Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2022, 07:17 PM

23 posts, read 26,167 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta-Native View Post
It's not public school, they can't "accept" every applicant. Not sure what's B.S. about that - it's how every single private school works. My suggestion is that if you have a problem with it, save your money and send your kid to public school.
I have a problem with how they "accept" some children at these private schools. If children were accepted based on how they performed on JATP testing, interviews and previous school recommendations/transcripts then I wouldn't have any issues with it. Instead, it's more about the parents, recommendations from existing parents, legacy, contributions etc. That's what's B.S. about it. It's not about the child, it's about the parents and how hard they'll try to be part of the club.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2022, 10:37 AM

2,240 posts, read 5,856,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLBraves View Post
I have a problem with how they "accept" some children at these private schools. If children were accepted based on how they performed on JATP testing, interviews and previous school recommendations/transcripts then I wouldn't have any issues with it. Instead, it's more about the parents, recommendations from existing parents, legacy, contributions etc. That's what's B.S. about it. It's not about the child, it's about the parents and how hard they'll try to be part of the club.
Although this sounds like something that could be true, it's really much less true than you think it is. With the recent DEI initiatives, these schools are actively seeking more diversity (I don't just mean racial diversity; I mean geographic, class/SES, and nationalities) and are always trying to attract new families into their communities. Do siblings and legacies receive preference? Yes, but only to a point. These schools need "new blood" in order to survive and thrive and they fully recognize that. I have known PLENTY of families with no connections, new to Atlanta, etc... whose kids got into these schools. They had NO insider knowledge or help. There's no conspiracy to keep out "undesirables" or anything like that; there just isn't.

Old 07-01-2022, 09:46 AM

1,150 posts, read 614,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMMom View Post
Although this sounds like something that could be true, it's really much less true than you think it is. With the recent DEI initiatives, these schools are actively seeking more diversity (I don't just mean racial diversity; I mean geographic, class/SES, and nationalities) and are always trying to attract new families into their communities. Do siblings and legacies receive preference? Yes, but only to a point. These schools need "new blood" in order to survive and thrive and they fully recognize that. I have known PLENTY of families with no connections, new to Atlanta, etc... whose kids got into these schools. They had NO insider knowledge or help. There's no conspiracy to keep out "undesirables" or anything like that; there just isn't.
Correct.

Old 07-01-2022, 04:02 PM

712 posts, read 681,831 times
Quote:
Your characterization of the process is totally off base. Maybe that's the way it was decades ago when some of these schools were founded, but not now. My family went through this process about seven years ago for elementary school, and we're preparing to go through it for high school in a couple of years. We were new to the city and didn't know a soul at any of these schools but got accepted to three out of five.

One thing that may ring true is a bit of self-selection of the types of families/students attracted to certain schools. If you're considering Paideia, you're more likely to be cross-shopping with Galloway or Children's School for their experiential learning and progressive leanings. If you're considering Lovett, then Westminster and Pace have similar traditional classroom pedagogy and social scenes. The admissions process can be a bit of a black box, but the results have created some of the best schools in the state and nation (#1 and #55 respectively for Westminster).

Last edited by cparker73; 07-01-2022 at 04:15 PM..

Old 07-05-2022, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cparker73 View Post
Your characterization of the process is totally off base. Maybe that's the way it was decades ago when some of these schools were founded, but not now. My family went through this process about seven years ago for elementary school, and we're preparing to go through it for high school in a couple of years. We were new to the city and didn't know a soul at any of these schools but got accepted to three out of five.

One thing that may ring true is a bit of self-selection of the types of families/students attracted to certain schools. If you're considering Paideia, you're more likely to be cross-shopping with Galloway or Children's School for their experiential learning and progressive leanings. If you're considering Lovett, then Westminster and Pace have similar traditional classroom pedagogy and social scenes. The admissions process can be a bit of a black box, but the results have created some of the best schools in the state and nation (#1 and #55 respectively for Westminster).
It's a numbers game. You are correct that if there are seats available they are open to new blood. With COVID, all private schools are seeing a huge surge in applications. When you have 5 seats open and 10 applications of which 5 kids are above average (JATP testing, grades, scores, interviews, sports etc.) and 5 kids that are average but have connections with the school (legacy, recommendations from existing parents, contributions).. they will pick a couple above average children and the rest will be connection based. It is what it is, and I agree that private schools can't admit all children based on the child's credentials. It's a private institution so it's a business model where they have to ensure they market their services and appeal to a wide range of people as well as keep their funding. I'm not upset by it, i'm just stating that private schools have less regulations and there's BS that comes with it. I'm not originally from Atlanta and I can say for a fact that the private schools in Atlanta are not offering any sort of exceptional education.

Old 07-05-2022, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMMom View Post
What i'm stating is more common at Westminster than other private schools. Because Westminister has fewer seats than other private schools, the parents have to show some effort beyond just a bright child to get in be it recommendations from existing parents or contributions prior to the child getting in.

Last edited by ATLBraves; 07-05-2022 at 09:06 AM..

Old 07-05-2022, 09:06 AM

Quote:
What i'm stating is more common at Westminster than other private schools. Because Westminister has fewer seats than other private schools, the parent's have to show some effort beyond just a bright child to get in be it recommendations from existing parents or contributions prior to the child getting in.
How does Westminster have fewer seats?

Old 07-05-2022, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta-Native View Post
How does Westminster have fewer seats?
Fewer available seats in their non-expansion years. It's the #1 ranked private school in Atlanta so they get more applications in general.

Old 07-05-2022, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Fewer available seats in their non-expansion years. It's the #1 ranked private school in Atlanta so they get more applications in general.
With it being a larger school than any of the other Buckhead privates, I'd say there probably isn't a huge difference in applicants, in relation to school size of each. Most parents aren't necessarily going to apply their child to all 3 of the Buckhead privates because they all are a different fit.

Old 07-05-2022, 10:04 AM

2,240 posts, read 5,856,309 times
Quote:
It's a numbers game. You are correct that if there are seats available they are open to new blood. With COVID, all private schools are seeing a huge surge in applications. When you have 5 seats open and 10 applications of which 5 kids are above average (JATP testing, grades, scores, interviews, sports etc.) and 5 kids that are average but have connections with the school (legacy, recommendations from existing parents, contributions).. they will pick a couple above average children and the rest will be connection based. It is what it is, and I agree that private schools can't admit all children based on the child's credentials. It's a private institution so it's a business model where they have to ensure they market their services and appeal to a wide range of people as well as keep their funding. I'm not upset by it, i'm just stating that private schools have less regulations and there's BS that comes with it. I'm not originally from Atlanta and I can say for a fact that the private schools in Atlanta are not offering any sort of exceptional education.
So if you were the Admissions Director and it was your complete choice to make the decisions, which five of the 10 kids mentioned above would you accept? Rate the criteria by which you would make your decision. In other words, how do you think they SHOULD be making decisions? Should siblings/legacies receive NO preference? Because if that were the case, there would be a lot more attrition (e.g., people yanking the older sib to go to whatever school the younger sib winds up at after not being accepted). How does that business model make sense?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta