Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2019, 12:15 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,875,645 times

Advertisements

https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/...noldstown.html

Quote:
Two new projects are planned in Atlanta that would offer “co-living” units, the latest step to bring more affordable housing to the city.

Co-living, which means residents have private bedrooms but share kitchens and communal space, is becoming more mainstream. The reason: people, especially younger workers, continue to move into high-priced urban areas, where rents are soaring and home ownership is practically out of reach. Co-living takes a cue from student housing projects found in many college towns.

Camand Capital LLC, a joint venture of Atlanta-based Civitas Communities and RAF Capital, is proposing a 176-unit project in Reynoldstown. The roughly $22 million development at 1061 Memorial Drive would combine nine one-bedroom units with 36 co-living units, each with three to six bedrooms spaces per unit.

The co-living spaces would include private rooms; “stocked,” shared kitchens; weekly cleaning services; free laundry; and communal living spaces.

“Co-living is a modern, high-quality approach to living with roommates,” says a fact sheet from Invest Atlanta, the city’s economic development agency. “Over 25 milion American adults live with roommates. Co-living is not changing their behavior; it serves that segment of the population already living with roommates who want a better experience.”

Co-living, the fact sheet continues, is the co-working equivalent of finding housing.

Rents at the Reynoldstown project would start at $660 per month for a 347-square-foot unit. Adding a service package (including water, sewer, electricity, trash and Internet) would bring the all-in monthly cost to $840 per month. The project would also offer amenities such as a basketball court, business center and community room.

Rents at the Chosewood Park project would start at $721 for a 338-square-foot unit. Adding a service package would take that rent to $881 per month.

Also related, "padsplit" is an Atlanta startup that has been trying to simplify the roommate situation:

https://www.padsplit.com/

It will be interesting to see how these "more structured / high quality" roommate entities work out. I know having roommates has made living costs affordable in my life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2019, 12:29 PM

815 posts, read 708,768 times
This is an awesome idea. I would have loved to have had this option to be able to live intown when I was younger.

Old 05-13-2019, 02:40 PM

1,005 posts, read 729,357 times
Nice, finally following suit with the rest of the most the world. If they're as efficient as the Germans have been in my own Mitbewohnerin experiences, it should last!

Old 05-13-2019, 05:45 PM

16,701 posts, read 29,532,605 times
No mention of bathrooms—very important. Is a private bathroom included with the private bedroom?

Old 05-13-2019, 09:36 PM

4,757 posts, read 3,366,551 times
Although I'm glad to see options for those who can't afford, it really is a sign of the times. #brokea**Millennials.

Old 05-16-2019, 12:06 AM

66 posts, read 35,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerD View Post
Although I'm glad to see options for those who can't afford, it really is a sign of the times. #brokea**Millennials.
Having roommates is a "sign of the times"? Yes, the introduction of technology is new, but it's not like people haven't been putting ads in the paper to find random strangers to live with as long as you or I have been alive.

Old 05-16-2019, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citydwelling View Post
Having roommates is a "sign of the times"? Yes, the introduction of technology is new, but it's not like people haven't been putting ads in the paper to find random strangers to live with as long as you or I have been alive.

I don't know about this article but I read nother one that mentioned people who are co-living are sharing a room, not just a house/apartment. That to me is a sign of the times. It's one thing g to do this on holiday (like a hostel)but this isnt the situation. You do this kind of thing generally in college not post college when you are in a career. It's pretty obvious people rent our rooms in their house/apartment and so I assumed you'd know I wasn't talking about this...

Old 05-22-2019, 02:15 PM

66 posts, read 35,841 times
Quote:
Co-living, which means residents have private bedrooms but share kitchens and communal space, is becoming more mainstream.
It's right there in the quote that started the thread. You didn't even have to read the article.

Old 05-22-2019, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citydwelling View Post
It's right there in the quote that started the thread. You didn't even have to read the article.

My point still remains. This is a step backwards (for quality of life). That's literally a dormitory lifestyle. I also had to share a kitchen/bathroom/living area when I was living in a dormitory. This kind of thing is very popular due to Millennials having so much student debt that they can't afford a place of their own.

Old 05-22-2019, 08:31 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,166,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerD View Post
My point still remains. This is a step backwards (for quality of life). That's literally a dormitory lifestyle. I also had to share a kitchen/bathroom/living area when I was living in a dormitory. This kind of thing is very popular due to Millennials having so much student debt that they can't afford a place of their own.
I think you misread a bit there. You have your own private space with a bathroom. You're only sharing kitchen and living area (and usually workspaces as well). If you are at all familiar with coworking, this concept is the same but applied to where you live at night. So it is very much driven by the community aspect and connecting/networking with similar individuals.

I have never used a co-living space but have researched them quite a bit. I think perhaps the greatest detail about them is the flexibility. For a lot of us who would use these spaces, we would be coming in for a period of time far shorter than a normal lease (with padsplit it looks like it is by weekly intervals, but many places are even by the day, with perhaps a certain minimum stay) So often this is for the kind of folks who would be looking at airbnbs, except with the added benefit of having a built-in community often with socials, classes, and other community engagement events. Not sure of padsplit is necessarily about building the community but that's what a lot of coliving spaces do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: