Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2017, 12:06 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,298,453 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Take my lunch to Woodruff Park
From Dunwoody?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2017, 12:18 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,872,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
From Dunwoody?
From Downtown, who said anything about Dunwoody?

Old 06-05-2017, 12:22 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,007,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
I don't buy the 1 in 5 claim. Every time I leave the office and go to lunch the restaurants are mobbed. I had the day off last Thursday and decided to go to Krog Street Market. It was just as busy at noon as it is at 7 pm. I just got back from Peachtree Center a little while ago. It was jam-packed. Zero tables available. Broad Street is a zoo every day at lunch. CNN food court always has lines at every restaurant. And it's not just fast food type places. Just about every table service restaurant downtown is near full whenever I go there.
The "mobbed" is part of the problem, Getting in and out fast enough to lunch during "lunch" time, If everyone (the other 80%) also were all out doing lunch the lines/time would be 2-3 hours each day. Many of the restaurants / FastFood Places just can do the volume.

Old 06-05-2017, 12:58 PM
JPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
From Downtown, who said anything about Dunwoody?
I thought you've said in the past that you work near Perimeter Mall.

Old 06-05-2017, 01:02 PM
JPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
The "mobbed" is part of the problem, Getting in and out fast enough to lunch during "lunch" time, If everyone (the other 80%) also were all out doing lunch the lines/time would be 2-3 hours each day. Many of the restaurants / FastFood Places just can do the volume.
The crowds surely deter some people, but 80%? I don't believe that. There's a Yogi Berra quote about this exact scenario.

Old 06-05-2017, 02:53 PM

8,486 posts, read 15,002,372 times
It depends on the neighborhood where your office is in or whether or not your office has a cafeteria.

When I worked in Downtown and Midtown, on most days I would walk to eat lunch out. There are plenty of options and all within easy walking distance. While I have no personal experience with it, the Lenox/Buckhead Financial district area is conducive to that as well. During my stint in Alpharetta though there is no walking to lunch, and it was a royal pain in the you know what in order to drive to lunch. I just ended up bringing my lunch because it was such a hassle.

This all flies out the window though if I'm in an office with a decent cafeteria. A lot of companies are starting to put more in to this now as it is seen as a perk of working there.

Old 06-06-2017, 02:27 AM

4,790 posts, read 6,876,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
We didn't go out to lunch every single day but it was common to step out 3 or 4 times a week.

These weren't elaborate meals. Often we'd just pop into the S&W for a vegetable plate, or grab a hot dog at Woolworth's or one of Harold's massive sandwiches.

It was really more about stretching your legs and being part of the city's street life. Downtown was still a major shopping center in those days so lunch was also a good time to run a quick errand or two, or perhaps get your suit pressed or your shoes shined. I think folks tended to be nicer to one another because you never knew when you'd bump into somebody on the street corner.
the s&w, that's a few years back isn't it? you would have loved the other day when my family went down to macon for gregg allman's funeral and ate at the S&S— that one's still around... and the only one i know where it seems like there are young and old people too. more and more these days i have been thinking about leaving metro atlanta entirely. it's just getting too expensive, too busy, too high strung. it seems like everybody is always wanting more, and i definitely used to be like that, but these days it seems i find myself wanting less.

Old 06-06-2017, 06:03 AM

81 posts, read 92,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
It depends on the neighborhood where your office is in or whether or not your office has a cafeteria.

When I worked in Downtown and Midtown, on most days I would walk to eat lunch out. There are plenty of options and all within easy walking distance. While I have no personal experience with it, the Lenox/Buckhead Financial district area is conducive to that as well. During my stint in Alpharetta though there is no walking to lunch, and it was a royal pain in the you know what in order to drive to lunch. I just ended up bringing my lunch because it was such a hassle.

This all flies out the window though if I'm in an office with a decent cafeteria. A lot of companies are starting to put more in to this now as it is seen as a perk of working there.
Thankfully I work on Windward and there's tons of places to walk to on lunch.

Old 06-06-2017, 06:45 AM

986 posts, read 1,866,765 times
I work in film production and we usually send an assistant out to buy lunch for the whole department and bring it back. So I guess technically we are supporting the restaurants, but we aren't eating there at the restaurant.

Some movies we have a caterer serve us lunch at our office.

Old 06-06-2017, 07:03 AM
JPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
you would have loved the other day when my family went down to macon for gregg allman's funeral and ate at the S&S— that one's still around... and the only one i know where it seems like there are young and old people too.
Do you mean H&H Soul Food? That's a great place. I had lunch there last year when I went down to tour the Big House/Allman's museum. Everyone in the place seemed to know each other, and I would up having a nice chat with some of the employees and diners. Very warm and welcoming folks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta