Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2020, 10:56 PM

13 posts, read 11,416 times

Advertisements

Greetings! My husband has recently been offered a job promotion. He will be working in the Lithia Springs area. We have lived in Central Florida for about 16 years. Needless to say this is home. This decision is truly bittersweet for me. I know that it is a phenomenal opportunity for him, but leaving our entire family behind will be difficult. I am hoping that we can at least find a great place to live begin building our new lives.

I came across this website and felt like I had hit the jackpot! What better than to get input from people who actually live in the area!! We are looking to purchase a home anywhere between 250K to 500K. I am more conservative, but he’s ok with pushing the limit more than I am... lol We are both in our mid-40s, debt-free with the exception of one car, and our family income is about 180K a year. We would like to live in a nice area that is safe, just like everyone else. Our children are adults, so it would be him and I only. We are Latin American, diversity is important to us. He would like a home with land for all of his toys, so not a cookie cutter community. I work from home, so close proximity to some type of shopping and coffee shops would be a plus.

I’ve heard a lot about the commuting in Atlanta. A 30-40 commute is doable for him. Any insight you can share would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance

Last edited by newme4lif3; 08-02-2020 at 10:57 PM.. Reason: To update notification setting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2020, 12:56 AM

1,948 posts, read 1,541,479 times
Lithia Springs is west of Atlanta on the hill above Six Flags. And Atlanta is one of those places where you need to live in the direction of where the job is located.
I would suggest looking west of there in the Douglasville area. Or going north toward Dallas, GA. Any closer in, like Powder Spings, and the homes may be older.
I've been gone from Atlanta area and am not that up to date on who lives where. I don't know whether coffee shop type neighborhoods are available on that side of town.

Old 08-03-2020, 06:25 AM

3,715 posts, read 3,754,190 times
I would consider:

City of Marietta
Smyrna
Kennesaw

Old 08-03-2020, 06:32 AM

9,815 posts, read 8,007,393 times
Since you mentioned not cookie cutter and having room on your property for your husband's toys, Mableton might be perfect. You should have no problem finding something within your budget.

Good luck, and welcome from an ex-Orlandoan.

Old 08-03-2020, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman1 View Post
Lithia Springs is west of Atlanta on the hill above Six Flags. And Atlanta is one of those places where you need to live in the direction of where the job is located.
I would suggest looking west of there in the Douglasville area. Or going north toward Dallas, GA. Any closer in, like Powder Spings, and the homes may be older.
I've been gone from Atlanta area and am not that up to date on who lives where. I don't know whether coffee shop type neighborhoods are available on that side of town.

Thank you for sharing this insight. I will surely look at these areas.

Old 08-03-2020, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Since you mentioned not cookie cutter and having room on your property for your husband's toys, Mableton might be perfect. You should have no problem finding something within your budget.

Good luck, and welcome from an ex-Orlandoan.
Thank you for sharing

Old 08-03-2020, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citykid3785 View Post
I would consider:

City of Marietta
Smyrna
Kennesaw
Thank you sharing I’ve also heard about a town near Smyrna called Vinings. However, seems out of my price range. Any input on that area?

Old 08-04-2020, 04:45 AM

1,948 posts, read 1,541,479 times
The west side of Atlanta and Northwest toward Marietta have all kinds of properties.

You really need to consider finding a good real estate agent to guide you in your home search.

Old 08-04-2020, 07:56 AM

3,715 posts, read 3,754,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newme4lif3 View Post
Thank you sharing I’ve also heard about a town near Smyrna called Vinings. However, seems out of my price range. Any input on that area?
Vinings is great, but it's a bit old money. It's quiet, large lots, and close to the city (but feels really wooded). It lacks a lot of retail and much of it's own identity, but it is a nice area.

As you mentioned, it's often mentioned as a great place, but there aren't a lot of houses there and the ones that are are expensive.

Old 08-06-2020, 05:57 AM

128 posts, read 150,147 times
Smyrna is a short drive via surface streets. It is in Cobb county and has low tax rates compared to surrounding counties. Taxes in Vinings are much higher but there are some areas in Vinings that have Cobb taxes. Smyrna is diverse (not as much as FL) but you can find plenty of Latino families, some restaurants, etc.
Look at neighborhoods like Forest Park & Bennett Woods. They have big wooded lots with older (but nice) homes that include privacy, ample parking & plenty of yard space.
The airport & downtown Atlanta are close by and the Cobb Energy Performing Arts Center is right in Smyrna.
They attract big Latino artists e.g, Gilberto Santa Rosa, Victor Manuelle.
Lake Allatoona is about 35 minutes away if your into boating and Kennesaw Mtn is even closer.
The Smyrna & Mableton areas have the Silver Comet trail (61 miles) where you can walk, bike, skate etc.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta