Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Relocating from Florida to Atlanta; information on friendliness of people, night life options, best bars, popular restaurants, arts culture, mid town area pros and cons

Old 05-04-2008, 02:45 PM

6 posts, read 16,703 times

Advertisements

I've visited Atlanta before but during my visit I wasn't able to gauge a couple of things and if anyone is willing, I'm hoping I can get some help with figuring a few things out.

A little about me first. I'm in my early twenties, an africian america female who very seriously looking into relocating from Florida to finish my education and overall experience something different than Florida as I have lived here all my life.

So a couple of questions:

How easy is it to make friends? I would love to read insight from anyone about this, especially those of you who relocated to Atlanta. I'll would be moving there knowing next to no one, so establishing lasting friendships is obviously important.

How is the nightlife? Because I can't be all work and no play, right? I'm want something like is a little thriving. I more easily so I'm always looking for adventure and discovering new places. What are the best bars and popular hang out spots for 20-somethings?

How is the culture and is much there much participation for the arts?

I'm interested in staying the mid-town area and have visited it as well, but overall, how is it really?

Right now, that's pretty much it. I still have a lot of self searching to do. Right now it's between DC and Atlanta. Maybe NYC in the future after college.

Thanks in advance to anyone that decides to reply. It's much appericiated. I just want to make the best decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2008, 11:48 PM

2,383 posts, read 6,057,979 times
I've got to tell you that if I had to choose between DC and Atlanta, I would choose DC! I haven't lived in Atlanta in years, but I still go back and visit. Currently I am only about 3 hours away from DC and my husband and I try to go up there when ever we get a chance. It is culturally one of the best places I have ever been! We are taking our kids with us this summer for a couple of nights and they are excited! There is a night life there, but the last time we stayed we had a room in Alexandria and that was great! There was a tiny pub down the street and we went there and had drinks and ate great seafood! I love Atlanta, which is why I try and go visit at least once a year, but if I could afford to live the type of lifestyle I am acustomed to in DC I would take that opportunity in a hearteat! But, I must tell you that you are not comparing two cities that are similar, you are comparing two very different locations and the pros and cons are very different!

Old 05-05-2008, 08:20 AM

3,735 posts, read 8,067,624 times
I love the DC area and Alexandria area. Atlanta has a lot to offer but if I were single and had a great job I'd live in DC. Do keep in mind that DC is really expensive. If you are family bound then GA is the place for you, I probably shouldn't say that but it really depends on what you are into as Atlanta too has a lot to offer single people (but for single woman it's really hard to find a mate). You should go visit both areas, the only thing the two areas have in common is the humidity, they are really two entirely different cities that offer different things.

Old 05-05-2008, 08:25 PM

657 posts, read 1,504,831 times
Hands down DC. I moved to Atlanta recently from DC. After about 4 to 5 months I decided to head back to DC where I am now. Job market in DC is better being that the federal government keeps the DC area rather recession-proof. It is much more expensive here in DC, but you get what you pay for. Plus, it won't be as hot in the summer as Atlanta, nor will the summer last as brutally long as Atlanta's can. You're only 1 hour from B'more, 2 hours from Philly and 3 1/2 to NY -- all of which are reachable by train too.

Old 05-07-2008, 01:57 PM

1,748 posts, read 5,525,462 times
Actually I agree DC is much better for a single person. However the summers in DC are far more brutal than Atlanta. Atlanta is at 1000 feet. DC is basically a swamp at sea level and the humidity is disgusting. I lived there for ten years and the summers here are a joy compared to the big sweat fest summers in DC. But get an airconditioned and go out and meet the people. I met my spouse there!

Old 05-08-2008, 07:14 PM

114 posts, read 475,901 times
I moved to Atlanta from DC about 8 months ago. I lived in DC for 2 years and I absolutely loved it. Yes, the cost of living is much higher, but in my opinion, it's worth it. For a single woman in her twenties, DC is definitely a happening place. I found that it was much easier to make friends there than here in Atlanta. In DC, people take the Metro and walk around; in Atlanta, people hop in their isolated cars and are stuck in traffic for hours. I feel like there were just so many more opportunities to meet people in DC -- volunteering, networking events, happy hours. WE have that here in Atlanta...but some reason, it's not the same.

Old 05-08-2008, 11:49 PM

2,383 posts, read 6,057,979 times
You have 5 people telling you DC! I know that we are not the deciding factor for you but you should really consider the move to DC!
Good luck and you will have to let us know what you decide to do.

DVCGAL

Old 05-09-2008, 04:20 PM

263 posts, read 1,132,566 times
Move to Atlanta, the cost of living in DC is crazy. A one bedroom apartment in DC will cost you over $1400 a month. Crime is very bad in DC. 9 people got killed a few weeks ago. DC has plenty of jobs but the cost of living is so high that most of your money will be going to rent. Very cold in the winter. Cost to ride the train is very high. My cousin told me it cost him over $10 a day to ride the metro into DC to work. He has to pay $3.50 to park and $3.50 to/from work. In Atlanta, most of the parking is FREE and you only have to pay $1.75 each way. DC is a nice place to visit but I will warn you about moving to DC. Traffic in DC is more horrible than Atlanta on 66, the beltway, 395,etc. The Aids rate for blacks in DC is the highest in the nation. One in 20 blacks in DC have aids. DC nightlife is has options but they are boring. Nice looking clubs but the energy in them is boring. Atlanta has way more entertainment from Justins on Monday to Winddown Wednesday to 300 on Sunday, etc. You have multiple options any night of the week. The nightlife is boring in DC in the winter because its cold. Atlanta is the best overall city. You can get a 4 bedroom, 2 story house for under 200k. You can make over 80k in DC and not be able to afford an house because of the cost of living. I would pick Atlanta anyday over DC. In Atlanta people will speak to you, try speaking to someone in DC and they will look at you like you are crazy. DC has better musuems downtown and more jobs but thats it. Once you receive that job most of your money will be going to rent. Atlanta has the largest black middle class in America from Camp Creek Parkway to Cascade to parts of Dekalb County. DC suburbs have nice black neighborhood but not as many as Atlanta. Meeting people in Atlanta is very easy. Just visit a local lounge and you will meet plenty of people. Atlanta is the real black mecca and driving back home to Flordia from Atlanta is easier than driving from DC.

DC positives:
Nice musuems
Plenty of jobs
Being close to other cities

DC negative:
Cost of living (check out the aparment prices online in DC)
Crime (DC area ranks high in car thiefs and murders)
Traffic unless u live and work in downtown
High Blacks Aids rate
people are rude
very cold in the winter
Crab in the barrel thinking in DC if you are black

Atlanta negatives
Traffic can be bad if u live on the northside of town

Atlanta positives
Nice people
Nice climate year around
ALWAYS something to do
Cheap cost of living (4 bedroom house for 170k+)
Great food
beautiful skyline

In closing DC is a nice city, nice to visit but thats about it. You will not be able to pay for a nice house in DC unless u are making over 100k per year along with having a husband that makes the same. Nice musuems in DC but thats about it. Atlanta is an all around great city!

Last edited by chip1980; 05-09-2008 at 04:40 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: