Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2019, 09:39 PM

11,842 posts, read 8,045,546 times

Advertisements

It kinda looks like a skate park built over 400.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2019, 06:44 AM

617 posts, read 553,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
I think it's a really neat project. But I think $250 million for what is shown in the video is very optimistic.
Agreed! I mean the bridge just built over northside cost $41 million right? This seems much more complex than that.

Old 11-01-2019, 07:07 AM

6,503 posts, read 6,127,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC2ATL60 View Post
Agreed! I mean the bridge just built over northside cost $41 million right? This seems much more complex than that.
Well, when you push style over substance, you're also pushing for a much higher cost.

Old 11-01-2019, 01:58 PM

2,412 posts, read 2,789,275 times
If they can do it for 250mil, it’s probably worth it. Pedestrian bridge to the Beltline and MARTA, plus retail, plus small parks in a space in the city that would be usually considered unusable for anything. And, if it is successful, maybe it will push similar projects along elsewhere.

Old 11-01-2019, 03:14 PM

3,664 posts, read 3,944,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Pretty interesting. Not a bad price either. It does seem alittle odd how it snakes over the interchange for GA-141 Conn. Will make it seem kinda boondoggle'ish over that area. It would be alittle weird walking right over a highway given the highway isnt completely capped.

I think I would like it a bit more if it were grade level with GA-141 with some way to seamlessly cross it without interference from cross traffic and GA-400 completely capped underneath it, but would probably be significantly more expensive.
I'm not against this project, but for sure it will be the end of the big box shopping center which is fine.

But this immediate area is such a choke point for cars and their exhaust, and they are adding a lane in each direction from 400 to the Rooms to Go which is needed since so much traffic is forced to use that 1/2 mile stretch of Piedmont Rd by the hottie-filled LA Fitness and the Disco Kroger.

But a new lane in each direction won't make things significantly better....

So a park is being built right at Buckhead's main clusterf*ck of traffic congestion.

It seems that this isn't the place to build an expensive park, however with all that's been built on Stratford (the street name where I grew up in NC) perhaps they will spill out over the cap and utilize the created space.

Until cars are fully electric, this park will have dangerous air to breathe. I don't think the Lenox Square side will be all that popular unless East Paces is reconnected over 400.

In summary, I would much rather see the funds used for the next section of Peachtree's streetscape makeover down to Sheridan Rd at Walgreens be completed, or even more so.

Start improving Piedmont Rd's aesthetics from Peachtree down to Pharr Rd. Piedmont Rd. is one of the most reliable roads if you've got to move quickly, but it's also the ugliest for its entire length before it becomes Piedmont Ave which is attractive.

Much of Buckhead isn't attractive through its business districts and I think that's more urgent than this park. I hope all of those new apartment towers have to pay a lot because they sure will capitalize on the park if its built.

Old 11-01-2019, 03:18 PM

I think they are considering building a new exit just before the mall going North on 400 to relieve Lenox as it's the only interchange currently for Buckhead's center district.

The addition would be just an exit ramp to the mall, not a full interchange.

Old 11-02-2019, 08:41 AM

11,842 posts, read 8,045,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
I'm not against this project, but for sure it will be the end of the big box shopping center which is fine.

But this immediate area is such a choke point for cars and their exhaust, and they are adding a lane in each direction from 400 to the Rooms to Go which is needed since so much traffic is forced to use that 1/2 mile stretch of Piedmont Rd by the hottie-filled LA Fitness and the Disco Kroger.

But a new lane in each direction won't make things significantly better....

So a park is being built right at Buckhead's main clusterf*ck of traffic congestion.

It seems that this isn't the place to build an expensive park, however with all that's been built on Stratford (the street name where I grew up in NC) perhaps they will spill out over the cap and utilize the created space.

Until cars are fully electric, this park will have dangerous air to breathe. I don't think the Lenox Square side will be all that popular unless East Paces is reconnected over 400.

In summary, I would much rather see the funds used for the next section of Peachtree's streetscape makeover down to Sheridan Rd at Walgreens be completed, or even more so.

Start improving Piedmont Rd's aesthetics from Peachtree down to Pharr Rd. Piedmont Rd. is one of the most reliable roads if you've got to move quickly, but it's also the ugliest for its entire length before it becomes Piedmont Ave which is attractive.

Much of Buckhead isn't attractive through its business districts and I think that's more urgent than this park. I hope all of those new apartment towers have to pay a lot because they sure will capitalize on the park if its built.
Just wondering why do you feel Buckhead business districts aren't attractive? I've never really had a problem with how that area looks although I have heard that lately the area has seen more crime.

Anyhow. The more and more I look at that park I'm starting to lean against it... it just doesnt fit in...or atleast not in that configuration. A full cap is needed.

Quote:
I think they are considering building a new exit just before the mall going North on 400 to relieve Lenox as it's the only interchange currently for Buckhead's center district.

The addition would be just an exit ramp to the mall, not a full interchange.
Just before the tunnel heading north?

It may help but I don't think most of that traffic is mall-bound.

Old 11-02-2019, 08:48 AM

5,633 posts, read 5,365,180 times
Quote:
Why doe you think it'll be the end of that shopping center?

Old 11-03-2019, 05:04 AM

That land parcel will increase in value by factor of 10 with a park, so much so that high-rises will more appropriate .

That is fine, it's tough to get in and out of there now.

Buckhead has many 1960s strips of businesses that are treeless, with aging, asphalt parking lots built before trees and landscaping were required to be incorporated in to the.

Piedmont is hideous all the way to I-85 exits...

The Beckhead village is the same, old businesses, rusted pylon signs, ….

Peachtree Rd isn't anything to brag about except for the completed sections of streetscape improvement.

Roswell Rd has rundown clusters of businesses...

Even the miles bad miles of winding tree-filled roads that display wealth extravagances are primitive looking and in need of rehabilitation.

Those Homeowners are paying up to 50K a year in property taxes and a foot-deep pothole will be right in front of their driveway yet no one ever complains are starts an initiative to demand improvements..

At least they tightened up all the new spant-wire traffic signal down at the Southern end of Peachtree.

It looks better now.

Old 11-03-2019, 07:30 AM

32,032 posts, read 36,823,708 times
Quote:
Those Homeowners are paying up to 50K a year in property taxes and a foot-deep pothole will be right in front of their driveway yet no one ever complains are starts an initiative to demand improvements..
Folks complain up a storm but nothing gets done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta