Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 05:01 PM

3,661 posts, read 3,938,682 times

Advertisements

I know that I remember seeing 4 closely-spaced cooling towers somewhere south of Atlanta when I fly in and out of Hartfield. But looking online all I can find is 2 reactors south of Augusta. Am I losing my mind?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2011, 05:24 PM

10,744 posts, read 13,384,671 times
Not sure what you saw; however most power plants need cooling towers, particularly coal (of course, hydro doesn't). I do know we have a coal plant or two around town. All the nukes are near Augusta and Blakely.

Old 03-31-2011, 05:27 PM

1,868 posts, read 3,067,952 times
I think you might be. I just looked up all operating nuclear plants in the US and there are none near Atlanta. GA only has four and they're all in south GA near Savannah.

NRC: Find Operating Nuclear Power Reactors by Location or Name

Old 03-31-2011, 05:40 PM

2,590 posts, read 4,531,451 times
You may be thinking about Plant Bowen which is actually NW of Atlanta between Cartersville and Rome. It's coal fired but for some reason they use those nuke-looking cooling towers. I about flipped out when I rambled past it on a random drive(oh, when gas was cheap...).

Plant Bowen, Georgia Power Company, near Euharlee, Bartow County, Georgia 2 | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/alan_cressler/5010826262/ - broken link)

http://www.airphotona.com/image.asp?...e=&pagenum=386

Old 03-31-2011, 07:18 PM

1,531 posts, read 3,100,538 times
Nope, there's a coal fired plant east of Forsyth, GA that can be seen from I-75. I bet those are the towers.

OR, I do believe there's a coal fired plant with cooling towers on the Chattahoochee north of Columbus.

Old 03-31-2011, 07:46 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,770,863 times
The other site that comes to mind is a coal fired plant north of Macon, south of MCdonough

Macon, ga - Google Maps

There is a good chance you might have seen this if you flew from further south, further west of north west and the plane looped south to land going east to west.

You can usually find these sites near reservoirs, rivers, and places with rail access.

The nuclear plant across the river from the Savannah River Site south of Augusta, Votgle, has cooling towers, but there are only two. Georgia other Nuclear plant doesn't have cooling towers and it is south of Vidalia. The ones in South Carolina and Alabama I don't believe have the -traditional- looking cooling towers. There is a plant near Chattanooga that has two towers.

There are a good many more, but most don't have cooling towers or only have one or two towers.

Cooling towers are just used for cooling. Therefore they are frequently used for different types of power plants. Inversely, many nuclear plants don't have cooling towers and have other cooling methods like a river with a high capacity river flow, a large reservoir, etc...

Old 03-31-2011, 08:19 PM

2,590 posts, read 4,531,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 912 View Post
Nope, there's a coal fired plant east of Forsyth, GA that can be seen from I-75. I bet those are the towers.

OR, I do believe there's a coal fired plant with cooling towers on the Chattahoochee north of Columbus.
Probably so. I didn't know that one existed. I thought Bowen was the only coal plant with those types of towers.

Old 04-01-2011, 06:31 AM

2,206 posts, read 6,891,218 times
Default flying towers

Every time I see the title of this thread, I get a mental picture of four cooling towers in flight.

Old 04-01-2011, 06:59 AM

3,661 posts, read 3,938,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTL3000 View Post
You may be thinking about Plant Bowen which is actually NW of Atlanta between Cartersville and Rome. It's coal fired but for some reason they use those nuke-looking cooling towers. I about flipped out when I rambled past it on a random drive(oh, when gas was cheap...).

Plant Bowen, Georgia Power Company, near Euharlee, Bartow County, Georgia 2 | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/alan_cressler/5010826262/ - broken link)

Airphoto - Aerial Photo: Large Power Plant, Bartow County, Georgia
Thank you, this must be what I was seeing over the years.

Old 04-01-2011, 07:16 AM

767 posts, read 2,291,506 times
[quote=cwkimbro;18534686]Georgia other Nuclear plant doesn't h river ave cooling towers and it is south of Vidalia. QUOTE]

Plant E. I. Hatch is on the Altamaha river 12 miles North of Baxley and has cooling towers. These towers are different compared to the type typically shown in every anti nuke ad. Plant Hatch's cooling towers have fans to supply the air flow. The tall type shown in most news articles are called natural draft towers and have no fans. Most power plants ,fossel or nuke ,have some type of cooling tower.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta