Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2019, 04:22 PM

158 posts, read 244,422 times

Advertisements

Can anyone share and let me know what to expect. I am very aware that Cumming is quite a distance from Atlanta and tends to be a lot slower. But at this point in my life I am looking for that slower pace, but what is it like in terms of affordability, diversity and welcoming to new transplants and what will life be like

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2019, 04:59 PM

10,392 posts, read 11,487,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by icartp View Post
Can anyone share and let me know what to expect. I am very aware that Cumming is quite a distance from Atlanta and tends to be a lot slower. But at this point in my life I am looking for that slower pace, but what is it like in terms of affordability, diversity and welcoming to new transplants and what will life be like

Well, since a commute to and from work will not be factor for you, depending on your budget for housing, Cumming is a good place to target because of its location on the western shores of Lake Lanier (a popular spot for water recreation in an otherwise landlocked greater Atlanta metropolitan region) and because of its fairly close proximity to scenic Blue Ridge and southern Appalachian mountain ranges of North Georgia, Western North Carolina and Eastern Tennessee.

Like much (if not most) of the Atlanta metropolitan area, the Cumming area and surrounding Forsyth County (especially southern, central and western Forsyth County) is a major magnet for newcomers and transplants, so a newcomer like yourself should not feel unwelcome after moving there.

Diversity is also on the rise in the area (especially in southern Forsyth County) with Asian and Hispanic populations booming in an area that was virtually 100% white only about 3-4 decades ago.

The northern part of Cumming and Forsyth County is outer-suburban/exurban/semi-rural, while the southern part of Cumming and Forsyth County is trending increasingly heavily suburban as part of Atlanta's heavily developed northern suburbs.

Old 04-12-2019, 05:25 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,931,753 times
Honestly, Cumming is growing pretty fast. You may find a quiet place nearby soon ends up with subdivisions moving in. Not to say it's going to become some large suburb, but just be mindful. Look to the north, especially away from GA 400 where commuters may be more inclined to move

Old 04-12-2019, 06:07 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,944,452 times
I think the OP's information about Cumming is dated. Maybe 10 years or so ago it was considered outside the Atlanta metro, but no longer. I live in Milton and work in Roswell, my son lives in Cumming and works in Alpharetta. It just doesn't seem like much of a distance at all. Based on what my son is paying as well as a few others I know, prices aren't that much less than the rest of the Atlanta outskirts.

OP, why Cumming?

Old 04-13-2019, 02:08 AM

403 posts, read 619,251 times
If you really want slower pace and are retired, why not go further up to the N GA Mountains? The countryside is beautiful, you are still 2 hours from ATL and you don't have to put up with all of the congestion that is a bigger and bigger factor in the outer suburbs like Cumming.

Old 04-13-2019, 06:24 AM

158 posts, read 244,422 times
PeteATL41, CUMMING because I have been looking at properties in Alpharetta, Johns Creek, Milton, Roswell, and I find that I can get more for my money in Cumming and property taxes are significantly lower. And I am looking and very interested in a property in Cumming and I was concerned about the pace being too slow. I want a slower pace however I don't want to be away from everything and be bored out of my mind. Initially I was more interested in Johns Creek and Alpharetta because they are only about half hour from the ATL metro area but I find the prices to be too high and property taxes outrageously high.

Old 04-15-2019, 07:19 AM

1,145 posts, read 4,211,383 times
The southern part of Cumming is definitely not slow. As others have said, it’s basically becoming an extention of Alpharetta and Johns Creek. So you’ll get the extra traffic, but you’ll also get increased amenities (restaurants, retail, etc). It will feel no different than any other Atlanta suburb.

Old 04-15-2019, 07:39 AM

3,715 posts, read 3,696,275 times
My answer is solely anecdotal, in that I have several coworkers that live there and I get to hear their opinions.

Cumming can refer to quite a large area, as some people who live in Cumming live out in the country on lots of land, some on Lake Lanier, while others (like some others mentioned) are essentially in a continuation of Alpharetta. My boss said his neighborhood is fully 50% Indian, and it sounds like there is a sizeable Asian and Indian population that works at the tech companies in Alpharetta. Since Cumming is along the booming 400 highway, near the Alpharetta job center, and still has lots of buildable land, my guess is that it's anything but sleepy?

Old 07-01-2019, 12:17 PM

5 posts, read 5,102 times
I currently live in Cumming and would happy to give you some insight. What area of Cumming are you looking at specifically?

Old 07-01-2019, 03:02 PM

4,120 posts, read 6,606,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by icartp View Post
PeteATL41, CUMMING because I have been looking at properties in Alpharetta, Johns Creek, Milton, Roswell, and I find that I can get more for my money in Cumming and property taxes are significantly lower. And I am looking and very interested in a property in Cumming and I was concerned about the pace being too slow. I want a slower pace however I don't want to be away from everything and be bored out of my mind. Initially I was more interested in Johns Creek and Alpharetta because they are only about half hour from the ATL metro area but I find the prices to be too high and property taxes outrageously high.
I am closing on my new home in Cumming in late July & the property taxes of about %1 per 1000k is what drew me to the area, plus outstanding school.

My taxes in Savannah have crept up from $3800 in 2009 to $7100 this year, was just reassessed again this year, my new house will be $4100 per year & my new home is a $100k more expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta