Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2018, 11:05 AM

11,817 posts, read 8,027,753 times

Advertisements

...I felt like I was back in Texas.
It was pretty much what I was expecting.
It zigs over offramp then under overpasses and then above the onramp. It has a few bridges that literally make you feel like you're in an aircraft and very questionable curves... (especially curve that merges you into the HOV lane in the center of the highway at the I-285 interchange.
)... Speed limit was rather low too...

..its okay I guess... but I would have rathered them install it in the median with pylons separating traffic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2018, 12:02 PM

4,757 posts, read 3,369,366 times
Is that the one that runs from the I-575 in Cherokee County? Did you feel as if it was really express?

Old 11-23-2018, 12:25 PM

16,707 posts, read 29,542,355 times
Should’ve been a MARTA line.

If they could build this, then could’ve built MARTA.

Old 11-23-2018, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerD View Post
Is that the one that runs from the I-575 in Cherokee County? Did you feel as if it was really express?
Only if the main lanes are congested could I see it being beneficial otherwise with all the curves and dodging it does and then worrying about finding yourself smashing through oncoming traffic reverse flow gates you kind of have to go slower and be cautious to a decree where you cant easily make up time in those lanes when. I-75 is moving ... When I was here last month I was on I-75 and while traffic was separated and doesn't have to worry about merging vehicles, they weren't really out pacing general flow traffic. During commute hours it probably does its job... it's just very crude on how it's designed by how its bypassing and dodging just to stay within I-75 ROW.

I like the LED streetlights but another thing now is they left all the streetlights in the median of I-75 off. I was kind of hoping they would replace them (they are fairly old now) atleast to bring them up to modern standard so the whole Interstate looks unified but nope they left Cobb in the dark and lit up only the toll lanes so if you want more light than headlights then you gotta pay to see it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post

I agree. I would never have voted the construction of this lane over ANY rail line construction in that direction.

Old 11-23-2018, 05:21 PM

1,329 posts, read 1,316,251 times
A few comments:

If you drive these on a daily basis, like I do, the curves, ascents and descents quickly become familiar and pose no real issues. The first time I drove on them, I was a bit nervous, as I didn't know what was coming, but within a week, I was completely used to them. I would much rather drive on this two-lane highway than subject my sanity to the multiple lanes of the main part of I-75.

As for the lighting on the main section of I-75, those lights have been dim for a decade. The copper wiring was somehow stolen for its scrap value during the recession. I believe that they're actually the responsibility of the City of Marietta, and the city is studying the idea of replacing them with LEDs that will be more efficient and less exposed to potential theft.

I agree that I would rather see rail in the corridor, but frankly I think we need both, and am happy to use these lanes until rail comes, at which point I will probably be close to retirement anyhow.

Old 11-23-2018, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evannole View Post
A few comments:

If you drive these on a daily basis, like I do, the curves, ascents and descents quickly become familiar and pose no real issues. The first time I drove on them, I was a bit nervous, as I didn't know what was coming, but within a week, I was completely used to them. I would much rather drive on this two-lane highway than subject my sanity to the multiple lanes of the main part of I-75.

As for the lighting on the main section of I-75, those lights have been dim for a decade. The copper wiring was somehow stolen for its scrap value during the recession. I believe that they're actually the responsibility of the City of Marietta, and the city is studying the idea of replacing them with LEDs that will be more efficient and less exposed to potential theft.

I agree that I would rather see rail in the corridor, but frankly I think we need both, and am happy to use these lanes until rail comes, at which point I will probably be close to retirement anyhow.
I'm trying to wrap my head around how someone could steal copper wiring secured in the median without being caught

Old 11-23-2018, 10:17 PM

16,707 posts, read 29,542,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post

I agree. I would never have voted the construction of this lane over ANY rail line construction in that direction.
Quote:

Amen.

Old 11-23-2018, 11:01 PM

10,396 posts, read 11,511,207 times
Quote:

MARTA? In Cobb County? Maybe after the county completes the process of turning from deep-red to purple to blue and the Democrats take firm control of the Cobb County Board of Commissioners.

But with the Cobb County BoC still being firmly (albeit less firmly after the results of the 2018 elections) under the control of Republicans (Republicans who often have to win primaries where a majority of the voters continue to be virulently anti-MARTA and anti-Atlanta), the possibility of a MARTA rail line (and probably any rail line that directly connects Cobb County to the City of Atlanta) ever operating in Cobb will continue to be completely out of the question.

Time appears to be running out on total and overwhelming GOP domination of a county that in the not-too-recent past was known to be a legendarily Republican-dominated county in Cobb.

But for the time being, Republicans still hold a commanding 4-1 advantage on the Cobb BoC and GOP primary voters likely will never allow a Republican politician to even think of suggesting that MARTA be extended from the neighboring City of Atlanta into Cobb County.

...That is, unless Georgia's Republican-controlled state government takes over control of MARTA and/or the City of Atlanta were to become headed at some point in the not-too-distant future by a politician (preferably a white politician that is thought to be a 'secret Republican' like a Mary Norwood) that has heavy appeal to Cobb's still-dominant bloc of MARTA-averse GOP primary voters.

Quote:
It was these toll lanes or nothing... That's because, with the possible exception of some very, very, very modest increases in the very limited regional express commuter bus service that already operates in that corridor, pretty much nothing else was coming down the pike.

The toll lanes were the only thing that was on the board and that were remotely anywhere near being built and any rail option most likely is still years, if not decades, away from becoming reality if it ever does.

And the only reason why these toll lanes got built is because former Georgia Governor Sonny Perdue put the state in a really bad public-private deal that current Georgia Governor Nathan Deal was able to salvage and turn into the lanes that are now operational on Interstates 75 and 575. Otherwise, had Perdue not unintentionally and unwittingly started the process with a really bad public-private deal, that Northwest Corridor probably would not even had gotten those two reversible toll lanes.

Quote:
LOL, you must be really young (and really optimistic, lol) if you think that you will be close to retirement when a dependable passenger rail option finally comes to that corridor that probably has needed a rail option for close to 30 years.

But I kid, I kid (only somewhat)… Rail will probably be an option for commuters at some point in time. We just probably should not hold our collective breaths that rail will be an option for commuters anytime soon.

Old 11-24-2018, 07:48 AM

3,573 posts, read 5,311,939 times
Quote:

If only.

At this rate I see the state putting a toll lane on I-20 between Atlanta and out to Lithonia and beyond....looooong before that much-promised year 2000 MARTA line for South Dekalb will ever be built.

If ever.

Georgia red-state politics can be a real stinker.

The only saving grace is that Kemp won by an incredibly smaller margin than Deal. So the demographics have finally caught up.

These red-state boobs can't keep doing this mess for too long.

And not lose.

Old 11-26-2018, 08:43 PM

4,757 posts, read 3,369,366 times
Quote:
Only if the main lanes are congested could I see it being beneficial otherwise with all the curves and dodging it does and then worrying about finding yourself smashing through oncoming traffic reverse flow gates you kind of have to go slower and be cautious to a decree where you cant easily make up time in those lanes when. I-75 is moving ... When I was here last month I was on I-75 and while traffic was separated and doesn't have to worry about merging vehicles, they weren't really out pacing general flow traffic. During commute hours it probably does its job... it's just very crude on how it's designed by how its bypassing and dodging just to stay within I-75 ROW.

I like the LED streetlights but another thing now is they left all the streetlights in the median of I-75 off. I was kind of hoping they would replace them (they are fairly old now) atleast to bring them up to modern standard so the whole Interstate looks unified but nope they left Cobb in the dark and lit up only the toll lanes so if you want more light than headlights then you gotta pay to see it.

Oh okay. I guess I don't mind the 75 because whenever I use it, it's not rush hour. Not sure if it would be worth me getting the express. The 85 on the other hand, I would probably want to invest in a pass because the 85 always has traffic (my experience of course).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta