Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2019, 03:27 PM

4,757 posts, read 3,367,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Some of them are boomers and they've been potheads since they were teens. Bear in mind they are also the generation that has battled for decades to make pot legal. So they may be potheads but I can't call them hypocrites.

I don't think they are in pain, they just like getting stoned.

They are the largest voting bloc now and I know they represented a large portion of the voting bloc then. They allowed the war on drugs to continue.

It's good they are not in pain. If they are potheads like you say assuming they smoke all the time, it could mean they need counseling. I'd be on the lookout since you are their friend. Signs of depression include a lot of trouble sleeping or sleeping too much, feeling hopeless, changes in their social life (not hanging out with friends or family as once before), etc. Cannabis may alleviate symptoms, but therapy helps address the underlying issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2019, 06:55 PM

2,390 posts, read 4,405,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
But has it? I mean, has it really?

Look how much everybody is freaking out over vaping right now. Sure, 20 people have died in a few months, but before that, millions of people vaped for at least a decade with zero deaths.

Still, they want to ban the entire thing instead of figuring out what these very few people are vaping to cause the problem (it's probably something illegal). Americans are reactive.
Uh, the vaping deaths came from illegal thc cartridges that people were making on the black market.

Old 10-10-2019, 07:05 PM

Also, the arguments in here show just how ignorant people can be lol. For the record, there hasn't been a single direct marijuana caused death ever recorded. At the same time, people will hype up places like the varsity when heart disease, hypertension etc kill hundreds of thousands of people yearly. Same with cigarettes, alcohol and prescription opiates. And then for the people like arjay with the "sad you need to be high to make it through the day" rhetoric. You do understand that not every strand of marijuana gets you wasted, right? There are many that people use to deal with anxiety and depression that have low thc levels. This is why it's better to educate yourself on a subject than to just talk and make yourself look foolish. And I don't even smoke.

We're talking about something that has been proven to help people with seizures and many other health issues. Many of the thoughts in here is why the south is so slow and behind when it comes to simple things. People let their 1925 judgements and Jesus dictate their thoughts rather than common sense.

Old 10-10-2019, 08:08 PM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownhornet View Post
Also, the arguments in here show just how ignorant people can be lol. For the record, there hasn't been a single direct marijuana caused death ever recorded. At the same time, people will hype up places like the varsity when heart disease, hypertension etc kill hundreds of thousands of people yearly. Same with cigarettes, alcohol and prescription opiates. And then for the people like arjay with the "sad you need to be high to make it through the day" rhetoric. You do understand that not every strand of marijuana gets you wasted, right? There are many that people use to deal with anxiety and depression that have low thc levels. This is why it's better to educate yourself on a subject than to just talk and make yourself look foolish. And I don't even smoke.

We're talking about something that has been proven to help people with seizures and many other health issues. Many of the thoughts in here is why the south is so slow and behind when it comes to simple things. People let their 1925 judgements and Jesus dictate their thoughts rather than common sense.
Hey, I have always said pot should be decriminalized. It's nonsense to send people jail for pot when we have legalized alcohol and tobacco.

And of course I'm all for people with medical problems getting what they need.

I've simply made the observation that it's kind of sad that we have some folks who feel like they need to get stoned to cope with ordinary life. However, if they believe that's what they need, have at it. As long as it doesn't negatively impact the rest of us I could not care less.

Old 10-12-2019, 11:13 AM

4,120 posts, read 6,610,204 times
Quote:
Uh, the vaping deaths came from illegal thc cartridges that people were making on the black market.
Red a post on reddit breaking down the economics of making a THC vape & the profit margins are about $3 a cart if they do it without using cutting agents. If they use a cutting agent which is what is causing the lung issues then it's $8 a cart. When you are making 5k carts a month, that's a huge incentive to use a cutting agent.

Old 10-12-2019, 07:20 PM

Quote:

First bolded: Thank you! If our "justice" system were to criminalize people for unhealthy food choices, lack of exercise, etc., that all lead to obesity, heart disease, etc., then perhaps there would be more sympathy for those who are doing something far less harmful like cannabis.

Second and third bolded: The stigma of drugs is so dangerous. We need to look to the past to see how disinformation has impacted the mindset on drugs today. For so many decades programs like dare and other abstinence-only religious influence programs have wreaked havoc not just in terms of students/adults not getting comprehensive education but the fact that even in educational institutions, this moral policy versus science could be allowed. A major issue we all need to recognize is the spread of misinformation (not just drug-related stuff). The internet has made this very easy and people aren't doing their research.

Again, we need to go by science and not religion. We really should be concerned that in this day and age religion takes up so much space in our lives and that separation of church and state is not being enforced.

The solicitor needs to add language regarding the harmful impact our harsh drug laws in GA has had on people, especially blacks.

Quote:
Hey, I have always said pot should be decriminalized. It's nonsense to send people jail for pot when we have legalized alcohol and tobacco.

I've simply made the observation that it's kind of sad that we have some folks who feel like they need to get stoned to cope with ordinary life. However, if they believe that's what they need, have at it. As long as it doesn't negatively impact the rest of us I could not care less.

Arjay, the same could be said of caffeine, energy drinks, sleeping pills, anti-depressant pills, etc. But with pills, for example, it's not associated with lower class; drugs associated with blacks/hippies are criminalized in the worst way.

I must add that if people are having to take substances to cope with "ordinary" life, we need to question why this is. Access to mental treatment is an issue along with the costs that come with. Our society needs to improve on making preventative care accessible. This won't fix everything but it would be a step in the right direction.

Old 10-12-2019, 07:43 PM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerD View Post
Arjay, the same could be said of caffeine, energy drinks, sleeping pills, anti-depressant pills, etc. But with pills, for example, it's not associated with lower class; drugs associated with blacks/hippies are criminalized in the worst way.
I don't know how many times I have said (and not only in this thread) that I am NOT in favor of criminalizing pot.

That doesn't mean I'm rah-rah about being a stoner.

What's legal and what's advisable are two different things.

Old 10-12-2019, 08:16 PM

Quote:
I don't know how many times I have said (and not only in this thread) that I am NOT in favor of criminalizing pot.

That doesn't mean I'm rah-rah about being a stoner.

What's legal and what's advisable are two different things.

But when you make comments like "be a stoner all day," you contribute to negative stereotypes that feed the continued criminalization of drugs.

Old 10-14-2019, 05:53 PM

Quote:

But your logic is still wrong lol. That's the whole point. People use marijuana for various reasons. Pain, anxiety and pleasure. Is it as sad that people use xanax for anxiety? Is it as sad that people use opiates to deal with depression? Is it sad that people get prescribed 20 different meds for things like seizures when thc oil has been proven to be FAR more effective? Your thought process is too dated dude. This, again, is why the south is always behind the rest of the country when it comes to progression. I'd guaranteed you McDonalds, Burger King and a host of other restaurants around here, chik fil a included are FAR more harmful to people than marijuana. The research is simple to find if you want to find it.

Old 10-14-2019, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerD View Post
But when you make comments like "be a stoner all day," you contribute to negative stereotypes that feed the continued criminalization of drugs.
Exactly. You say on one hand you're not against it but you want to stigmatize anyone that uses it as a stoner that just sits on the sofa and gets high all day. You're contradicting yourself horribly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: