Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2008, 10:02 PM

36 posts, read 262,546 times

Advertisements

Hello City-Data -

I am wondering what are all of yall's thoughts on the repaving project?

I was driving southbound today and saw a traffic parking lot from downtown to the airport, where I got off, but I'm pretty sure that the parking lot stretched way past the airport and deep into S.Fulton and Clayton counties. I'm pretty positive that the commute downtown today from the southside burbs approached 2+ hrs. Now, at 11PM when I was making my trip back northbound from the airport everything from I-20 to downtown was a parking lot. I'm sure there are a ton of other people who are fed up with the traffic today.

How do you feel about the lead-up to the project? Do you feel that the DOT have done enough to publicize the event and propose alternate routes? Would you consider utilizing public transportation because of this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2008, 11:43 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,874,752 times
Well for one thing, due to the weather, it was stalled for another week, so I don't believe it's even started yet. Much of the through traffic in Atlanta this weekend will be from Spring breakers who are returning home one way or the other after a week of Spring break.

What's the alternative? Let the roads decompose and turn into large potholes? It's actually overdue for repaving but they finally had to get to it before it got too bad. The timing stinks because there are a couple of other major projects going on in that area that just stack up the traffic options, but again, it simply has to be done. It has just been made public that the Georgia DOT promised too many road projects to areas this year - to the tune of 1 billion dollars that they do not have for them. If these local projects don't start now, there's a risk that money might get funneled elsewhere once the State gets involved in that budget mess. A lot of promised projects throughout the state now won't get done at all due to that clerical error.

Since MARTA is so limited in the area the rail covers, and we have no commuter rail to speak of (thank Perdue for that), transit options are simply not available to that many people. You have to leave earlier, or later, and unfortunately deal with it. Of course, learning the back roads and/or using a very updated GPS helps to get around the major stuff if you can.

Old 04-14-2008, 05:00 AM

1,104 posts, read 1,521,082 times
Use the Marta train and find a reliable cab company. Park your car till they finish all the circus work. Will I consider public transit? I will and I have. I conduct most of my business via Lab top and mobile device. It may not be for everyone but, with the RIGHT planning you can move around this city just fine without all the 85-75-285 parking lots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: