Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2020, 08:17 PM

1 posts, read 750 times

Advertisements

Here's the lowdown:

My sister and my nieces moved down to Gwinnett County over the summer, after all of us (including my parents, grandparents, brother + sister-in-law, aunts and uncle, cousins, etc) living with a couple of hours of each other since my siblings and I became adults. I miss them desperately, but that's not the only reason (but it is a good chunk of it) for moving. Other reasons include feeling stagnate in pretty much every part of my life, the lower cost of living and potentially higher salaries, and the lack of snow there.

I am a single, 30-something, homebody who currently lives in Chicago (actually in the city, not the burbs) with my dog in a cramped studio apartment I'm paying way too much for, who works in a small, tight-knit field (and therefore will not be disclosing the field in case my current or potential employer might see), but I can literally work anywhere with my degree. I've done a basic job search online for Atlanta, and within my field I have opportunities all over - from inside the city of Atlanta itself to reverse commuting and working in the burbs. I will not consider living in the burbs, it's just too quiet for me, which was the draw of Chicago initially for me - I may rarely (if ever) go out and do anything in the city in terms of nightlife, etc, but the availability of it and the ability to spontaneously decide to go see a Broadway show downtown or go to a museum and not have to pre-plan literally everything and travel long distances to do it has been a huge draw of living in Chicago.

I've lived in Chicago for nearly 6 years (moved here from the Indianapolis suburbs) and while I absolutely love it here, after visiting them this past weekend down there, and coming to the realization that Atlanta is a much cheaper place to live (and I could actually make more there with my degree than I currently do here in Chicago), I decided to look more into moving. Plus, among other things, I'm originally from Texas, so it would be beautiful to not have to worry about blizzards anymore and be able to live somewhere with central air again.

I guess my biggest concern is it is a big, expensive move, and not one that can be easily undone like say renting an apartment in one neighborhood for a year to try it out and then being able to move again when the lease is up if I don't like it. I've visited Atlanta a few times, and this isn't going to be a move that happens probably before late spring or summer at the absolute earliest, especially with COVID, so I will have time to visit again before I potentially move down there and explore things, but I guess my point of this post is, knowing that I am not someone who really cares about nightlife or any of that kind of stuff, how disappointed (or happy!) would the move make me? (and yes, I know, you can't actually know how it will make me feel, but I'm hoping for some guidance on the decision from those who live there or who have made this move themselves).

After doing a some research, I think the neighborhood I am most interested in is Midtown/near Piedmont Park, with Peachtree Heights and Buckhead, coming in second and third (yes, I know those are pricier areas) and I would be renting, not buying, (at least for now) if that makes a difference.

If you read my whole spiel, bless your heart. Tl;dr? A move for a single, 30-something, homebody currently living in Chicago to Atlanta - good idea or bad?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2020, 09:21 PM

357 posts, read 330,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maybe_someday View Post
If you read my whole spiel, bless your heart.
Welcome home.

I say do it. You've thought it through, you have good reasons, it doesn't sound like you have significant Chicago ties.

Old 11-12-2020, 10:07 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,789,741 times
I think Atlanta could be a good place for you and you should consider it and definitely visit.

The one word of caution I have for you is about your ambition to only live in the city and the assumption Atlanta is cheaper in all cases by default.

One of the things I like about Chicago is there are more residential units in a city-like area residential area. While the prices certainly soar high in some neighborhoods, there are more urban living options at different price points overall.

In Atlanta many of our outlying urban neighborhoods around the business districts are actually post-WWII suburbs and some modern apartment infill in key locations.

So don't lose sight of the simple fact that you will simply find more urban living options (and price points) in Chicago.

With that said, in Atlanta you will likely find apartments and condos inside some of business districts, like Midtown, to be cheaper than inside Chicago's business districts. You might like the prices of being in one of Atlanta's top 10 trendy neighborhoods better than one of Chicago's top 10 trendy neighborhoods.

Where I think Chicago is better is when you can't afford to be in the top 10 neighborhoods, there are more moderately priced urban options closer by in adjacent neighborhoods that maintain an urban atmosphere with their own neighborhood town center areas and they maintain easy access into the trendy neighborhoods.

I would also argue Atlanta is cheaper and offers more options once you break down and settle into the suburbs. That is where we attract much attention from outsiders moving in. It is mid-career professionals wanting family suburban areas they couldn't afford in the Northern East Coast.

If I were you, I would focus on an apartment search of Atlanta and figure out what neighborhoods you can afford and then compare the neighborhood you'd end up in Atlanta to the neighborhood you'd end up in Chicago. This would be different for different people.

Also, you will discover in Atlanta our jobs are more dispersed in multiple business districts across the region, including the suburbs. Chicago's jobs, comparatively, maintain better concentrations in the center of the city. So be prepared to consider job options in the suburbs too.

Old 11-13-2020, 05:34 AM

3,715 posts, read 3,716,343 times
I would do it. Being single, you actually have less "anchors" than most people who end up doing a cross country move. Plus, you have family where you are moving.

Question for you, how certain are you that your ATL family is happy here and planning on staying put? Obviously it puts quite a bit of pressure on them to need to stay here if you also move nearby.

Old 11-13-2020, 07:18 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,280,641 times
I agree with the other posters - it's not like you're moving to rural Idaho, so there's little risk.

A suggestion - start applying for those jobs in the new year, using a relative's Gwinnett address. Odds are (assuming as you say you can do your job totally remotely) you will interview via Zoom, and can probably onboard and work remotely, at least through mid-year.

It would take a lot of pressure off if you had a new gig in Atlanta, family support in Atlanta, and then just needed to find a place to live. Take a trip down, stay with family, and spend a week apartment hunting.

I've done a lot more crazy moves than what you're proposing (like moving to a different country or across the whole country) and they all worked out.

Old 11-15-2020, 11:31 AM

139 posts, read 314,352 times
I’m from Indy, live here in Atlanta now (14 years). I would say ATL is a nice in-between of lifestyle between Chi and Indy, with better weather. I’d never move back to the Midwest. Come on down, I’m sure you won’t regret it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: