Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2019, 11:21 AM

4,768 posts, read 5,445,497 times

Advertisements

https://www.ajc.com/lifestyles/healt...oL40G0yrkmRPP/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2019, 07:15 PM

4,757 posts, read 3,370,123 times
Quelle surprise.

Old 07-20-2019, 10:47 PM

459 posts, read 475,739 times
Yeah, I am surprised to hear that.

Old 07-20-2019, 10:57 PM

4,768 posts, read 5,445,497 times
That’s why I am so against the messages that so called “Hip Hop or entertainers portray out of Atlanta. Our culture is over-sexualized, and now we are reaping the seeds of irresponsible passions. Passion is natural, and every human needs affection, but it still requires responsible use. People get to Atlanta, and just go buck wild literally.

Old 07-21-2019, 05:17 AM

1,005 posts, read 730,443 times
I understand your frustration, ATLWarrior, though I don't personally see my "culture" in mainstream Hip hop, or any mainstream commodity tied to so-called Black culture. I see this issue as far more than the music: rap's certainly not glorifying homosexual sex and the majority of those with it and contracting it are Black gay males (or DL folk) for lots of reasons: being unaware, poor sex education, adult pedophilia and exploitation of youth. But at the same time, sex isn't fundamentally bad nor is encouraging it but being irresponsible (which includes doing it without being informed or taking advantage of someone) is. I thought that we as an area lowered the contraction rate. . .

Old 07-21-2019, 07:25 AM

9,008 posts, read 14,066,118 times
I got yelled at and called racist years ago in this board when I pointed out black men are way more likely to have HIV than white men, and that's part of the reason for segregation in Atlanta's gay culture. Now, with the advent of PrEP, every HIV transmission is sadly preventable. And if you really want your mind blown, look up how Gilead gets away with charging $1000 a month for it. They don't even own the patent for it. Do you know who does? The CDC. They just aren't enforcing it. It's a sad state if affairs that we have what is more or less a magic HIV vaccine and not everyone knows about it and fewer people have access to it. Crime against humanity. Can you imagine if this had happened with the polio or small pox vaccine?

What's even more infuriating is PrEP is at least somewhat effective at preventing infection even when only taken within 24 hours of exposure. It SHOULD be available at every pharmacy in America without a prescription just like Plan B for pregnancy, but we're a long way from that, if ever. It's maddening.

Old 07-22-2019, 04:35 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,066,118 times
I'm saddened -- but not necessarily surprised -- that this isn't a topic many on this board feel is worth addressing. Oh well.

Old 07-22-2019, 05:36 PM

654 posts, read 527,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
I'm saddened -- but not necessarily surprised -- that this isn't a topic many on this board feel is worth addressing. Oh well.
It's a wierd combination. White's don't want to talk about it because doing so is seen as attacking the black community and therefore racist. Blacks don't want to talk about it because they don't participate in self criticism of their structural problems as they don't want to acknowledge there is a problem.

Therefore no one talks about it. Better to have it live in dark shadows.

Old 07-22-2019, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTCM View Post
It's a wierd combination. White's don't want to talk about it because doing so is seen as attacking the black community and therefore racist. Blacks don't want to talk about it because they don't participate in self criticism of their structural problems as they don't want to acknowledge there is a problem.

Therefore no one talks about it. Better to have it live in dark shadows.

1) It's not that it isn't worth discussing. It's that I feel it's been discussed many times.

2) See number one.

And I'd be very careful about saying "their" structural problems because the structural problem does not belong to them and them alone.

Old 07-22-2019, 05:56 PM

And just to add to this, black people are always under such scrutiny, such study. It gets very tiring. Will black people ever just be allowed to exist without living under a constant microscope?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: