Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2006, 04:45 PM

465 posts, read 2,428,089 times

Advertisements

Just courious how the transplants to Atlanta are adjusting, there seems to be a plethora of them here, especially from up north. Atlanta, Raleigh-Durham, East Tennessee, Alabama, and Texas seem to be the places of refuge (from what I've seen on this forum) for those looking to able to afford a house and a decent quality of life before their death. Southern California, NY, Southern Florida, D.C., and parts of New England seems to be places of flight. Just wondering how Atlanta has measured up so far...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2006, 05:19 PM

612 posts, read 2,780,366 times
Recently moved here from Florida. The cold spell a few weeks ago had me longing for Florida, but the recent warm up has been beautiful. Still cannot get over the prices of everything, I have yet to find one thing that was cheaper in Florida.

And, I love how you don't have to wait in lines here. Even at the post office the week before Christmas, everyone was sped thru the line. On a regular day in Tampa you would have to pack your lunch for a trip to the post office!

I love it!

Old 12-26-2006, 07:03 AM

2,290 posts, read 5,549,571 times
I'm a northern California native, but moved here from Colorado. I'm quite pleased with the business opportunities here, but have been disappointed with the lack of people-moving. Public transit planning is sorely lacking, and there's not much hope in sight.

I'm quite disappointed with the voluntary segregation but am encouraged that places like Alpharetta, Roswell, East Cobb and north Gwinnett are open to anyone who wants to live there.

I love the weather. Even when summer comes, I'll be OK with it (ex-athlete with achy joints and bones).

Finally, I don't know if there's an over-reporting of crime or if crime is just unusually high in certain areas. But it gives the impression that one can be snuffed out at any place at any time.

Old 12-26-2006, 09:32 AM

84 posts, read 379,770 times
I'm a transplant from Cleveland, OH. Loving the weather - can't say it enough. It was almost 100 for the first week we moved here, I still loved every sweaty minute. You just have to stay in during the day (work) and do your running around in the evening. I learned that quick after a trip to the Tanger Outlet on a 90 plus day. It was draining. Traffic is the main concern. I still haven't ventured to downtown yet or Lennox Mall yet (fear of GA 400) just because of the crazy traffic. It's like you have to get yourself psyched up for the trek. That's the only drawback. I visited with my husband for years before moving been in love with this place for a long time so the relo was pretty easy.

Old 12-27-2006, 02:52 PM

426 posts, read 2,323,408 times
The transplants ARE Atlanta...or so it seems. Most of the people here are from somewhere else. You don't have to worry about facing hostility from the locals...finding them will be quite the task!

Old 01-02-2007, 01:28 PM

663 posts, read 1,865,516 times
Have lived many years in Boston area and the northeast. Moved here recently for temporary stay. Atlanta has the worst of the largest cities (traffic, crime, pollution) yet lacks the unique features and characters found in the large U.S. cities (NYC, SF, LA, DC, Boston etc.) For the most part, it is modern, easy to get around except for peak rush hours (Atlanta is no L.A. or NYC, maybe for rural hicks) low cost of living, growing economy with no winters (Atlanta does NOT have 4 DISTINCT seasons!) But in general it comes across as tacky, lacks soul, density and the whites in the city are shallow. The place has too much boosterism and a "wannabe" feel to it. For a metro area of 5 million, this should be embarrasing.

Old 01-02-2007, 01:45 PM
LLD

654 posts, read 3,073,983 times
Quote:
and the whites in the city are shallow
What do you mean here?

Old 01-02-2007, 04:03 PM

187 posts, read 919,182 times
LLD:

Maybe Darkone doesn't have the b*lls to follow up or elaborate.

Old 01-02-2007, 04:10 PM
LLD

654 posts, read 3,073,983 times
Dunno, I'm just curious as to what he really means here so I'm not making any assuimptions but just asking.

Old 01-02-2007, 04:24 PM

663 posts, read 1,865,516 times
I'll let you know what I mean:

A lot of the whites I see walking around in the city of Atlanta, in sections such as Buckhead, Midtown etc., have a very young yuppie-like, fake character/appearance to them the likes of which I have seen in L.A. I don't see many of the blue collar or more down-to-earth whites in the city like I would in the city of Boston or Philadelphia or any northeastern or midwestern town. The only rough-looking people in the city are the blacks.

Why do I bring this up? It is different from what I am used to seeing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta