Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2019, 06:44 AM

145 posts, read 93,345 times

Advertisements

Good to see this happen and that black people are fighting back against white racists. Sad that it had to happen in our area.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...tgoOJeM_XT-kYo

Old 07-03-2019, 06:50 AM

8,302 posts, read 5,707,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKanye View Post
Good to see this happen and that black people are fighting back against white racists. Sad that it had to happen in our area.

Awesome! They handled it perfectly.

I would do the same thing.

Old 07-03-2019, 06:53 AM

69 posts, read 78,152 times
Quote:

Just to be clear, everyone needs to fight against racist.

Old 07-03-2019, 06:55 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,248,009 times
It's all about choices and both the contractor and homeowners made one.

What I applaud most is that it was handled well. However, it's racist itself to assume that he was being racist without knowing more or hearing his side. Personally I think he was a dope for flying the Confederate flag as he did, but that doesn't automatically make him a racist.

Old 07-03-2019, 07:03 AM

23,464 posts, read 44,100,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post

What I applaud most is that it was handled well. However, it's racist itself to assume that he was being racist without knowing more or hearing his side. Personally I think he was a dope for flying the Confederate flag as he did, but that doesn't automatically make him a racist.
As do I. As my venerable grandfather used to say, every borne soul has to make the climb up Fool's Hill. Some take longer than others; some never make it at all.

And if he were a committed racist, why would he have taken the job in the first place?

Old 07-03-2019, 07:08 AM

9,008 posts, read 14,060,376 times
Anybody who goes through THAT much trouble to fly a Confederate flag is probably a racist. This isn't a guy who has it around his license plate or on a bumper sticker... he erected an enormous flag on the back of his vehicle!

Anyway, I agree that white homeowners need to also take a stand against this. I don't know what I'd do, luckily I've never had this happen. I'd be mortified to have that vehicle parked in my driveway.

Old 07-03-2019, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post

Frankly, her husband did him a service by telling him why she was turning him away..

Now he knows to take down the flag before he goes on other jobs, and black people would be none the wiser about his views.

Old 07-03-2019, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
As do I. As my venerable grandfather used to say, every borne soul has to make the climb up Fool's Hill. Some take longer than others; some never make it at all.

And if he were a committed racist, why would he have taken the job in the first place?
Why did Strom Thurmond have a black daughter?

Why did Thomas Jefferson have relations with his slaves?

Old 07-03-2019, 07:18 AM

145 posts, read 93,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post

As a 7th generation Atlantan, did your family own slaves at one point? Does that color your view on this issue?

Old 07-03-2019, 07:30 AM

23,464 posts, read 44,100,317 times
Quote:
As a 7th generation Atlantan, did your family own slaves at one point? Does that color your view on this issue?
9th generation, actually. And my comment should not be interpreted as support for the flag-waver, because I don't. But if he were a virulent racist as some would depict him, why wouldn't he just back the truck up and drive away upon seeing his would-be clients? I see this more as an object lesson for him in that little gestures can make a big impact upon others. Hopefully he learned his, and threw the flag on the nearest burn pile. He owes that to the family that schooled him, as they handled him with aplomb. He will probably listen.

As to whether or not my forebears owned slaves six generations ago colors my current trains of thought, that is ludicrous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta