Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2021, 08:58 AM

2,084 posts, read 1,384,032 times

Advertisements

Southern Co. (SO) and tech giant Apple Inc. (AAPL) said Wednesday they have formed a partnership to launch the Propel Center, a new digital learning hub, business incubator, and global innovation headquarters in Atlanta, Georgia for students of historically black colleges and universities or HBCUs..."

https://www.nasdaq.com/articles/sout...ta-quick-facts

SOURCE: Nasdaq/RTT News

Additional Info...
https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...301207667.html

Last edited by LynnHarris1; 01-13-2021 at 10:03 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2021, 10:31 AM

154 posts, read 96,901 times
This is awesome news. This will make Atlanta stronger.

Old 01-14-2021, 05:38 AM

1,005 posts, read 731,470 times
So the westside (a bit of southwest side with a few coworking spaces) is going to physically turn into spaces for tech in Atlanta? I know there are other locations, but the number of big names showing up west of 75 is interesting!

Old 01-14-2021, 11:59 AM

8,487 posts, read 15,015,710 times
What excellent news! I far prefer these sorts of things as opposed to Amazon's "bidding" for a new HQ process.

Old 01-15-2021, 07:23 AM

651 posts, read 477,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
What excellent news! I far prefer these sorts of things as opposed to Amazon's "bidding" for a new HQ process.
Lol, that was flim flam. I hope no other city falls for that again.

Old 01-15-2021, 07:31 AM

16,715 posts, read 29,564,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otakumaster View Post
Lol, that was flim flam. I hope no other city falls for that again.

I will say this though...

One of the good things about that Amazon Mess was that it clearly showed Atlanta's strong attributes. Atlanta was consistently at the top, or near the top, of every comparison list based on the criteria (which was good criteria, even if it was connected to Amazon).

Old 01-16-2021, 07:18 PM

37,901 posts, read 42,033,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
I will say this though...

One of the good things about that Amazon Mess was that it clearly showed Atlanta's strong attributes. Atlanta was consistently at the top, or near the top, of every comparison list based on the criteria (which was good criteria, even if it was connected to Amazon).
Very true. As a matter of fact, I think this proposal as well as Microsoft's are the results of the convergence of three major occurrences/trends over the past five years or so:

1) The Amazon HQ2 Sweepstakes. The highly public (which itself is highly unusual) reverse RFP by cities wanting to snag the secondary headquarters by Amazon practically amounted to a national economic development campaign. This did not go unnoticed by other companies with expansion/relocation plans.

2) Criticism over a stark lack of diversity in SV in recent years. The post-recession economic landscape has been very uneven, even for skilled and educated workers--more so for those who are Black (and Latino). Some that managed to land gigs in the Valley have complained about work environments resulting in attrition or voluntary departures. The H1B visa restrictions enacted by the Trump administration put an even brighter spotlight on the issue and calls to hire more citizens has grown louder.

3) Last year's civil unrest/racial justice protests. The private sector and philanthropists has made commitments to address racial disparities in areas such as education, employment, business ownership and home ownership, and obviously tech companies in particular have been making major commitments to invest in developing a skilled Black workforce.

Atlanta's institutional heft is proving to be especially valuable right now as they facilitate partnerships with private industry to achieve shared goals. It will be exciting to watch it all unfold.

Old 01-16-2021, 07:32 PM

8,302 posts, read 5,722,533 times
FWIW, Apple seems to be doing this in a number of cities besides Atlanta with HBCUs, as well as Detroit:

https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2020/...across-the-us/

https://www.businessinsider.com/appl...-pledge-2021-1

Old 01-16-2021, 08:56 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,953,288 times
Fantastic news! I've seen beautiful renderings for this on a competitor's site, wish I could display them here...

I believe this same line of thinking is at play with Microsoft's plan for Atlanta as well.

Old 01-23-2021, 09:09 AM

2,096 posts, read 1,033,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Fantastic news! I've seen beautiful renderings for this on a competitor's site, wish I could display them here...

I believe this same line of thinking is at play with Microsoft's plan for Atlanta as well.
Can u PM me that link please?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: