Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2019, 11:29 AM

2,084 posts, read 1,381,707 times

Advertisements

I couldn't even imagine coming home to this...

A Cobb County family returning home Wednesday after traveling over the holidays found their locks changed by a new occupant who had hunkered down inside.

Janice Henson told Channel 2 Action News she called police when the key to her Vintage Club Circle home wouldn’t turn and a man in a wheelchair came to the door to tell her to leave. It was his home now, he said..."

FULL STORY: https://www.ajc.com/news/crime--law/...dvOHGFtmVmyhN/

SOURCE: AJC

Old 01-05-2019, 11:52 AM

1,939 posts, read 2,164,518 times

Old 01-05-2019, 12:53 PM

1,709 posts, read 3,427,134 times
Surprised they didn't have to formally evict him.

In the last downturn some attorney moved into a foreclosed home and a fund who purchased the debt took months and months to remove her. She should be disbarred to use the law in such a ill manner.

Last edited by ATL Golfer; 01-05-2019 at 01:52 PM..

Old 01-05-2019, 02:41 PM

4,757 posts, read 3,369,366 times
Lmfao. It's as if this article is from the Onion. I'm telling you...the gift of the holidays and such an ungrateful family. He was able to squat in their place because they must have put their key in some easy to find place. His gift to them was showing them how stupid this was of them to do. A lot of thoughts came up when I saw squatter. I thought that their belongings would have been sold. Apparently this squatter is high class. He left thank you notes AND just shifted their belongings versus sell them?

This article just goes to show that we as a society should be careful not to judge others. You never know when a blessing is about to enter your life.

Old 01-05-2019, 05:34 PM

2,538 posts, read 1,913,014 times
About a year or so ago, squatters moved into a house in my former neighborhood in Cobb that was for sale and under contract. They had some sketchy story that they had "rented" it from someone. There was a torn screen on the porch and the locks had been changed. At first, the owner was told she would have to go through the whole eviction procedure. But then she got a politician involved and the DA and the next thing you know, the police were there telling the squatters to leave. Funny, as much as the squatter went on TV complaining SHE was a victim of a fake rental, she never filed a complaint with the police. Hmmmm..... The owner ended up having to repair damage, but she was fortunate that the buyers stuck it out and went through with buying the house.

Old 01-05-2019, 06:28 PM

32,027 posts, read 36,808,281 times
Talk about aggravation! A man takes his family on vacation and another man moves into his house.

Old 01-05-2019, 06:33 PM

10,396 posts, read 11,511,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOinGA View Post
About a year or so ago, squatters moved into a house in my former neighborhood in Cobb that was for sale and under contract. They had some sketchy story that they had "rented" it from someone. There was a torn screen on the porch and the locks had been changed. At first, the owner was told she would have to go through the whole eviction procedure. But then she got a politician involved and the DA and the next thing you know, the police were there telling the squatters to leave. Funny, as much as the squatter went on TV complaining SHE was a victim of a fake rental, she never filed a complaint with the police. Hmmmm..... The owner ended up having to repair damage, but she was fortunate that the buyers stuck it out and went through with buying the house.
A somewhat similar thing happened to a real estate investor friend of mines who found a guy illegally squatting in a house that he was selling and had contracted out just two hours before the house was scheduled to close in a sales transaction where he was due to make at least about $20,000 in profit.

The squatter had his clothes, illegal drugs, drug paraphernalia, drug residue and strong drug odors scattered about and spread throughout a house that my friend thought was unoccupied and move-in ready for his buyer.

My friend luckily had some contacts in the sheriff's department in the county where this was happening and was able to call one of those contacts and have the squatter removed from the house and arrested on charges of Trespassing, Illegal Breaking & Entering and Illegal Drug Possession.

My friend was also able to scramble to (re)clean the house and get it back ready for sale in the less-than two-hour time frame before the house was scheduled to be sold for about a $20-30k profit.

Old 01-05-2019, 06:41 PM

23,466 posts, read 44,115,130 times
If he was willing to do some heavy cleaning in the kitchen and baths, light dusting in hard-to-get-to areas and pick up the grandkids at 3:15, I'd probably have let him stay.

Good help is hard to find these days.

Old 01-05-2019, 07:00 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,713,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOinGA View Post
This case?

https://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/cob...-out/550775721

I'm assuming in the OP case, he didn't hit the legal number of days so it is different compared to other cases.

Old 01-05-2019, 09:06 PM

2,025 posts, read 1,316,697 times
That reminds me of this one:
https://www.ajc.com/news/crime--law/...9kkzuJOeBnrDI/

Anyone know whatever happened with that case?
On another note, I believe that house sold for 1.05 million this last November.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta