Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2018, 01:01 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,875,645 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
What was changed? It's easy to take shots without context.
What do you mean? If you are asking how an interchange that was relived of bottlenecks and "cured of traffic woes" is again traffic packed and labeled a bottleneck again 30 years later the answer is "Induced Demand" and the reality that expanded highway capacity simply encourages more people to fill that capacity in the long run resulting in even more traffic and more strain on the transportation system than if it was never expanded.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2018, 01:10 PM

3,661 posts, read 3,939,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
Clearly the only option is to continue to rack up huge debt overbuilding roads and highways that simply encourage more traffic.
Only states with lousy bond ratings borrow money to build roads. Illinois, for example.

States like Virginia, NC and Georgia only build when the money is there.

And whomever wrote that article just saw the 400 interchange project's cost and deemed it questionable without any further investigation into our special situation where 6 million people are funneled onto 4 or 5 interstates without any alternate routes thus making the few very important interchanges spectacularly expensive.

I emailed them a lengthy disagreeing explanation.

Old 07-12-2018, 01:18 PM

Quote:
What do you mean? If you are asking how an interchange that was relived of bottlenecks and "cured of traffic woes" is again traffic packed and labeled a bottleneck again 30 years later the answer is "Induced Demand" and the reality that expanded highway capacity simply encourages more people to fill that capacity in the long run resulting in even more traffic and more strain on the transportation system than if it was never expanded.
Growing population needs food, clothing, shelter transported on roads so CAPACITY MUST EXPAND OR EVERYONE'S QUALITY OF LIFE SUFFERS FROM more people added to same roads.

Old 07-12-2018, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J2rescue View Post
Again, that doesn't answer the question. Currently 400 is three lanes until the intersection with 400, where it becomes 4 lanes. Based on the work they've done, this looks like they are adding lanes much more than 2 miles from 285.
They are building to accommodate express lanes on I-285 and GA400, both in near future.

I'm sure 25 ramps, collector/distributor lanes are necessary.

Old 07-12-2018, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
Only states with lousy bond ratings borrow money to build roads. Illinois, for example.

States like Virginia, NC and Georgia only build when the money is there.

And whomever wrote that article just saw the 400 interchange project's cost and deemed it questionable without any further investigation into our special situation where 6 million people are funneled onto 4 or 5 interstates without any alternate routes thus making the few very important interchanges spectacularly expensive.

I emailed them a lengthy disagreeing explanation.
Um, no, GDOT is racking up plenty of debt to according to this. With the debt service of about $400M a year up from $26M in 2002. $400M in interest payments a year works out to three or four billion dollars in debt assuming a ~4% interest rate. Still a fair share of the hundreds of billions of debt racked up nationally and a 10x or 20x increase from 2002 and enough to build a half dozen boondoggles like this one on debt alone.

Also, more highways don't work either. Cities with more highways than Atlanta still have plenty of traffic too. That is not the solution if there was places to build them.

Old 07-12-2018, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
Growing population needs food, clothing, shelter transported on roads so CAPACITY MUST EXPAND OR EVERYONE'S QUALITY OF LIFE SUFFERS FROM more people added to same roads.
Unsubstantiated and false. Please tell me a single 1st world city that you feel suffers quality of life issues because their highways are not big enough (besides all of them because all of them have traffic, hint, hint, bigger highways don't improve traffic in the long run)

Old 07-12-2018, 01:32 PM

Quote:
But I thought when we rebuilt the I-85 at I-285 interchange it was going to cure our traffic woes...

TOM MORELAND INTERCHANGE CURES ATLANTA TRAFFIC WOES

They say in their that "The Tom Moreland Interchange relieved the worst bottlneck in the Atlanta freeway system." And now you are saying it is a bottleneck again?

It's almost like no matter how many millions we dump into reliving these "bottlenecks" that they just get clogged up again in the long term...
You are crying out for attention. You keep repeating a simple "narrative" without any real solutions.

You can't be intelligent to continue with a talking point that helps our mobility problems by ZERO PERCENT.

You are just trying to elicit responses for some sort of validation issue.

Move on.

Old 07-12-2018, 01:33 PM

5,110 posts, read 7,140,512 times
Quote:
If you are asking how an interchange that was relived of bottlenecks and "cured of traffic woes" is again traffic packed and labeled a bottleneck again 30 years later

Nope, that's not what I asked. I asked what was changed. What changes were done to the interchange.

Quote:
the answer is "Induced Demand" and the reality that expanded highway capacity simply encourages more people to fill that capacity in the long run resulting in even more traffic and more strain on the transportation system than if it was never expanded.
Yes, it does. However, your fallacy is that you fail to see other issues surrounding traffic and other solutions.

I refer such items in my earlier comment in this thread.

Old 07-12-2018, 01:38 PM

6,503 posts, read 6,121,383 times
Quote:
Um, no, GDOT is racking up plenty of debt to according to this. With the debt service of about $400M a year up from $26M in 2002. $400M in interest payments a year works out to three or four billion dollars in debt assuming a ~4% interest rate. Still a fair share of the hundreds of billions of debt racked up nationally and a 10x or 20x increase from 2002 and enough to build a half dozen boondoggles like this one on debt alone.

Also, more highways don't work either. Cities with more highways than Atlanta still have plenty of traffic too. That is not the solution if there was places to build them.
IIRC most of that debt was due to the disaster known as "Fast Forward" which took place in the mid-2000s under Gov. Perdue (and nearly killed GDOT).

Old 07-12-2018, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
Nope, that's not what I asked. I asked what was changed. What changes were done to the interchange.
The entire interchange was rebuilt. Probably on a bigger scale than what is now planned for 400 @ 285 (400/285 will "only" be four levels, 85/285 is five levels).

Before:

After:

Let the 85/285 interchange rebuild be a lesson. It does not solve traffic and after spending hundreds of millions of dollars we will be back to complaining about traffic there and calling it a bottleneck again and left with nothing but more debt to show for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta