Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2020, 11:19 AM

16,714 posts, read 29,560,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronricks View Post
Nothing like an article written by a transplant who is not from Georgia and grew up outside the actual city moved to the city then moved away to tell us what is 'missing'. The article is ironic because what Atlanta lost were actual Atlantan's meaning people who were born and grew up here. Transplants have ruined the culture of Atlanta not actual Atlantan's.
Um, she actually represents a very typical profile for Atlantans/Metro Atlantans - particularly those in the GenX age-bracket.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2020, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
Well, in the author's defense, even though she may be a transplant, she has lived in Atlanta for 30 years (which is like an eternity in a town (metro) as dynamic and as quickly evolving as Atlanta), including for a good chunk of her adolescent years and for all but 7 years of her adult life after moving to Atlanta at age 13 or 14.
She moved to Atlanta at age 12.

Quote:
Plus, she attended and graduated from the University of Georgia, so it is not like she is a total newcomer who had never been here before and just stepped off of a plane a few days ago who is spouting uninformed opinions. Even though she may have spent 7 years of her adult life in Chicago and Los Angeles, she still has spent much of her entire life in Georgia and still seems to make some valid points in her observations about Atlanta.
Tru dat.

And: https://www.city-data.com/forum/57234754-post11.html

Quote:
I can especially identify with the author's mixed sense of both excitement about the boom that is going on in Intown Atlanta and the author's sense of loss that the many parts of Intown Atlanta that are continuing to boom and grow have also become less affordable (and even completely unaffordable) for less affluent residents.

I also understand how many native-born Atlantans and native-born Georgians may feel that the city and state has lost its true Southern regional cultural identity with so many transplants moving into the city (and metro) and state from other states, regions, countries and continents.

Though, I would encourage the native-born Atlantans and Georgians that may feel a sense of loss from all of the change that has occurred with the population boom to think about the situation in a different way.

I would encourage those native-born Atlantans and Georgians that may be unhappy to view the changes that have occurred not as a sense of loss, but as a sense of tremendous gain that (while overwhelming at times) has brought much more to the city than it has taken away.

There have been many native-born Atlantans and Georgians who have left the area, there have also been many native-born Atlantans and Georgians who have stayed and have benefitted from the prosperity and even enjoyed many of the positive changes that have come to the area with the boom of the area's population and economy.

Even though they may be outnumbered by transplants, those native-born Atlantans and Georgians that have stayed in Atlanta during the continuing population boom have become the heart-and-soul of this larger dynamic modern Atlanta city/metro of international influence and importance.

I would encourage native-born Atlantans and Georgians who may be unhappy with modern-day Atlanta to not view the transplants as bringing "ruin" to Atlanta, but as helping to make Atlanta different from what it was before.

If it is any consolation, virtually every large major city/metro that is located near and in the Sun Belt is dealing with many of the same issues of cultural change that Atlanta is dealing with during this era of unprecedented national and global mobility.

So native-born Atlantans and Georgians who feel uncomfortable and overwhelmed by the dramatic cultural changes that have occurred in a city and metro like Atlanta over the last few decades definitely are not alone.

Other major Sun Belt and near-Sun Belt metros like South Florida, Washington D.C., Charlotte, Raleigh-Durham, Nashville, Dallas, Houston, Austin, Phoenix, Denver, Southern California and Northern California are also either dealing with these significant cultural changes or are continuing to deal with these significant cultural changes affected during this era of increased mobility.

And with a city/metro like Atlanta being a massive multimodal transportation hub (particularly of national and international air travel with the world's busiest airport, and of auto travel with a nexus of 3 major transcontinental superhighways), one probably should not be surprised that the Atlanta city/metro has attracted and become home to so many people who were born outside of Atlanta and outside of Georgia.

Old 02-01-2020, 12:51 PM

32,032 posts, read 36,829,063 times
Quote:
Nothing like an article written by a transplant who is not from Georgia and grew up outside the actual city moved to the city then moved away to tell us what is 'missing'. The article is ironic because what Atlanta lost were actual Atlantan's meaning people who were born and grew up here. Transplants have ruined the culture of Atlanta not actual Atlantan's.
The ATL would be Podunk USA without its transplants.

Old 02-01-2020, 01:25 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,951,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
When I think of what makes me an Atlantan, I feel like it's a sense of being a bridge between the old and the new south, the rural and the urban, the local scene and the larger world. We've got a foot in both camps.
I love this! I am of the same mindset, arjay57.

Old 02-01-2020, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Well, in the author's defense, even though she may be a transplant, she has lived in Atlanta for 30 years (which is like an eternity in a town (metro) as dynamic and as quickly evolving as Atlanta), including for a good chunk of her adolescent years and for all but 7 years of her adult life after moving to Atlanta at age 13 or 14.

Plus, she attended and graduated from the University of Georgia, so it is not like she is a total newcomer who had never been here before and just stepped off of a plane a few days ago who is spouting uninformed opinions. Even though she may have spent 7 years of her adult life in Chicago and Los Angeles, she still has spent much of her entire life in Georgia and still seems to make some valid points in her observations about Atlanta.

I can especially identify with the author's mixed sense of both excitement about the boom that is going on in Intown Atlanta and the author's sense of loss that the many parts of Intown Atlanta that are continuing to boom and grow have also become less affordable (and even completely unaffordable) for less affluent residents.

I also understand how many native-born Atlantans and native-born Georgians may feel that the city and state has lost its true Southern regional cultural identity with so many transplants moving into the city (and metro) and state from other states, regions, countries and continents.

Though, I would encourage the native-born Atlantans and Georgians that may feel a sense of loss from all of the change that has occurred with the population boom to think about the situation in a different way.

I would encourage those native-born Atlantans and Georgians that may be unhappy to view the changes that have occurred not as a sense of loss, but as a sense of tremendous gain that (while overwhelming at times) has brought much more to the city than it has taken away.

There have been many native-born Atlantans and Georgians who have left the area, there have also been many native-born Atlantans and Georgians who have stayed and have benefitted from the prosperity and even enjoyed many of the positive changes that have come to the area with the boom of the area's population and economy.

Even though they may be outnumbered by transplants, those native-born Atlantans and Georgians that have stayed in Atlanta during the continuing population boom have become the heart-and-soul of this larger dynamic modern Atlanta city/metro of international influence and importance.

I would encourage native-born Atlantans and Georgians who may be unhappy with modern-day Atlanta to not view the transplants as bringing "ruin" to Atlanta, but as helping to make Atlanta different from what it was before.

If it is any consolation, virtually every large major city/metro that is located near and in the Sun Belt is dealing with many of the same issues of cultural change that Atlanta is dealing with during this era of unprecedented national and global mobility.

So native-born Atlantans and Georgians who feel uncomfortable and overwhelmed by the dramatic cultural changes that have occurred in a city and metro like Atlanta over the last few decades definitely are not alone.

Other major Sun Belt and near-Sun Belt metros like South Florida, Washington D.C., Charlotte, Raleigh-Durham, Nashville, Dallas, Houston, Austin, Phoenix, Denver, Southern California and Northern California are also either dealing with these significant cultural changes or are continuing to deal with these significant cultural changes affected during this era of increased mobility.

And with a city/metro like Atlanta being a massive multimodal transportation hub (particularly of national and international air travel with the world's busiest airport, and of auto travel with a nexus of 3 major transcontinental superhighways), one probably should not be surprised that the Atlanta city/metro has attracted and become home to so many people who were born outside of Atlanta and outside of Georgia.
You've outdone yourself yet again, B2R! One of the best posts ever on this issue, Bravo!

Old 02-01-2020, 02:08 PM

Quote:
When I think of what makes me an Atlantan, I feel like it's a sense of being a bridge between the old and the new south, the rural and the urban, the local scene and the larger world. We've got a foot in both camps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
I love this! I am of the same mindset, arjay57.
I totally agree as well.

Beautiful, country-ass yet sophisticated Atlanta.

Old 02-01-2020, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
I totally agree as well.

Beautiful, country-ass yet sophisticated Atlanta.
LOL!!! So true.

Old 02-02-2020, 07:45 AM

2,074 posts, read 1,356,360 times
Quote:
The ATL would be Podunk USA without its transplants.
You say this then whine and complain about housing not being affordable. Can’t have it both ways. Again, the irony is strong here.

Old 02-02-2020, 08:58 AM

37,898 posts, read 42,027,746 times
Quote:
You say this then whine and complain about housing not being affordable. Can’t have it both ways. Again, the irony is strong here.
Just because one accepts a tradeoff doesn't mean that they like the downsides or that those downsides can't somehow be mitigated or addressed better.

Old 02-02-2020, 09:42 AM

32,032 posts, read 36,829,063 times
Quote:
I don't recall whining about that.

But in any event, why can't you have both transplants and affordable housing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta