Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2014, 11:15 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,877,894 times

Advertisements

Article: Enthusiasm for Adair Park is Somewhat Infectious - Park Life - Curbed Atlanta

A welcome to Adair Park – an Atlanta neighborhood that’s a historic gem | SaportaReport

Adair Park

Quote:
Champions of historic neighborhoods on Atlanta's southwestern flank will find much rah-rah fodder in a Saporta Report story this week that sings the praises of Adair Park while tracing its circa-1890 founding as a "bungalow suburb." The writer's 24-year-old son, like a steady stream of motivated younger Atlantans, found a deal on a rehabbed home too sweet to refuse, closed the sale last month, and is enjoying a strong sense of community and optimism for the area's chances of thriving.

Nestled against Metropolitan Parkway and the Beltline's near-future Southwest Corridor, Adair Park has recently been a topic of discussion on these pages and elsewhere, along with brethren like West End and Westview — places with rough edges but relatively cheap housing stock where many hope a Beltline-spurred resurgence is in the works. As one real estate group billing themselves as "The Beltline Team" once noted, Adair Park enjoys four parks and is slated to share a major greenspace and possible mixed-use node called "Murphy's Crossing" with sister neighborhoods. The Saporta Report article paints enthusiasm for the area as being palpable — if not infectious.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2014, 11:37 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,872,089 times
Its a true jewel.

Old 08-05-2014, 12:02 PM

3,615 posts, read 7,778,928 times
Adair Park is shooting up in value right now. I wish I had purchased the Mechanicsville/Pittsburgh area investment property there instead. It would have saved me 1 year of holding and/or renting that property. I don't think I'll be able to sell it until next year. In Adair park, I probably could have sold it this year.

With the amount of tree buffer and parks Adair Park has, it's definitely going to take off. That and Capitol View Manor look primed.

One thing of note: Huge properties are still not doing well, even in Adair Park. There's a beautiful 6br victorian selling for under $100k right on Metropolitan Parkway. If you are a bit of the adventurous type, and wouldn't mind living in Adair Park, and won't mind spending years renovating it, I'd snatch it up. In a few years, it could be worth $500k (but don't quote me on that, nothing is guaranteed in a speculative market)
Edit: Nevermind, it's off the market.

Old 08-05-2014, 04:34 PM

2,613 posts, read 4,147,380 times
I was just about to ask you to post the link.

How do I locate more of these homes? Did you search by zip code? I'd love to snag one of these large homes for 100K.... I've got a friend who owns a home renovation company and I'm sure he'd love to tackle the project.

Quote:
Originally Posted by netdragon View Post
Adair Park is shooting up in value right now. I wish I had purchased the Mechanicsville/Pittsburgh area investment property there instead. It would have saved me 1 year of holding and/or renting that property. I don't think I'll be able to sell it until next year. In Adair park, I probably could have sold it this year.

With the amount of tree buffer and parks Adair Park has, it's definitely going to take off. That and Capitol View Manor look primed.

One thing of note: Huge properties are still not doing well, even in Adair Park. There's a beautiful 6br victorian selling for under $100k right on Metropolitan Parkway. If you are a bit of the adventurous type, and wouldn't mind living in Adair Park, and won't mind spending years renovating it, I'd snatch it up. In a few years, it could be worth $500k (but don't quote me on that, nothing is guaranteed in a speculative market)
Edit: Nevermind, it's off the market.

Old 08-05-2014, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelySummer View Post
I was just about to ask you to post the link.

How do I locate more of these homes? Did you search by zip code? I'd love to snag one of these large homes for 100K.... I've got a friend who owns a home renovation company and I'm sure he'd love to tackle the project.
You need to buy them wholesale. One way is foreclosure auctions. Otherwise, you can buy from investors who just bought a package from the bank containing multiple properties, who will flip them to you for a profit, but usually still cheaper than retail. Or do things like looking for 'make me move' listings on Zillow (which aren't listed homes) and/or contact the owners. I can get you in contact with an agent that specializes in investment properties but of course you'll need to pay the commission on an investment property if the seller won't.

Old 08-06-2014, 08:31 PM

294 posts, read 451,286 times
Netrdragon can I have their contact information?

Old 08-06-2014, 08:41 PM

sent

Old 08-07-2014, 05:37 AM

298 posts, read 373,941 times
Quote:
sent
Do you mind shooting me that contact as well? Also, does this person have a specific area they specialize in or just Atlanta / metro area in general? Thanks.

Old 08-07-2014, 08:42 PM

2,613 posts, read 4,147,380 times
Thanks netdragon. These are good tips. I would like to have that information if the offer still stands. I took a look at Adair Park and there are a TON of foreclosures and pre-foreclosures, it seems. What happened to this area? Why are there so many empty homes?

Unfortunately, I only saw about 3-4 homes that were 4 bedrooms +. And then most of them were broken up into smaller units and I'd probably have the headache of pulling kitchens out of several freaking units to put the place all back together. I hate when people break up beautiful homes. They have done this in Chicago also with the old brownstones and greystones. It's a shame.

What is the commission on the investment property to which you are referring? Why would I go through an agent and pay any commission when the properties are all over the internet? Isn't the real issue taking your reno guy to make sure you aren't buying a money pit? Let me know how this goes! Thanks.

Quote:
You need to buy them wholesale. One way is foreclosure auctions. Otherwise, you can buy from investors who just bought a package from the bank containing multiple properties, who will flip them to you for a profit, but usually still cheaper than retail. Or do things like looking for 'make me move' listings on Zillow (which aren't listed homes) and/or contact the owners. I can get you in contact with an agent that specializes in investment properties but of course you'll need to pay the commission on an investment property if the seller won't.

Old 08-07-2014, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Thanks netdragon. These are good tips. I would like to have that information if the offer still stands. I took a look at Adair Park and there are a TON of foreclosures and pre-foreclosures, it seems. What happened to this area? Why are there so many empty homes?
Gentrification right before the market crash left things in pretty bad shape. It's actually a lot better now.

Quote:
What is the commission on the investment property to which you are referring? Why would I go through an agent and pay any commission when the properties are all over the internet? Isn't the real issue taking your reno guy to make sure you aren't buying a money pit? Let me know how this goes! Thanks.
If they are retail, you're paying too much usually. You can look for "Make me move" stuff on Zillow. The agent will help you not get ripped off, and find you more investment properties typically. E.g. do you know how to make sure the house is free and clear and do you have the standard forms to protect yourself? He's not your typical agent, but focuses on this stuff. At the price they've already reached, the commission is worth it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta