Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2019, 01:00 PM

340 posts, read 322,057 times

Advertisements

(This information was taken from the thread in city vs city)

Fulton, GA $157.352 Billion
Cobb, GA $44.138 Billion
Gwinnett, GA $43.473 Billion
DeKalb, GA $35.110 Billion

Can anyone explain why Fulton is drastically higher than any of the other counties?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2019, 01:04 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,274,754 times
Um, most of Atlanta is in it? As well as Alpharetta, Johns Creek, Sandy Springs, Roswell.

Old 04-22-2019, 01:27 PM

1,326 posts, read 2,395,211 times
I posted this in the other thread but that's what you would expect. Everyone mostly works in Fulton. Cobb is probably 2nd because Cumberland area is the only one of the largest job centers that is not located in Fulton.

Midtown, Downtown, Buckhead, Perimeter Center (Sandy Springs), and Alpharetta job centers are all located in Fulton. That's 5 out of the top 6 employment centers in the region. The airport is also located in Fulton county. I would expect it to be close to half of the GDP of the MSA.

Old 04-22-2019, 02:07 PM
bu2

24,119 posts, read 14,921,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsville_secede View Post
I posted this in the other thread but that's what you would expect. Everyone mostly works in Fulton. Cobb is probably 2nd because Cumberland area is the only one of the largest job centers that is not located in Fulton.

Midtown, Downtown, Buckhead, Perimeter Center (Sandy Springs), and Alpharetta job centers are all located in Fulton. That's 5 out of the top 6 employment centers in the region. The airport is also located in Fulton county. I would expect it to be close to half of the GDP of the MSA.
Perimeter Center is almost all in Dekalb County.

Old 04-22-2019, 02:12 PM

9,829 posts, read 7,277,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Perimeter Center is almost all in Dekalb County.
No, it's mostly Fulton- way more than half.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Pe...!4d-84.3516111

(the county line is just west of Perimeter Center Pkwy)

Old 04-22-2019, 02:49 PM

32,032 posts, read 36,833,008 times
I'd say the airport is a big chunk of it, but Fulton is also home to state government and is larger and more developed overall.

Old 04-22-2019, 03:05 PM

10,397 posts, read 11,527,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I'd say the airport is a big chunk of it, but Fulton is also home to state government and is larger and more developed overall.
That is an excellent point that Fulton County is home to Georgia state government and is larger and more developed overall than the other counties listed.

But most of Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport (probably about three-fourths of it, including the entire terminal complex) actually is located in Clayton County.

Old 04-22-2019, 03:11 PM

1,326 posts, read 2,395,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
That is an excellent point that Fulton County is home to Georgia state government and is larger and more developed overall than the other counties listed.

But most of Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport (probably about three-fourths of it, including the entire terminal complex) actually is located in Clayton County.
For GDP purposes, how would they compute that? I'm certain the airport revenue is likely not added to Clayton county. For one it's owned by the city of Atlanta, and what would they do, check to see if your terminal/runway is in Clayton or Fulton county before they add it to the GDP numbers? I'm guessing all of the airport revenue is just probably added to Fulton for that purpose.

Old 04-22-2019, 10:04 PM

10,397 posts, read 11,527,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsville_secede View Post
For GDP purposes, how would they compute that? I'm certain the airport revenue is likely not added to Clayton county. For one it's owned by the city of Atlanta, and what would they do, check to see if your terminal/runway is in Clayton or Fulton county before they add it to the GDP numbers? I'm guessing all of the airport revenue is just probably added to Fulton for that purpose.
For the purposes of computing a county's GDP (Gross Domestic Product), counties (like Clayton) get credit for all of the economic activity that occurs within their borders, including the economic activity that is generated by facilities within their borders (like Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport) that are owned by municipal governments (like the City of Atlanta).

In regards to Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport, all of the economic activity that occurs in the part of the airport that lies within Clayton County's borders gets credited towards Clayton County's GDP, and all of the economic activity that occurs in the part of the airport that lies within Fulton County's borders gets credited towards Fulton County's GDP.

Since the entire terminal complex is located in Clayton County, all of the economic activity that is generated at the airport's terminal complex gets credited towards Clayton County's GDP.

The airport is actually a massive revenue generator for Clayton County.

Clayton County collects local taxes from the portion of the airport that is located within its borders.

Also, the airport has become a huge magnet in attracting higher-dollar industrial/commercial developments to the parts of the county near the airport (in the Mountain View, Forest Park, College Park, Morrow, Jonesboro, Ellenwood and Conley areas).

Old 04-22-2019, 10:14 PM

11,848 posts, read 8,055,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
For the purposes of computing a county's GDP (Gross Domestic Product), counties (like Clayton) get credit for all of the economic activity that occurs within their borders, including the economic activity that is generated by facilities within their borders (like Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport) that are owned by municipal governments (like the City of Atlanta).

In regards to Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport, all of the economic activity that occurs in the part of the airport that lies within Clayton County's borders gets credited towards Clayton County's GDP, and all of the economic activity that occurs in the part of the airport that lies within Fulton County's borders gets credited towards Fulton County's GDP.

Since the entire terminal complex is located in Clayton County, all of the economic activity that is generated at the airport's terminal complex gets credited towards Clayton County's GDP.

The airport is actually a massive revenue generator for Clayton County.

Clayton County collects local taxes from the portion of the airport that is located within its borders.

Also, the airport has become a huge magnet in attracting higher-dollar industrial/commercial developments to the parts of the county near the airport (in the Mountain View, Forest Park, College Park, Morrow, Jonesboro, Ellenwood and Conley areas).
Thats actually extremely interesting. I never realized the Terminal was apart of Clayton. Although it would seem logical its just something I never looked into. If the state had succeeded in taking control of the airport would it done more damage to Clayton than the City of Atlanta?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta