Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2018, 05:29 PM

9,829 posts, read 7,262,857 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Are you talking about terminating MARTA rail service over the favoring of BRT along its route? or running them simultaneously like they do in Seattle's transit tunnel?
I'm just raising different possibilities. If the third-rail HRT system were converted to an overhead-powered LRT or BRT system, then dramatic system expansion/extensions would be a whole lot easier/cheaper, and without requiring mode transfers. Especially with BRT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2018, 05:33 PM

11,804 posts, read 8,012,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
I'm just raising different possibilities. If the third-rail HRT system were converted to an overhead-powered LRT or BRT system, then dramatic system expansion/extensions would be a whole lot easier/cheaper, and without requiring mode transfers. Especially with BRT.
Yeah but the conversion process would be extremely expensive, ontop of which I don't believe LRT have the same carrying capacity as HRT does. Also electric power BRT's are meant for local use only. They're extremely slow (Seattle transit tunnel busses were confined to a maximum of 25 MPH when on all electric, it had nothing to do with any speed limit, it was just the maximum speed of the vehicle when propelled by electricity vs natural gas or diesel..)

Old 06-20-2018, 06:50 PM
bu2

24,104 posts, read 14,885,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by autolycus25 View Post
The context of my comment was people ignoring the "buffer", getting into the managed lanes, and slowing traffic in those lanes, including the "BRT", to a crawl like all the general purpose lanes. I absolutely think people would pay $20-30 to keep going 50+mph when traffic is stopped in the general purpose lanes. I doubt people are willing to pay that to be in the same stop-and-go.

To Forhall: Enforcement is a lot simpler for the managed lanes than for HOV lanes. If you're in the lane, you pay the toll, no ifs and or buts. There are also significantly more cameras and toll card sensors to enforce the managed lanes than there are for the standard HOV lanes. The system automatically reads the Peach Pass and charges that account. If there's no Peach Pass in the car, the cameras grab the car's plate number and send a bill to the owner of the car. [basically what N4C said, although I don't entirely agree that people in North Fulton will just get some sort of automatic pass.]
You can't ignore a concrete buffer.

And people really don't drive through those pylons.

It all depends on what they mean by a buffer.

https://www.google.com/maps/@29.7842...7i13312!8i6656

This is an example of a pylon buffer. Some of these lanes have concrete buffers as you see on the left separating the west bound HOT lane from the east bound HOT lane.

Old 06-20-2018, 06:55 PM
bu2

24,104 posts, read 14,885,315 times
https://www.google.com/maps/@29.6629...7i13312!8i6656

The ones with concrete buffers like above have limited entrance and exit points.

Old 06-20-2018, 09:48 PM

296 posts, read 220,280 times
bu2, we don’t disagree about this. You responded to a comment without considering its context. I agree that these lanes will likely flow better than the 85 HOT crapfest because it should have actual buffers and proper dedicated interchanges.

Old 06-21-2018, 06:23 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
You can't ignore a concrete buffer.

And people really don't drive through those pylons.

It all depends on what they mean by a buffer.

https://www.google.com/maps/@29.7842...7i13312!8i6656

This is an example of a pylon buffer. Some of these lanes have concrete buffers as you see on the left separating the west bound HOT lane from the east bound HOT lane.
I will be optimistic that GDOT learned their lessons from 85 HOT lanes and at least make the buffer better than a double white strips.

Old 06-21-2018, 07:09 AM

296 posts, read 220,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
I will be optimistic that GDOT learned their lessons from 85 HOT lanes and at least make the buffer better than a double white strips.
I really hope so. Even some rumble strips, rumble bars, or something like this: https://inhabitat.com/armadillo-cool...safe-on-roads/

Old 06-21-2018, 08:49 AM

4,686 posts, read 6,139,412 times
Does anyone truly believe the people in Northern Suburbia are going to ride a Bus on GA 400, unless gas hits and stays at $4 and 400 traffic gets worse?

The only way this BRT would be successful is with comfortable GRTA type buses or the 60ft buses and offices providing shuttles to the 4 stops, so if people chose to take transit, they have a way to get to their office when they get to that stop. Also make parking available for locals like the Mansell and Windward Park and Ride has, along with a frequent schedule of 10 minutes and people might actually use it.

Old 06-21-2018, 09:24 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
Does anyone truly believe the people in Northern Suburbia are going to ride a Bus on GA 400, unless gas hits and stays at $4 and 400 traffic gets worse?

The only way this BRT would be successful is with comfortable GRTA type buses or the 60ft buses and offices providing shuttles to the 4 stops, so if people chose to take transit, they have a way to get to their office when they get to that stop. Also make parking available for locals like the Mansell and Windward Park and Ride has, along with a frequent schedule of 10 minutes and people might actually use it.
This is also for the employees who work along 400 and come from other areas. The BRT will operate 2-way, all day.

Old 06-21-2018, 09:48 AM

1,180 posts, read 984,482 times
I guess I might use it. It'd only be one transfer for me. I might look into some of the jobs recruiters are trying to sell me on out in Alpharetta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta