Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2020, 08:15 AM

12 posts, read 19,856 times

Advertisements

We are house hunting in Alpharetta. It’s such a huge suburb(even without traffic it can take 25 min to get from one side to the other!),and I am conflicted about whether we should target Alpharetta east of 400, orwest of 400. Subdivisions west of 400 are typically off Rucker, Mid-Broadwell, andMayfield. Subdivisions east of 400 are typically off Kimbell, Webb Bridge, Old Milton, and Windward. We are looking for a large new-ish construction home, in the 600k’s. Small lot preferred.

My job is basically right at 400 and Windward, so commute from both areas would be similar (and my spouse telecommutes). Based on my research,this is what I gather as the differences:

Alpharetta (west of 400):
  • Closer to the action in downtown Alpharetta,downtown Roswell, and downtown Milton/Crabapple (Avalon is basically right at400 so that is close to both east and west)
  • Typically feeds to Milton High School (though a small part feeds to Alpharetta HS)
  • Based on school demographics, I gather that this area tends to be mostly whites with some Asians
  • The area has a more residential feel, with single lane roads and a lot of double sidewalks (like all of Rucker Rd). Seems to be more pedestrian-friendly, with many subdivisions walkable to downtown Alpharetta or Crabapple.
  • Good park scene, led by Wills Park
Alpharetta (east of 400):
  • Closer to the action in Johns Creek/Duluth/PTC. Easier to get to all of the great ethnic food options in Gwinnett.
  • Typically feeds to Alpharetta High School (though a small part feeds to Chattahoochee HS)
  • Based on school demographics, I gather that this area tends to be fast-growing Asian. It seems like Alpharetta HS will eventually be majority-Asian based on the feeder schools
  • The area has a more commercial feel. Doesn’t have a big pedestrian feel to it.
  • Good park scene, led by Webb Bridge Park

Is there anything else I’m missing? What area would you prefer?
    Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2020, 08:38 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,232,217 times
I live in Milton now, but we rented in Crabapple when we first arrived. So basically Mid-Broadwell/Mayfield.

Kids are zoned for Northwestern Middle and Milton High, which is fine. Note there is a new STEM high school in downtown Alpharetta that will open Fall 2021.

I agree with your assessment that Alpharetta West feels more residential, and I also feel that the construction they're doing (e.g. Crabapple) is more in tune with that feel, and Alpharetta East seems more hodgepodge including strip malls and commercial.

I don't think you would go really wrong with either, but obviously I prefer areas to the west and north.

As far as diversity goes, there are more Asians and Indians moving into both areas, but I think that's more established in the older areas further east.

Note also that if you're closer to Crabapple you're also not that far from the Roswell border, which provides other food options as well.

Old 02-20-2020, 08:59 AM

7 posts, read 8,467 times
I much prefer the west side. Closer to DT Alpharetta and the Avalon, along with the Alpharetta Loop that is under construction. Cambridge High School is another well regarded school on the west side, and as already mentioned, FCS is building a STEM HS in DT Alpharetta that should open in 2021/22. Also I feel like the traffic situation is worse on the east side. Old Milton Parkway is a parking lot during rush hour east of 400. Not that the west side is great in that regard, but definitely better. Bottom line though you can't really go wrong with either.

Old 02-20-2020, 09:46 AM

3,715 posts, read 3,694,077 times
Personally I would choose west of 400....

Old 02-20-2020, 11:11 AM

492 posts, read 534,738 times
I prefer the west side. Looks and feels more modern, more things to do and still feels very safe with good schools.

Diversity is basically Indians and Asians and I see them equally in both the areas.

The east side looks a little dated and also the stretch of Old Milton Parkway/State Bridge Road from North Point Parkway till Hwy 141 gets very backed up during rush hour times. Takes a good 30 minutes after getting off of 400 to get to portions of East Alpharetta during rush hour time sometimes.

I think Avalon and Downtown Alpharetta will pull all of the new retail/restaurants and residential and commercial construction towards West Alpharetta for the foreseeable future as the western part of Alpharetta abutting Milton still has some raw/vacant land.

Old 02-20-2020, 12:29 PM

817 posts, read 2,003,086 times
Becca10, moving to the area as well (the Mrs already rented temporarily in Alpharetta till me and our son move over the summer) we have been visiting the Mrs and been driving around... and around and around.... ok.... mainly Milton as I prefer that area.. but some Alpharetta is mentioned by others. Didn't know about the new STEM school in Alph. that might lean me there... have to see if Milton students can go there ?

This past extended weekend off from school we came over and viewed 34 developments there

Hope my post helps

https://www.city-data.com/forum/atla...area-over.html

Old 02-20-2020, 01:43 PM

7 posts, read 8,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelNYC View Post
have to see if Milton students can go there ?

https://www.city-data.com/forum/atla...area-over.html
Yes, it's open to all Fulton County residents though I imagine it will be competitive to get in.

Old 02-20-2020, 01:49 PM

817 posts, read 2,003,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvassar View Post
Yes, it's open to all Fulton County residents though I imagine it will be competitive to get in.
COOL... Thank You for the info !

Back to looking in Milton

Hope it is competitive......... that's what it is for ....... let the cards fall as they fall... aka... he gets in ... good........ he doesn't make the cut........ fine...... all good

Also moving to Atlanta cause of the school systems.... beats Charlestons hands down

Old 02-21-2020, 01:28 AM

10,392 posts, read 11,481,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca10 View Post
We are house hunting in Alpharetta. It’s such a huge suburb(even without traffic it can take 25 min to get from one side to the other!),and I am conflicted about whether we should target Alpharetta east of 400, orwest of 400. Subdivisions west of 400 are typically off Rucker, Mid-Broadwell, andMayfield. Subdivisions east of 400 are typically off Kimbell, Webb Bridge, Old Milton, and Windward. We are looking for a large new-ish construction home, in the 600k’s. Small lot preferred.

My job is basically right at 400 and Windward, so commute from both areas would be similar (and my spouse telecommutes). Based on my research,this is what I gather as the differences:

Alpharetta (west of 400):
  • Closer to the action in downtown Alpharetta,downtown Roswell, and downtown Milton/Crabapple (Avalon is basically right at400 so that is close to both east and west)
  • Typically feeds to Milton High School (though a small part feeds to Alpharetta HS)
  • Based on school demographics, I gather that this area tends to be mostly whites with some Asians
  • The area has a more residential feel, with single lane roads and a lot of double sidewalks (like all of Rucker Rd). Seems to be more pedestrian-friendly, with many subdivisions walkable to downtown Alpharetta or Crabapple.
  • Good park scene, led by Wills Park
Alpharetta (east of 400):
  • Closer to the action in Johns Creek/Duluth/PTC. Easier to get to all of the great ethnic food options in Gwinnett.
  • Typically feeds to Alpharetta High School (though a small part feeds to Chattahoochee HS)
  • Based on school demographics, I gather that this area tends to be fast-growing Asian. It seems like Alpharetta HS will eventually be majority-Asian based on the feeder schools
  • The area has a more commercial feel. Doesn’t have a big pedestrian feel to it.
  • Good park scene, led by Webb Bridge Park

Is there anything else I’m missing? What area would you prefer?
    Thanks!
Don't forget about the huge Lake Windward golf-tennis-swim community that is located east of GA-400 and north of Webb Bridge Park.

Lake Windward is a huge golf-tennis-swim community of multiple subdivisions that is built around the Golf Club of Georgia golf course and its namesake lake, Lake Windward.

The Lake Windward community also is served by Alpharetta High School and its cluster of schools in the exceedingly highly-ranked and highly-regarded North Fulton County portion of the Fulton County Schools system.

Particularly with your job being located a relatively extremely short drive away from Lake Windward at GA-400 and Windward Parkway, the Lake Windward community most likely should not be overlooked in your search for housing in the Alpharetta area.

There is also a noticeable part of the Alpharetta mailing area that extends into neighboring Forsyth County (which neighbors Fulton County to the north).

Forsyth County has its own excellent (if not outstanding) public school system (in the Forsyth County Schools system), as well as a good and improving system of parks.

You potentially may also be able to stretch your housing budget stretch farther in Forsyth County than in Fulton County... That is because of the lower property tax rates in Forsyth County.

Part of the Alpharetta 30004 and 30005 zip codes extend into the cluster of the Forsyth County Schools system that is anchored by the brand new Denmark High School, which only opened in August of 2018.

Another thing that you probably could (and probably should) consider, is to not just search for housing by location but also by the quality of the social environment of each community and each school that you consider buying in.

Take some time to talk to potential neighbors and neighborhood leaders in each community where you search for housing, and also closely examine the social environment of the schools in areas where you consider buying a home.

Take some time to consider whether each community and school will be a good (if not perfect) fit for you and your family with the huge financial and emotional and time investment that you will be making in buying a home in any particular area.

Old 02-21-2020, 04:26 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,232,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvassar View Post
I have met with the principal (who was previously at Chattahoochie) and gone to information nights. The school was originally slated to open Fall 2020 but they delayed it until Fall 2021 with a 9th and 10th grade intake, adding a new grade each subsequent year.

It will not be a competitive process but will be based upon lottery. Busing will be provided from “home” high school only.

There is also a STEM school opening in South Fulton, but I don’t know the details of when it will open.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta