Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 09:02 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,872,549 times

Advertisements

Ok, who is currently riding MARTA daily, including off-rush hour times such as weekends or evenings?

I think many agree that there is a need to expand the system, but I also think that regular riders will also agree that for years, MARTA security is very slack in showing their presence on the trains many times. At one time MARTA claimed to have the second largest police force in Georgia. Not sure if those numbers still hold up, but I have to wonder if maybe it would be better if they outsourced the rail security to a third-party agency?

Not like rent-a-cops from some of these obscure agencies are top notch stuff, but at least they'd be VISIBLE.

Someone on flickr recently posted THIS video of a random crazy on MARTA (unfortuantely I've seen this level of nut a couple of times). Note the language in the video isn't exactly Mayberryish but it does show how long she was on the train ranting and how at the next stop a MARTA officer was NOT there to detain her (as well as no officers on the train itself). It's not an everyday thing you see, but it'd be nice to have security around when it does happen.

Again, MARTA needs to be expanded, but it is stuff like this that helps fuel the fires when people who are opposed to it coming into their areas show examples of why their neighbors should vote "no" on it.

Last edited by atlantagreg30127; 05-08-2008 at 09:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2008, 09:22 PM

355 posts, read 992,469 times
You mean this is Martra! NOT NEW YORK TRANSIT! Wow I think I feel more safe in the New York Transit System.

Old 05-08-2008, 09:49 PM

274 posts, read 860,009 times
Los Angeles tried the same thing and it really does not have that great of an effect. the sheriffs and LA police are only as effective if they are on the "job" aome of them were not. Hold MARTA security/police accountable, and it will all change. You get what you pay for............

Old 05-09-2008, 09:37 AM

135 posts, read 785,829 times
Marta already has its own police force.

MARTA - About MARTA - MARTA Police (http://www.itsmarta.com/police/index.htm - broken link)

Old 05-09-2008, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willrusso View Post
Marta already has its own police force.

MARTA - About MARTA - MARTA Police (http://www.itsmarta.com/police/index.htm - broken link)
I know. I mentioned that in the second paragraph of my original post. And also mentioned that at one time it was supposedly the second largest force in the state of Georgia.

But whenever I ride MARTA I never see uniformed officers on the cars. I rarely see them in the stations except a few here and there downtown, and when I do they're usually in groups of more than 3, socializing. Most of the time I see them in cars driving around the station parking lots. I once emailed them to ask why you never see uniformed officers in the cars. Their reply was that, "they're there - but they're undercover and in civilian clothing". Um, ok. THAT'S gonna keep the potential problem makers in line (though I suspect "undercover" means "not really there).

Anyone who's seen me comment on the topic knows I'm a supporter of public transit. I think long ago we should already have had heavy and light rail further out beyond the Perimeter, as well as commuter and other options. But I also believe in slapping a wrist where it's due, too. MARTA's not the leader when it comes to a well run (and visible) police force on the trains. With such a large force, a nutjob like in that sample video should NEVER make it past one stop before being picked up by security, but this gal made it past several and from the looks of it, was never going to confront an officer. I have also taken long rides with less than screwed-in people, never to see anyone of legal authority around to handle the situation. So, my question in my OP was if people think MARTA would be better off if a third-party company supplied guards on the trains and stations.

Old 05-09-2008, 11:21 AM

989 posts, read 1,742,193 times
I ride Marta everyday and I believe this is an awful incident, but I think it's isolated. Rarely do you ever here news stories of violence or harassment on the actual rail lines or trains, mainly it's the buses and surrounding area. Most of MARTA problems are a matter of perception. I not here to be an apologist for MARTA, but MARTA is safe relative to any mass transit in the country. I have had extensive travel on New York transit and I can tell you the things that go on there makes MARTA seemed ideal. This video should not be ignored and this young lady should be prosecuted, but I can't see how this is a security breach unless it was reported and no one showed up.

Old 05-09-2008, 11:22 AM

3,010 posts, read 6,304,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
I know. I mentioned that in the second paragraph of my original post. And also mentioned that at one time it was supposedly the second largest force in the state of Georgia.

But whenever I ride MARTA I never see uniformed officers on the cars. I rarely see them in the stations except a few here and there downtown, and when I do they're usually in groups of more than 3, socializing. Most of the time I see them in cars driving around the station parking lots. I once emailed them to ask why you never see uniformed officers in the cars. Their reply was that, "they're there - but they're undercover and in civilian clothing". Um, ok. THAT'S gonna keep the potential problem makers in line (though I suspect "undercover" means "not really there).

Anyone who's seen me comment on the topic knows I'm a supporter of public transit. I think long ago we should already have had heavy and light rail further out beyond the Perimeter, as well as commuter and other options. But I also believe in slapping a wrist where it's due, too. MARTA's not the leader when it comes to a well run (and visible) police force on the trains. With such a large force, a nutjob like in that sample video should NEVER make it past one stop before being picked up by security, but this gal made it past several and from the looks of it, was never going to confront an officer. I have also taken long rides with less than screwed-in people, never to see anyone of legal authority around to handle the situation. So, my question in my OP was if people think MARTA would be better off if a third-party company supplied guards on the trains and stations.

I would not say a "third party", but better leadership, training and hiring candidates that are of better quality and caliber. Giving an outside (private) company jurisdiction on a public transit system will more than likely lead to less accountability, lack of respect from the passengers and a host of other problems. With improvements, it's best to keep it in-house, IMPO.

No matter how well planned a mass transit system is, though, if it is unsafe, it is ineffective.

Old 05-09-2008, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onemanarmy View Post
I ride Marta everyday and I believe this is an awful incident, but I think it's isolated.

This video should not be ignored and this young lady should be prosecuted, but I can't see how this is a security breach unless it was reported and no one showed up.
I do think it highlights one thing, though.

When you DO see an officer around, you're much more likely to see them on the North/South line to be visible to the tourists and business workers who use that line much moreso than the East/West line. It was daytime in that video, yet there wasn't a single white person on that train. No tourists of varying nationalities. No suit and tie workers. Chances are it was the East/West line. I couldn't hear the intercom announcements, but would even bet it was the West line going outbound.

You would have to wonder how long she would have lasted on say, the Sandy Springs spur. You would have seen 50 panic-drive white riders calling the police on their cell phones. In this video, the people just laugh at her until near the end when she gets too close to a guy's face and he just stands up and starts yanking out her weaves. LOL. Difference in location also means difference in security (and rider reactions as well). A system isn't fully effective though, unless the ENTIRE system has adequate visible security.

Old 05-09-2008, 01:00 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,288,075 times
The only time I ever see a cop on a Marta train is when they are accompanying the guy who pushes the huge cart full of tokens.

Old 05-09-2008, 02:12 PM

135 posts, read 785,829 times
OMG!!!.. that video is hilarious!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta