Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2018, 10:14 AM

8 posts, read 9,432 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

Young professional recently relocated to ATL and currently renting a one bedroom condo in the heart of Buckhead-looking to get on the market soon to buy my own place. I also work in Buckhead which makes my commute a lot better however I am also craving a bit more space than one bedroom and know that this makes the area is out of my price range.My biggest pain points about my current living situation have been the congestion along Peachtree and the lack of parking options especially for visitors.

So my search has been leading me towards east atlanta area where I found a few small houses/townhomes (garage is important to me) in my range with close access to the freeway which I liked. I know my commute would get worse but I liked the fact that I would be close enough to Edgewood, Inman Park, Little Five Points as well as Midtown. I don’t have any kids and don’t foresee having to worry about school system for a while. Others have suggested looking at Smyrna/Marietta area but I’d like to stay ITP if possible and not get into the suburbs especially since I’m still single and like to go out.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2018, 02:59 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,057,844 times
Parking is going to be a major issue in all the places you are looking. Unless you are just talking about parking at your actual home.

Old 12-26-2018, 03:28 PM

66 posts, read 35,841 times
What's the question?

The actual East Atlanta neighborhood is probably a good choice for reasonably priced homes with off-street parking. Garages may be harder to come by, but it depends what your budget is. Places like Inman Park and Reynoldstown are probably out of budget for most folks' first houses, but it depends on how big of a baller you are.

No idea what ATLTJL's point about parking was for. I live in Reynoldstown and I wouldn't say it's a "major issue" unless you're going to a bar along Edgewood Ave or EAV or something in which case, you can get there from eastside neighborhoods in an Uber for less than the cost of most private parking lots. So who cares?

Old 12-26-2018, 05:30 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,057,844 times
The OP listed parking as a major pain point of living in Buckhead. It's not going to be markedly better in any of the areas mentioned as possibilities.

Old 12-26-2018, 09:57 PM

16,701 posts, read 29,526,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolo651 View Post
Hi Everyone,

Young professional recently relocated to ATL and currently renting a one bedroom condo in the heart of Buckhead-looking to get on the market soon to buy my own place. I also work in Buckhead which makes my commute a lot better however I am also craving a bit more space than one bedroom and know that this makes the area is out of my price range.My biggest pain points about my current living situation have been the congestion along Peachtree and the lack of parking options especially for visitors.

So my search has been leading me towards east atlanta area where I found a few small houses/townhomes (garage is important to me) in my range with close access to the freeway which I liked. I know my commute would get worse but I liked the fact that I would be close enough to Edgewood, Inman Park, Little Five Points as well as Midtown. I don’t have any kids and don’t foresee having to worry about school system for a while. Others have suggested looking at Smyrna/Marietta area but I’d like to stay ITP if possible and not get into the suburbs especially since I’m still single and like to go out.

Thanks
East Atlanta
https://youtu.be/b91ovTKCZGU

Old 12-27-2018, 12:08 AM

1,456 posts, read 1,321,111 times
If you mean Eastside Atlanta (as in the entire Eastside and not just the neighborhood of East Atlanta), it's definitely a great choice. It's the poster child for gentrification, so most of the neighborhoods have become extremely safe and desirable. The overall Eastside is by far the safest police zone (zone 6) in terms of homicide and violent crime. Traffic is pretty calm most of the time, certainly nothing compared to the constant gridlock of Buckhead.

That said, it is expensive. Inman Park, Candler Park, Lake Claire and Virginia Highland are the most expensive on the Eastside. Then Reynoldstown and Cabbagetown, followed by Kirkwood. Edgewood, East Lake and East Atlanta are probably the cheapest, but even those aren't "cheap". You also have to look more closely street by street in those 3 neighborhoods, as they have some problem areas still.

Old 12-27-2018, 05:15 AM

32,026 posts, read 36,788,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolo651 View Post
... I found a few small houses/townhomes (garage is important to me) ...
One solution is the car canopies you can get at places like Harbor Freight and Home Depot. They are very reasonably priced. Granted, you won't have a shop but at least your vehicle will be covered.

Old 12-27-2018, 06:56 AM

2,167 posts, read 2,830,810 times
What's your budget? I'd look into the Parkview neighborhood of unincorporated Dekalb, sort of tucked between Kirkwood, East Atlanta, and East Lake.

https://www.redfin.com/GA/Atlanta/37.../home/23834445

Old 12-27-2018, 07:26 AM

10,351 posts, read 8,569,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
One solution is the car canopies you can get at places like Harbor Freight and Home Depot. They are very reasonably priced. Granted, you won't have a shop but at least your vehicle will be covered.
Would they actually allow those? They are a bit unattractive.

Old 12-27-2018, 01:32 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times
East Atlanta, Edgewood, Kirkwood, East Lake are all accessible to Buckhead via MARTA rail. Stations have Park and Ride lots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta