist because your upset over other people having positive opinions of Atlanta......it get worst that you think can force your opinions over other people opinions that's not how it works.

Also that called a straw man misrepresenting the person your arguing against to what you want or wish they was arguing.

I never said Atlanta beats Houston in everything heck I even stated thing Houston beats Atlanta myself..... Atlanta beat Houston in some stuff and Houston beat Atlanta in some stuff.

What this really is your urked that people are stating some positive of Atlanta and any positive statements of Atlanta your taking as Atlanta superior to every city again this driven by your emotional disdain.

Also Cumberland is not a office park, it's an edge city.
You're fun.

You really want facts eh? I'm game... lets begin.

Fact #1. Because you brought this up I actually had to look this up and lo and behold Cumberland actually IS a self taxing edge city, I assumed it was strictly a district in Smyrna..none the less matters because..
Fact #2. I never mentioned "Cumberland" anywhere in that statement.

Fact #3. (You brought this on yourself.) The stadium was built literally smack in the middle of a major office complex in the area of Cumberland.

Fact #4. That area also just happens to be near the busiest interchange in the Southeast region, surpassing even those in Miami - I-75 and I-285.

I'm off the issue with the stadium...I don't care about it, I don't pay taxes on it, nor is it in my general direction of travel..it is what it is at this point as dumb of a planning decision as it may have been a couple of hailmary's and we'll get over it.

Fact #5. This is not opinion based - Houston spent CONSIDERABLE more dollars, time, and engineering investing in and planning for the future. They WELL invested in infrastructure (where as Atlanta's is literally crippling apart, and I don't mean just the roadways.) For where Houston is in geography it is doing amazingly well. It is surrounded by three majors cities each roughly or slightly smaller than Atlanta (San Antonio, DFW (which is larger) and New Orleans.) Atlanta depended on Delta and AT&T to make their future sustainable...While there's nothing WRONG with that, Atlanta had no forsight for the future and practically threw everything together minutes before (or during) the population boom with little planning or insight.

Fact #6. Atlanta's city limits (mostly inside the perimeter) is where Atlanta ends.. afterward you get a chaotic pool of communities each trying to make their own haven as an individual municipality and what do you call them? The suburbs! Each one with no coordination with its neighbor, or Atlanta..and several in fact started off larger than and (in some cases) older than the actual city of Atlanta itself. They want to benefit from the core but they don't want to play along with the elements necessary to fortify, diversify, and design a functional model for the city of Atlanta itself..
or for the lack of better words..
It's a big unplanned massacre.

Quote:
Again this another emotional driven comment bases on your subjective opinion. in fact your statement here is completely abstract and doesn't make sense also together.

Again this thread is Atlanta vs Houston I check this thread and with in the rest of thread there isn't a sole poster who compared Atlanta to any other city beside Houston in regard to History. You completely made that up, I'm the one who brought Atlanta historic neighborhoods vs Houston which is why I respond to you, When I notice you indirectly replied to me,

What is the difference btw Atlanta and Houston
  • I said chiatldal "Atlanta has more historic neighborhoods than Houston."

• Then krogerDisco said replying me "Why is that a better thing? And I don't think Atlanta's neighborhoods are all that distinctive."

• Then LovinDecatur said replying to krogerDisco "The most obtuse statement that I've read all week.

• then you Need4Camaro replied to LovinDecatur "Subjective.. If you want to see real historic neighborhoods, go to D.C, Chicago, New York, Boston some parts of Los Angeles, ect.. each will still dwarf Atlanta's"
You couldn't stomach posters saying Atlanta was more historical than city "houston' you started comparing Atlanta other US cities which is off topics. basically Atlanta couldn't get it's cookie over Houston in this regards to History, so had to bring the irrelevance of other cities. In this Atlanta vs Houston debated.

Also "Atlanta has no identity in this area" every city has an identity even Houston have identity that makes it Houston......... but first what happen to "I am a fact driven person"... again your literally emotional driven person arguing your options as facts.

It doesn't matter if you feel a place sucks or is coolest place earth. Identity is not base whether your liking a place or not, it base on the place history and what shape it.

And history is also not base on you liking a place or not. it's base on time and events that happen in that place. So your basically going I don't like the history of blank as much as blank so I'm going to say it doesn't have much history.

Atlanta is more historical city than Houston because it boom a little earlier on, Atlanta has more Victorian history than Houston and has more a historical street car layout. Houston didn't pass Atlanta until the 1930's. Houston boom more early modern with the oil boom and the expansion of it's port. This is why Atlanta has more Victorian and Houston has more art deco.

Atlanta identity starts with it was meant to be opposite of New Orleans and Antibulem south.

During the civil war the south lack industrial cities, And Atlanta while still being a small town was home to second most productive factory in south, Atlanta was basically filling a missing void for the south which is why it was attacked. After the civil war Atlanta started the term the New South, in which Atlanta became the defacto leader in the new more industrial south.

From that you have neighborhoods like Cabbage town, which is a mixture between southern and industrial.

That's does not look like Charlotte, Dallas, Houston, Miami, LA and other sunbelt cities you feel me?
Man you really seem nettled. It's almost funny.

So making sure I understand this correctly... You're telling me I'm making emotional based presumptions about Atlanta and then...

Quote:
You couldn't stomach posters saying Atlanta was more historical than city "houston' you started comparing Atlanta other US cities which is off topics. basically Atlanta couldn't get it's cookie over Houston in this regards to History, so had to bring the irrelevance of other cities. In this Atlanta vs Houston debated.
...you go and do the same thing... because technically nothing factual in any of my posts comes to that the conclusion you've come to. regardless if you want to keep that conclusion I truly don't care. My main statement was directed at LovinDecatur and the main arguement in that cause had nothing to do with Houston vs Atlanta. Krogerdisco said He didn't find anything distinctive about Atlanta's historical district.. LovinDecatur said that was obtuse.. and I personally feel Augusta GA and Savannah GA has more historical feel than Atlanta does...But I won't go there. I was namely stating.. Atlanta's historical areas.. aren't exactly the biggest things since swiss cheese in the grand scheme of things...of which had nothing to do with the argument of Houston.

Quote:
Dude I well travel of the US, Atlanta is not the only place I lived nor it where I was even born, very high key
cool.

Quote:
But this argument is weird it's really a part of premise your literally arguing I been too other places like this gives you some golden knowledge and other haven't on this forum, it's just you who have travel.
There's a difference between traveling and living in places. I've lived in several more cities than Atlanta. You travel some place, its new, you like it, eat good food, see a few good sights, maybe sit in traffic here and there..then you go home.. you live someplace, you get to know it..it grows on you..you see its flaws and its strengths..and after having lived in several cities.. I can say for certainty in this modern era..Atlanta has alot more flaws than strengths.

Quote:
And your arguing here is missing the point of the article I posted, that article was from a news company representing Seattle. magazine articles? Dude that was Seattle Times.

"You do realize there's more to a mass transit system than a light rail right?" exactly, exactly exactly.............

The article was about Seattle wish they had Atlanta heavy rail system. Seattle has light rail system while Atlanta a heavy rail system.

Heavy rail is faster, and carry more people. And always separated from the street. What is why MARTA has passengers.

You said " Seattle still boasts a transportation system ten times better than Atlanta's without exaggerating."

That statement is literally a exaggeration.
How? Can you get on MARTA and take it 150 miles in ANY between direction in a maximum of 3 transfers? Because you can in Seattle. Most of Atlanta's services don't even leave I-285 with the exception of North Fulton and even then is still dwarfed in comparison to how far you could go on a Bus in Seattle.. Do I really have to draw it out again? I mean I was hoping it would have clicked the first time...

That is the exact same distance as the northern most exit on GA-400 (just north of Cumming) to Macon GA... completely filled with Bus Service.. can you do that in Atlanta Uh No... and you know what makes it even more embarassing? Seattle's metro area has about 2 - 3 million people LESS than Atlanta's and yet still outshines in public transportation.

of car miles
vs

of bus miles.

Sorry Atlanta.. you lose here..

I have used both Sound Transit, and MARTA on my daily commutes. There are things I can do on Sound Transit (including even sleeping on the bus) I wouldn't dare do on MARTA. There are places I can reach on Sound Transit that would require miles and miles of Driving in Atlanta...

SO I STAND CORRECTED ON THE HEAVY RAIL ISSUE

I did forget that MARTA is indeed considered a HEAVY RAIL TRAIN. Unfortunately though, this doesn't seem to help that its OVERALL daily ridership IN ALL COMBINED DIRECTIONS is lower than the actual drivers that cross the now demolished I-85 bridge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
There is no heavy rail in Puget Sound, that is commuter rail. HUGE difference
The biggest difference that I see is that a city with 3 million less people actually has one and Atlanta does not..regardless of how you want to make "terms" with the truth doesn't change anything.

Quote:
and not an honest comparison.
Darn, I guess you're right.. Atlanta failed to implement a sufficient rail system.. can't compare the two! Oh well.

Quote:
And no, Central Link was never just intended to connect Downtown and the Airport either. It was always envisioned to go as far as Northgate. The recent vote has expanded these plans.
Point is, it was never intended to be as massive as the scale as MARTA. Seattle already have a reliable transit system before that train even came about.

Quote:
Just because you know how to pull up maps doesn't prove a damn thing when you don't know what you are talking about, especially when you are being dishonest with your supposed 'facts.'
So you want me to taylor the next facts more to your liking because you can't read a map which clearly emphasizes that Seattle of which is smaller than Atlanta has a superior transit system? Okay man..you know what I'm going to give it my best shot.. I'm going to try just for you...ready?

Lets begin...

Fact #7 INRIX Global Traffic Scorecard - Atlanta is sitting at #9 - DOWN FROM #8 woohoo..oh crap Seattle is at #23.. AND HOUSTON ISNT EVEN ON THE FIRST PAGE...

Fact #8 I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt here man..Lets compare DAILY RIDERSHIP #'s between Atlanta, Seattle... Then Houston as well. Note that Seattle's transit systems are composed of many entities that are all incorporated into "Sound Transit" .. While Atlanta's transit is incorporated into many entities, they are NOT incorporated into any SINGLE specific organization (meaning MARTA is MARTA, CCT is CCT, Gwinnett Transit is Gwinnett Transit) .. Also note... the Metro area of Atlanta is about 3 million people larger than Seattle's.. giving Atlanta the upperhand in the category of ridership potential.. Lets see how this plays out.

Atlanta's MARTA system ALONE handles an average Daily Ridership of aproximately 433,000 commuters per day - that is combined between Bus and Rail.

Seattle, King County, and Tacoma's systems make a combined total of 576,000 commuters per day. Note these systems are incorporated into Sound Transit.. But even if we DID consider Gwinnett Transit and CCT - Atlanta would STILL be down and Sound transit services a city with almost half as many people... Darn Atlanta I really tried to give you one.

Okay fine, Lets see about Houston...

Right under 307,000 riders.. Yay, it beat MARTA... although.. their rail system is only a quarter of the size.. hey Atlanta has to win somewhere.

SOURCE: http://www.apta.com/resources/statis...rship-APTA.pdf

Quote:
smh this time did even read the article you posted? the article basically said that with all cities it wasn't specific to Atlanta, it says it's difficult to measure and that was based on the Atlanta Convention and Visitors Bureau numbers,

I'm basing my statements off fobes articles. And it also seem you yet forgot the point of the thread again. An comparison between Atlanta and Houston, Posters said Atlanta has more visitors than Houston.

This does back to the problem
  • Houston beat Atlanta in roads and etc.... true and find
  • Houston beat Atlanta in diversity.... true and find

but as soon you state something Atlanta edge Houston in
  • Atlanta beat Houston in historic neighborhoods...... then you get "but but Atlanta suck no history wah wah DC and Chicago has more"

What I am stating is comparing two cities by their visitors is moot... there are no dedicated systems.. As for Atlanta having less history than Chicago or DC? Um..maybe because thats the truth? Both cities are indeed older than Atlanta, Chicago only slightly, but D.C. by half a century... and Chicago was ALSO burnt to the ground and came back.

Quote:
Could you possibly be more arrogant? Who the hell are you to assume that none of us are well traveled?
Easily.. anyone who has been remotely outside of Atlanta would quickly find out that Atlanta is nothing more or less than another major city and is vastly behind in infrastructure and engineering.

Quote:
Do you realize where you even are? This happens to be a massive transportation and business hub. I can assure you that many of us are much more well traveled than even you.
A land port city initially because of the railroad, now because of Delta and several communications industries.. however.. so is Seattle.. Amazon, Google, Microsoft, Boeing..ect.. Just about every Major City has AT&T, even Tampa Florida... so that doesn't really account for much. Atlanta has Hewlett Packard, but so does Houston and Los Angeles.. trust me when I say...I know very clearly where I am..and where everything else is.

Last edited by Need4Camaro; 05-12-2017 at 09:07 PM..

Old 05-12-2017, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
A little back reading is in order, as there is definitely more than one person trash talking Houston.

You all need to admit that for all the people who won't give Atlanta the credit it deserves, there are just as many (many of your own) who refuse to do the same for Houston and other cities.
Nah.... fieldm is literally the only Atlanta poster saying negative things about Houston, and that didn't happen to latter on in the thread, it may have been a reaction to a Atlanta basher later in the thread in the first place. but I get to that in a second.

Early in thread everyone was just responding to OP divisiveness

my point earlier

Anyways AnsleyPark, LovinDecatur, Mutiny77, coolieandre, GatorsZ71, ATLTJL and Myself starting pro and cons to both cities, and gave Houston compliments in areas, there was a few back in forth with Texyn but these were general positive educational interactions. heck Texyn taught me about a Palm Tree that grows in the South I didn't know exist. That kind of point of city data to learn stuff.

isawooty, sedimenjerry, waronxmas, bu2, Atlwarrior, JMatl, Pemgin, oobanks, magnetar, tikigod311 also comment in thread and didn't say anything negative towards Houston either. They just comment to OP or the Atlanta bashes later on.

Basically weren't that many posters saying negative things about Houston

The thread started to turn here

Need4Camaro made outrageous about Atlanta, there more but oblivious Atlanta posters are going to respond

Quote:
If I were you, I'd choose Houston, Atlanta sucks..move here from any decent city and you'll quickly find out that asside from its decent year round weather and relatively lower cost of living (which is also being stripped away) there's nothing here to really be proud of.
From that several Atlanta posters respond to

The next page

fieldm made negative post about Houston, again after Need4Camaro made his negative comment about Atlanta the page before. Most Atlanta posters were still saying positive stuff Houston.

The Texas postes responded to fieldm, but they was civil.

Then krogerDisco who known the troll the Atlanta section responded to fieldm

All the Atlanta posters started to respond to krogerDisco

My point it wasn't multiple Atlanta posters downing Houston, Generally Atlanta posters were positive.

The thread went side ways because of Need4Camaro and krogerDisco

Old 05-12-2017, 10:33 PM

Welp Im so sorry that I had to point out the obvious and even mischievously back my reasoning up with evidence... you'll get over it though I'm sure.

Old 05-13-2017, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
You're fun.

Fact #1. Because you brought this up I actually had to look this up and lo and behold Cumberland actually IS a self taxing edge city, I assumed it was strictly a district in Smyrna..none the less matters because..
You said "they don't build baseball stadiums in business parks,"

So I said Cumberland is edge city. You didn't say Cumberland but reference Cumberland as business park

Quote:
Fact #3. (You brought this on yourself.) The stadium was built literally smack in the middle of a major office complex in the area of Cumberland.
No it's not, it surround by offices Parks, Malls and etc. It's not in a office park.
Quote:
Fact #4. That area also just happens to be near the busiest interchange in the Southeast region, surpassing even those in Miami - I-75 and I-285.
Umm OK?

Quote:
I'm off the issue with the stadium...I don't care about it, I don't pay taxes on it, nor is it in my general direction of travel..it is what it is at this point as dumb of a planning decision as it may have been a couple of hailmary's and we'll get over it.
Litteally saying nothing right here

Quote:
Fact #5. This is not opinion based - Houston spent CONSIDERABLE more dollars, time, and engineering investing in and planning for the future. They WELL invested in infrastructure (where as Atlanta's is literally crippling apart, and I don't mean just the roadways.) For where Houston is in geography it is doing amazingly well. It is surrounded by three majors cities each roughly or slightly smaller than Atlanta (San Antonio, DFW (which is larger) and New Orleans.) Atlanta depended on Delta and AT&T to make their future sustainable...While there's nothing WRONG with that, Atlanta had no forsight for the future and practically threw everything together minutes before (or during) the population boom with little planning or insight.
Dude whole your post wasn't just about roadways or infrastructure

Where "opinion" come from when you started preferences history, and started saying Atlanta has no Identity.

You see the red? the top part is find I agree with some of it but than you start to add the red.... It becomes what the heck your talking about.

Atlanta was founded because of logistics, even before the airport and even now, Atlanta is one most important cities in the country regarding the rail road industry, warehousing and etc. After the civil war Atlanta was promoted as the new south and started embracing diverse industry, Tech, education, medical, media and etc. There is not one thing holding Atlanta.

If you meant infrastructure wasn't plan it's not that simple, Houston and Atlanta have very different environment, Notice Charlotte, Raleigh, Birmingham Metros areas aren't giant grids. This is because the Piedmont region is too forest and Hilly.

Piedmont Metropolitan area are also built closer to Northeast Metros and not like other sunbelt cities. Outside of the northeast dense cities and the fact they have better rail transit, there suburban layout is very similar to the Piedmont cities.

Quote:
Fact #6. Atlanta's city limits (mostly inside the perimeter) is where Atlanta ends.. afterward you get a chaotic pool of communities each trying to make their own haven as an individual municipality and what do you call them? The suburbs! Each one with no coordination with its neighbor, or Atlanta..and several in fact started off larger than and (in some cases) older than the actual city of Atlanta itself. They want to benefit from the core but they don't want to play along with the elements necessary to fortify, diversify, and design a functional model for the city of Atlanta itself..
Again no

Most of metro Atlanta is actually unincorporated county.

But This goes back to Piedmont, and east coast cities........ I'm just going say Atlantic states. Historical satellite cities tend to be common this is why Atlanta has older suburbs.

Also whether or not metro Atlanta function to together has nothing to do with being unplanned.

Quote:

So making sure I understand this correctly... You're telling me I'm making emotional based presumptions about Atlanta and then...
No

I address why in the finial quote
Quote:

...you go and do the same thing... because technically nothing factual in any of my posts comes to that the conclusion you've come to. regardless if you want to keep that conclusion I truly don't care. My main statement was directed at LovinDecatur and the main arguement in that cause had nothing to do with Houston vs Atlanta. Krogerdisco said He didn't find anything distinctive about Atlanta's historical district.. LovinDecatur said that was obtuse.. and I personally feel Augusta GA and Savannah GA has more historical feel than Atlanta does...But I won't go there. I was namely stating.. Atlanta's historical areas.. aren't exactly the biggest things since swiss cheese in the grand scheme of things...of which had nothing to do with the argument of Houston.
Again.... that's called an "opinion" say it with me "opinion" you can have an opinion but it's an opinion.

I posted my comment base on the fact Atlanta has more national register historic districts.

Fulton county which is like 1/4 the size of Harris county population and size nearly have a least 5x as much districts.

TEXAS - Harris County - Historic Districts

GEORGIA - Fulton County - Historic Districts

If you feel there better historic districts "better" is subjective which is why it's opinion.

Naw since Krogerdisco was responding to me which was a comparison to Houston, your comment was completely irrelevant to the on going conversation because you wasn't.

Quote:
There's a difference between traveling and living in places. I've lived in several more cities than Atlanta. You travel some place, its new, you like it, eat good food, see a few good sights, maybe sit in traffic here and there..then you go home.. you live someplace, you get to know it..it grows on you..you see its flaws and its strengths..and after having lived in several cities.. I can say for certainty in this modern era..Atlanta has alot more flaws than strengths.
Didn't I just say I not even from Atlanta...

Quote:
How? Can you get on MARTA and take it 150 miles in ANY between direction in a maximum of 3 transfers? Because you can in Seattle. Most of Atlanta's services don't even leave I-285 with the exception of North Fulton and even then is still dwarfed in comparison to how far you could go on a Bus in Seattle.. Do I really have to draw it out again? I mean I was hoping it would have clicked the first time...

That is the exact same distance as the northern most exit on GA-400 (just north of Cumming) to Macon GA... completely filled with Bus Service.. can you do that in Atlanta Uh No... and you know what makes it even more embarassing? Seattle's metro area has about 2 - 3 million people LESS than Atlanta's and yet still outshines in public transportation.

I have used both Sound Transit, and MARTA on my daily commutes. There are things I can do on Sound Transit (including even sleeping on the bus) I wouldn't dare do on MARTA. There are places I can reach on Sound Transit that would require miles and miles of Driving in Atlanta...

I did forget that MARTA is indeed considered a HEAVY RAIL TRAIN. Unfortunately though, this doesn't seem to help that its OVERALL daily ridership IN ALL COMBINED DIRECTIONS is lower than the actual drivers that cross the now demolished I-85 bridge.

The biggest difference that I see is that a city with 3 million less people actually has one and Atlanta does not..regardless of how you want to make "terms" with the truth doesn't change anything.

Darn, I guess you're right.. Atlanta failed to implement a sufficient rail system.. can't compare the two! Oh well.

Point is, it was never intended to be as massive as the scale as MARTA. Seattle already have a reliable transit system before that train even came about.
You literally just posted those pics.

Again you said ""Seattle still boasts a transportation system ten times better than Atlanta's without exaggerating"

mean while Seattle times writing they wish they had Atlanta HRT system.

Even if wanted say Seattle system is better which debatable but ""a transportation system ten times better without exaggerating" When Atlanta actually got a HRT system?

Atlanta did not lose..... Seattle did not lose..... you lose for that exaggeration.

See would have points in some areas but over do it
Quote:
So you want me to taylor the next facts more to your liking because you can't read a map which clearly emphasizes that Seattle of which is smaller than Atlanta has a superior transit system? Okay man..you know what I'm going to give it my best shot.. I'm going to try just for you...ready?

Lets begin...

Fact #7 INRIX Global Traffic Scorecard - Atlanta is sitting at #9 - DOWN FROM #8 woohoo..oh crap Seattle is at #23.. AND HOUSTON ISNT EVEN ON THE FIRST PAGE...

Fact #8 I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt here man..Lets compare DAILY RIDERSHIP #'s between Atlanta, Seattle... Then Houston as well. Note that Seattle's transit systems are composed of many entities that are all incorporated into "Sound Transit" .. While Atlanta's transit is incorporated into many entities, they are NOT incorporated into any SINGLE specific organization (meaning MARTA is MARTA, CCT is CCT, Gwinnett Transit is Gwinnett Transit) .. Also note... the Metro area of Atlanta is about 3 million people larger than Seattle's.. giving Atlanta the upperhand in the category of ridership potential.. Lets see how this plays out.

Atlanta's MARTA system ALONE handles an average Daily Ridership of aproximately 433,000 commuters per day - that is combined between Bus and Rail.

Seattle, King County, and Tacoma's systems make a combined total of 576,000 commuters per day. Note these systems are incorporated into Sound Transit.. But even if we DID consider Gwinnett Transit and CCT - Atlanta would STILL be down and Sound transit services a city with almost half as many people... Darn Atlanta I really tried to give you one.

Right under 307,000 riders.. Yay, it beat MARTA... although.. their rail system is only a quarter of the size.. hey Atlanta has to win somewhere.

no no see you miss what I'm saying even with the point you state is doesn't constitute 10x better!

it's funny cause you not getting it.

Quote:

What I am stating is comparing two cities by their visitors is moot... there are no dedicated systems.. As for Atlanta having less history than Chicago or DC? Um..maybe because thats the truth? Both cities are indeed older than Atlanta, Chicago only slightly, but D.C. by half a century... and Chicago was ALSO burnt to the ground and came back.
Well in all the "moot visitor data' Atlanta have more visitors than Houston

Quote:
Easily.. anyone who has been remotely outside of Atlanta would quickly find out that Atlanta is nothing more or less than another major city and is vastly behind in infrastructure and engineering.
Again opinion

Quote:
A land port city initially because of the railroad, now because of Delta and several communications industries.. however.. so is Seattle.. Amazon, Google, Microsoft, Boeing..ect.. Just about every Major City has AT&T, even Tampa Florida... so that doesn't really account for much. Atlanta has Hewlett Packard, but so does Houston and Los Angeles.. trust me when I say...I know very clearly where I am..and where everything else is.
This quote is so weird is it's saying so much yet nothing at all,

The point is this Atlanta vs Houston thread but you don't want to do a Atlanta vs Houston comparison which basically derailing

In stead you post irreverent comparison of Atlanta to other cities,

You have a few truth in your transportation comments but again they irreverent to this thread.

Then you mix it with bunch of opinions about identity of places

You can't make Atlantans like or diss like Atlanta or any other city to the way you seem them.

When you said
Quote:
I ask because alot of people treat this place like its gold and I just don't see it.
That's an emotional irrational thought. this the center of these long rant here

To some people Jackson Mississippi is gold... and that's fine

You don't care for Atlanta fine..... but your opinion is not a fact..... you can't argue with someone who does because they do and try to argue your opinion is a fact.

Old 05-13-2017, 01:13 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,791,370 times
Quote:
Nah.... fieldm is literally the only Atlanta poster saying negative things about Houston, and that didn't happen to latter on in the thread, it may have been a reaction to a Atlanta basher later in the thread in the first place. but I get to that in a second.

Early in thread everyone was just responding to OP divisiveness

my point earlier

Anyways AnsleyPark, LovinDecatur, Mutiny77, coolieandre, GatorsZ71, ATLTJL and Myself starting pro and cons to both cities, and gave Houston compliments in areas, there was a few back in forth with Texyn but these were general positive educational interactions. heck Texyn taught me about a Palm Tree that grows in the South I didn't know exist. That kind of point of city data to learn stuff.

isawooty, sedimenjerry, waronxmas, bu2, Atlwarrior, JMatl, Pemgin, oobanks, magnetar, tikigod311 also comment in thread and didn't say anything negative towards Houston either. They just comment to OP or the Atlanta bashes later on.

Basically weren't that many posters saying negative things about Houston

The thread started to turn here

Need4Camaro made outrageous about Atlanta, there more but oblivious Atlanta posters are going to respond

From that several Atlanta posters respond to

The next page

fieldm made negative post about Houston, again after Need4Camaro made his negative comment about Atlanta the page before. Most Atlanta posters were still saying positive stuff Houston.

The Texas postes responded to fieldm, but they was civil.

Then krogerDisco who known the troll the Atlanta section responded to fieldm

All the Atlanta posters started to respond to krogerDisco

My point it wasn't multiple Atlanta posters downing Houston, Generally Atlanta posters were positive.

The thread went side ways because of Need4Camaro and krogerDisco
You may need glasses because this is definitely not fieldm:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
Houston sucks for the following reasons:

Its Location

If you would like further detail: mind numbingly flat, ecologically boring (marshes are only entertaining for so long), inhospitable weather, and worst of all, its proximity to two other major cities. Atlanta is the undisputed capitol of the SE. Houston has to compete w/ Austin for the arts and Dallas for metropolitan stuffs. Atlanta doesn't so it all naturally arrives here. That last point is the part most people don't think about, but it makes for an inferior city.
...so, yeah, several posters bashing Houston, and (as usual) their comments go unchecked by their fellow Georgians

Old 05-13-2017, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Ugh I'm not going to go back and nitpick everything - I truly don't have the time.

If you actually look at the images you'll notice one of them is a city of Atlanta, not Seattle as by my first debate..They're not the same as what I originally posted. They compare the transit map of Seatle to the region of Altanta.. stating very specifically..if Seattle was Atlanta, they would have bus services from Cumming to Macon..and its quite clear that Atlanta does not possess that. I also posted factual numbers proving that Seattle has a much more functional transit system than MARTA in that same post by their daily ridership values alone- which is not debatable..you just want to make it debatable. I also posted an article showing how poorly Atlanta's transit system is currently doing. Seattle may want the model of heavy rail trains that Atlanta has, but it does not mean that they are not fairing as well or better than MARTA, it just means in the grand scheme of their own transport system, it would make an improvement.. So you want me to bring facts, and when I bring them you don't want to hear it.. what do you call that? a hypocrite.

Have a good day sir!

Old 05-13-2017, 09:09 AM

9,818 posts, read 7,937,279 times
Quote:
You're fun.

cool.

of car miles
vs

of bus miles.

Lets begin...

Cute tirade, bro.

You have obviously landed in the wrong place. You would think such an obviously urbane and well traveled guy would know about a little thing called due diligence.

Time for you to return to Seattle. Enjoy the perpetual gridlock, months of grey mist and increasingly insane cost of living.

Buh-bye.

Old 05-13-2017, 09:45 AM

1,151 posts, read 1,309,750 times
Quote:
Ugh I'm not going to go back and nitpick everything - I truly don't have the time.

If you actually look at the images you'll notice one of them is a city of Atlanta, not Seattle as by my first debate..They're not the same as what I originally posted. They compare the transit map of Seatle to the region of Altanta.. stating very specifically..if Seattle was Atlanta, they would have bus services from Cumming to Macon..and its quite clear that Atlanta does not possess that. I also posted factual numbers proving that Seattle has a much more functional transit system than MARTA in that same post by their daily ridership values alone- which is not debatable..you just want to make it debatable. I also posted an article showing how poorly Atlanta's transit system is currently doing. Seattle may want the model of heavy rail trains that Atlanta has, but it does not mean that they are not fairing as well or better than MARTA, it just means in the grand scheme of their own transport system, it would make an improvement.. So you want me to bring facts, and when I bring them you don't want to hear it.. what do you call that? a hypocrite.

Have a good day sir!

Why the heck are you taking about Seattle in a Houston vs Atlanta thread? What is your deal?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta