Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2019, 03:03 PM

145 posts, read 93,345 times

Advertisements

I'm of the belief that what makes Atlanta and Georgia completely unlike Virginia is mostly geographic.

Virginia, and in particular Northern Virginia, is contiguous with the Northeastern United States. There is continuous urbanization from Southern Maine (northernmost suburbs of Boston) through Fredericksburg VA (southernmost suburbs of DC) along the 95 corridor. The "Northernization" of Virginia is an organic development of all the growth in the Bos-Wash Megalopolis along transportation corridors.

Atlanta is an island unto itself. It has many transplants here from different parts of the country, but it is surrounded for hundreds of miles in all directions by the "Deep South". It is significantly closer to the Equator than Virginia is.

The Mason-Dixon line at one point was the unofficial demarcation between the North and the South. It is clearly irrelevant now. I suggested earlier that the new Mason-Dixon should be the NC/VA border (for political reasons) although others may see it at the Fredericksburg VA line (for cultural reasons).

Should Atlanta have a Mason-Dixon line around the metro area? No, I don't think so. Why? Because unlike Northern Virginia, the surrounding culture is not Northern at all, but Deep South influenced.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2019, 03:08 PM

145 posts, read 93,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Virginia is in the American South.

Virginia is not in the Deep South.
Yes, but Virginia is slowly losing its Southern characteristics because it is geographically contiguous with the Northeast. The Bos-Wash economy is transforming the land along 95 into a more Northeastern culture, year by year, decade by decade.

Atlanta is also going through rapid changes, however it is surrounded on all sides by hundreds and hundreds of miles of "Deep South" culture. It will therefore likely never lose its Southern characteristics.

Old 05-19-2019, 04:07 PM

16,701 posts, read 29,532,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKanye View Post
Yes, but Virginia is slowly losing its Southern characteristics because it is geographically contiguous with the Northeast. The Bos-Wash economy is transforming the land along 95 into a more Northeastern culture, year by year, decade by decade.

Atlanta is also going through rapid changes, however it is surrounded on all sides by hundreds and hundreds of miles of "Deep South" culture. It will therefore likely never lose its Southern characteristics.

Like, duh.

Old 05-20-2019, 07:28 AM
bu2

24,106 posts, read 14,891,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKanye View Post

Very interesting statistics. Which begs the question: why is Virginia so far ahead of the Deep South?

Often on these forums we read about Georgia trending more purple, similar to what Virginia did over the past couple of decades. Is Virginia the model Georgia should emulate? Why did Virginia place such a strong emphasis on public education back in the 60s thu 80s, when the states to its south (including Georgia) did not?

In many ways geographically Virginia is a northern state - that NC/VA border is kind of the new Mason Dixon line. Even though Virginia's heritage is the "classical" South rather than the "deep South", it seems to have defected to the North, politically in the past couple of decades.

Should we here in Atlanta/Georgia emulate what Virginia has done? Are there enough educated, open-minded white people in Georgia to make this a purple state? Because let's be real: there aren't enough black folks in Georgia to turn this state purple on its own. And Virginia has 150,000 more Asians than Georgia and almost the same amount of Hispanics as a percentage.

Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site
DC suburbs and government jobs. Outside of Alexandria and that area, I would expect Virginia to look like the rest of the south.

The real question is if there are enough close-minded poorly educated people with degrees to turn Georgia purple or will those people stay in the northeast?

Last edited by Yac; 05-21-2019 at 01:49 AM..

Old 05-20-2019, 07:34 AM

605 posts, read 805,096 times
I mean... This is actually the governor of Georgia:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQBENgYJxgs

You need boots to listen to him.

Old 05-20-2019, 07:40 AM
bu2

24,106 posts, read 14,891,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler_Jolie-Pitt View Post
I mean... This is actually the governor of Georgia:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQBENgYJxgs

You need boots to listen to him.
It helps if you have a sense of humor instead of trying to be offended all the time. Its a play on an old joke.

Old 05-20-2019, 04:42 PM

770 posts, read 603,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Virginia is not the Deep South.
While VA as a whole is not deep South, SW VA is. They are more like TN and West Virginia, than they are of Virginia. I went to Virginia Tech, Roanoke is Trump country and so is Lynchburg. Those things aren't changing at all. I've seen Confederate flags in that area of the state for sure. I would say I've seen more here, but that has only recently seemed to pop up a lot again in light of Trump.

Old 05-20-2019, 04:46 PM

770 posts, read 603,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokiehaven View Post
While VA as a whole is not deep South, SW VA is. They are more like TN and West Virginia, than they are of Virginia. I went to Virginia Tech, Roanoke is Trump country and so is Lynchburg. Those things aren't changing at all. I've seen Confederate flags in that area of the state for sure. I would say I've seen more here, but that has only recently seemed to pop up a lot again in light of Trump.
I will say though Athens I agree would be a great location for growth. It should grow more. I have yet to get to Athens, but I'd presume it's likely similar to UVA and Virginia Tech, so those pockets of blue, but it's probably no bigger than both of those combined.

Education is huge and the lack of major schools across the state outside of the ATL metro is probably holding GA back from going blue. If there were more pockets, I'm sure GA Southern is one, but what other schools are there in the state, they don't get nearly as deep as VA does. Fortunately the city of Atlanta is far stronger than the cities across VA though, so like the abortion thing, ATL is just saying screw it, we're not going to enforce it.

It's really too bad a place like Blue Ridge hasn't turned into an Asheville, on a smaller scale of course.

I actually think the military effect isn't usually good, as they tend to vote Republican and if you look at VA in 2016, they voted for Trump in Norfolk and Virginia Beach.

Old 05-20-2019, 05:31 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times
Quote:
TN and WV aren't Deep South states either.

Old 05-20-2019, 09:16 PM

16,701 posts, read 29,532,605 times
Quote:

Tennessee and West Virginia are not in The Deep South either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta