Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2017, 07:08 AM

11,811 posts, read 8,018,631 times

Advertisements

So on my way to San Francisco about a month ago, passing through several states I just couldn't help but notice how seemingly behind we are on this conversion. Several artery roads in the metro area and several residential roads have completed this, but our interstates remain untouched with the exception of the implementation of brand new lights.

I was quite surprised that even Arkansas street lamps for the entire stretch of I-40 were entirely LED's, same goes for Oklahoma, Texas, Mississippi, New Mexico, and alot of California. I am hoping that they convert the ones on I-75/I-85 and I-20..(and I'm really hoping that that build new ones on stretches without illumination)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2017, 07:16 AM

5,633 posts, read 5,360,592 times
That low-energy, nearly maintenance-free solution is just a liberal agaenda against freedom.

Old 10-13-2017, 08:11 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,872,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
So on my way to San Francisco about a month ago, passing through several states I just couldn't help but notice how seemingly behind we are on this conversion. Several artery roads in the metro area and several residential roads have completed this, but our interstates remain untouched with the exception of the implementation of brand new lights.

I was quite surprised that even Arkansas street lamps for the entire stretch of I-40 were entirely LED's, same goes for Oklahoma, Texas, Mississippi, New Mexico, and alot of California. I am hoping that they convert the ones on I-75/I-85 and I-20..(and I'm really hoping that that build new ones on stretches without illumination)
In those states, does the DOT pay to maintain them? In Georgia the jurisdictions must maintain them, so that may be a reason why.

Old 10-13-2017, 08:22 AM

2,167 posts, read 2,831,286 times
People lost their collective minds when the LED's where installed in residential areas around here.

Old 10-13-2017, 08:38 AM

7,359 posts, read 6,529,813 times
In what way? Good or bad?

Old 10-13-2017, 02:08 PM

3,913 posts, read 5,231,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
In those states, does the DOT pay to maintain them? In Georgia the jurisdictions must maintain them, so that may be a reason why.
They are the biggest no-brainer to put in your house, business, etc.....why:

1) Lifespan. Typically, COMMERCIAL grade LED's last 100,000 hours
2) Solid state....vibration and wind is irrelevant
3) Cost. They are finally at a point where they are very cost-effective and the ROI is incredibly short when you consider their lifespan
4) Maintenance. Longer life means LESS truck rolls which means LOWER overall cost of ownership
5) luminosity....if you have purchased any, you know....
6) power consumption....they burn roughly 1/2 or less, the power of conventional lighting
7) inventory/warehousing...small point but, typically a smaller footprint, look in parking lots and you will see them, popping up everywhere, for the same reasons
8) lowers the drain on the grid...an every crumbling problem in America

Cons:

1) Conversion. Municipalities like all government agencies have to "talk about it" for about a year, then plan it with a vendor for another and spend the next 3 converting them....ugh....
2) Truck rolls....number one incremental expense....when contractors are used there is a considerable cost. The cost to roll a guy into a parking lot to replace one mercury halide light is roughly $700-$800 per trip to include the shorter lifespan of the new bulb....sigh.....
3) Ain't broke, don't fix it....it's French for lazy guvmint' workers don't really want to do much except pursue a pension on your nickel....forever....you want that?
4) Lights are working now, hard sell to boards that are scrambling for every poorly spent nickel they get from the citizens as it is.

Anyone with an open mind spend 30 minutes talking to someone about the cost to install and maintain these would have you running at city hall to kick them in the assets and MAKE them start saving YOU money/taxes.....novel.....not much ground there as they will simply spend it on something else like printers for every employee so they don't have to walk to an MFP.....

Old 10-13-2017, 07:18 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,937,091 times
I love them. Westpark Tollway has them and they're great. Typically I don't like night driving on freeways as it's harder to see other cars but it's so bright with the LEDs that I don't even notice that much of a difference. Every car is illuminated. So much nicer than driving on the completely dark 285.

Old 10-13-2017, 11:15 PM

3,661 posts, read 3,940,346 times
They could have used a slightly warmer hue for Georgia Power's LED replacements. I don't like the cheap-looking 1/2 missing style of the fixtures either. They look like a lower lens piece should be attached, an unfinished appearance in my opinion.

Just be ecstatic that our highway lights are working after 8 years of being broken and turned off.

Our decorated bridges look stupid with light poles completely opposite of every aspect of Atlanta's signature black decorative pole designs.

Old 10-14-2017, 12:19 AM

2,197 posts, read 2,261,599 times
I think hearing that Atlanta has a "signature light pole design" would be news to anyone who lives outside of one or two very specific neighborhoods in the city.

Old 10-14-2017, 07:22 AM

6,563 posts, read 12,054,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post

I'm sorry that we're not San Fransokyo, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta