Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2021, 05:07 PM

2,437 posts, read 3,853,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calm Down ATL View Post
I’d go for something like this: https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...ource=txtshare
When you first said the Howell Mill/Collier Rd. area, I was thinking of something totally different…
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2021, 05:12 PM

1,212 posts, read 734,886 times
An OSB palace, I presume.

Well, I would build instead with 1 x 4, or 1 x 6, sheathing, sub-flooring, and roofing. There wouldn't be any formaldehyde in the construction.

OSB palaces are everywhere. It's a part of current lumber construction. It's oriented-strand-board. It's heavy, full of glue, not strong, not tolerant of water leaks, but good sound insulation. Plywood holds a nail better, is stronger, is lighter, and more tolerant of water leaks. But standard plywood also has formaldehyde in it.

Last edited by T Block; 11-08-2021 at 05:36 PM..

Old 11-09-2021, 03:12 AM

4,790 posts, read 6,880,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by equinox63 View Post
I suppose so. What neighborhood are you thinking about?
I used to really enjoy a lot of the neighborhoods on the north/east side pre-gentrification. But honestly am turned off by the crowd moving into a lot of these places. If I had to pick, somewhere in Grant Park or West End. But even those are changing these days.

Old 11-09-2021, 04:10 AM

1,005 posts, read 730,779 times
Quote:
What neighborhood is that?
West End area! I have so much underutilized space.

Old 11-09-2021, 06:44 AM

10,396 posts, read 11,518,375 times
Quote:
If you had up to 1 million dollars to purchase (and live in) one home in the City of Atlanta proper, where would you live and why?
With so many great choices to choose from, I will break the City of Atlanta into three sections (South of I-20; North of I-20, non-Buckhead; Greater Buckhead).

I will start with the part of the CoA located SOUTH OF INTERSTATE 20:

> Summerhill - I really like the positive direction that the neighborhood is going in and I really like the upside that the neighborhood seems to have moving forward. The departure of the Braves out of the area and the move of Georgia State University into the area really seems to be beneficial to the long-term health and direction of the neighborhood...

> Grant Park - Great south of I-20 Intown neighborhood with a greatly treasured amenity in Grant Park and Zoo Atlanta with a great location on the Southeast BeltLine that gives the neighborhood even more long-term upside moving forward...

> Glenwood Park - I like what has been done with the area with the development of higher-density mixed-use development along Bill Kennedy Way (a street which is actually part of the Southeast BeltLine for about a half-mile or so) and Glenwood Avenue. I also like the namesake private park (Glenwood Park) with the green space with a pond which serves as a green centerpiece for the recently redeveloped residential area east of Bill Kennedy Way.

And the Kroger grocery store is convenient, though I do not necessarily like the big outer-suburban style parking lot in the middle of the development near the BeltLine.

I also like the continuing academic improvement of Jackson High School and the cluster of APS schools it anchors, along with the relative convenience of the area to and from I-20 with the on-ramp from Bill Kennedy Way to I-20 westbound and the off-ramp from I-20 eastbound to Bill Kennedy Way...

> Adair Park - Historic Southside Intown neighborhood with two neighborhood parks, Adair Park I and Adair Park II. Also centrally located with good access to MARTA heavy rail transit via the nearby West End MARTA Station, and located next to the Southside BeltLine...

> Capitol View Manor - I love the mature red brick homes, I like the new library that just opened there a few years back (Metropolitan Library...the Intown-based/oriented part of one of my metrowide social groups liked to meet there before the pandemic), and I like the heavily wooded mostly-passive Emma Millican Park in an area tucked between the Southside BeltLine on the north and the Atlanta Technical College on the south (and between US-19/41 Metropolitan Parkway on the west and the I-75/85 Downtown Connector on the east)...

> Capitol View - Located west of US-19/41 Metropolitan Pkwy across from Capitol View Manor. I like this area because I like Perkerson Park...

> West End - A great Intown neighborhood still in the early stages of a long-term growth pattern with much upside and potential moving forward, and with some great amenities, including about 3 neighborhood parks (including West End, Howell and Gordon-White parks) and with great access to the rest of the city and metro, including by way of the West End MARTA Station and I-20. Also has a Kroger grocery store and is located on the Southwest Beltline trail, which cuts through the southern part of the neighborhood...

> Westview - Located immediately to the west of West End, I like the historic character of the Intown neighborhood, including the mature bungalows, the mature trees and the overall heavy presence of mature trees. I also like the small neighborhood village area of shops and restaurants that is springing to life near where RDA (Ralph David Abernathy Blvd) meets Ontario Ave, Inman St and Lucile Ave.

The area also is located next to historic Westview Cemetery and the neighborhood’s location on the Southwest BeltLine gives the area much upside going forward. Also accessible to the West End Kroger on Cascade...

> Cascade Road - Basically anywhere along the greater Cascade Road corridor, from its intersection with RDA in the Westview/West End area west to the western Atlanta city limit.

Cascade Road is not thought of as an amenity-rich area when compared to other parts of the metro area, but the greater Cascade Road corridor does have good amenities for a close-in area south of I-20, including numerous restaurants, multiple grocery stores (including 2 Krogers, a Publix and a Walmart Supercenter), a Home Depot, numerous parks and green spaces (including the Cascade Springs Nature Preserve, etc.) and a couple of golf courses...

> The Princeton Lakes development in Southwest Atlanta - Because I would like the convenience of living near the Camp Creek Marketplace and being near the Atlanta Airport, etc...

> Ormewood Park - Mature Southside Intown neighborhood located east along the Southeast BeltLine trail, just east of Grant Park, just south of Glenwood Park and just west of East Atlanta...

> East Atlanta/East Atlanta Village - I love the neighborhood village area of shops, restaurants and bars that has revitalized and grown in recent years along Flat Shoals and Glenwood avenues east of Moreland Avenue. I also like the maturity of the residential neighborhood (mature homes and trees) attached to the village area. And I love the natural beauty of a public green space like Brownwood Park and what it adds to the neighborhood.

Old 11-09-2021, 07:28 AM

816 posts, read 996,289 times
Quote:
For a minute, I thought that it would be tough to find something in Ansley Park for under a million. But then I came across this one that seemed to hit the spot.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2...5932067_zpid/?

But I did run into a few well into the 3 and 4 million range...
That's a gorgeous home. Lots of character. Reminds me of the houses where I grew up in Cambridge, MA.

Old 11-09-2021, 07:52 AM

3,715 posts, read 3,709,041 times
Not trying to be funny, but living in COA wouldn't be my first choice. That said, I still have my favorite liveable neighborhoods.

Forgive me as I don't know how far $1M goes in some of these areas nowadays, but a few potentials for me:

Chastain Park (or really anything inside 285/75/19)
Morningside
Ansley Park

Old 11-09-2021, 10:21 AM

9,818 posts, read 7,947,223 times
Glenwood Park, Inman Park, Ansley Park, Morningside in this order.

Old 11-09-2021, 10:25 AM

2,437 posts, read 3,853,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
I used to really enjoy a lot of the neighborhoods on the north/east side pre-gentrification. But honestly am turned off by the crowd moving into a lot of these places. If I had to pick, somewhere in Grant Park or West End. But even those are changing these days.
Yeah, depending on the type of house you choose, you may not have a whole lot left over in either of those areas -- especially Grant Park.

Old 11-10-2021, 07:03 AM

10,396 posts, read 11,518,375 times
North of I-20 and south of greater Buckhead, my choices for CoA neighborhoods to live in if I had a million dollars would be:

> Mozley Park - I like the big neighborhood city park (Mozley Park) there, along with the neighborhood’s location just immediately west of/along the Westside BeltLine Trail...

> Washington Park - The neighborhood city park (Washington Park) and historic Booker T. Washington High School in a location just immediately east of/along the Westside BeltLine Trail close to major central Atlanta activity hubs (including the Atlanta University Center, Downtown, Midtown and the future Microsoft East Coast headquarters campus at Bellwood Quarry) make this an area with much upside moving forward. Plus, the Ashby MARTA Station is located at the southeast edge of the neighborhood...

> Vine City - Vine City has experienced more than its fair share of public safety issues in the not-too-distant past.

But with the notable public and private investment that continues to pour into the area (including Mercedes-Benz Stadium, Rodney Cook Sr. Peace Park at Historic Vine City, Kennedy Park, a Walmart Supercenter-anchored shopping center that admittedly could have been designed much better, etc.), and the neighborhood’s close proximity to multiple major employment hubs and numerous urban and metropolitan amenities, the area has much upside moving forward. The neighborhood is also served by two MARTA heavy rail transit stations (the Vine City and Ashby MARTA stations)...

> Castleberry Hill - I like the aged urban feel of an area that in recent years has been home to a growing number of shops, restaurants, bars and art galleries, many of them in converted industrial buildings.

Other neighborhoods of interest located north of I-20, but south of Buckhead include:

> Grove Park

> Downtown Atlanta

> SoNo (South of North Avenue)

> Midtown Atlanta

> West Midtown

> Atlantic Station

> Home Park

> Loring Heights

> Ansley Park

> Sherwood Forest

> Piedmont Heights

> Morningside-Lenox Park

> Virginia-Highland

> Poncey-Highland

> Old Fourth Ward

> Inman Park

> Sweet Auburn

> Little Five Points

> Cabbagetown

> Reynoldstown

> Edgewood

> Kirkwood

> East Lake

> Lake Claire

> Candler Park

> Druid Hills (the part of the neighborhood located within the corporate boundaries of the City of Atlanta)

> Lindridge-Martin Manor (Cheshire Bridge Road corridor)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta