Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2021, 09:42 AM

816 posts, read 993,781 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaRising View Post
This is hyperbole, straight and simple. You stated that California was losing population. I simply provided facts to that statement. Adding two million people is by no means "losing population", particularly considering it was the third largest increase of any state. Again, Georgia added only one million.

Yes, there are homeless issues in cities. I went to college in California and due to its warm weather, there has always been a homeless problem. It is where people go when they are homeless. But it is also where industry goes...as is Atlanta. I do not see any major corporations looking to build job centers in the middle of nowhere Georgia. To call California a sh--t hole is nothing more than right wing propaganda. I was just there. The problems are localized and not representative of the state as a whole. As I said, if people were leaving in droves or the state was a failure, it would not cost twice as much to get into a house there due to such high demand. You need to get out of in front of the TV and the fear mongering mindset. That mentality is what is the sh hole.

I was born and raised in Georgia...South Georgia. And the antidemocratic voices calling for winning by any means necessary is NOT the patriotic America some of you hide behind. There is nothing American or patriotic about January 6th. There is nothing Republican about diminishing choice and freedoms of people's personal lives. What is happening here now in Georgia is not a call for massive, unteathered spending or bigger government. It is a call for a balance. And I, for one, am glad it is happening. For too long, right wing religious voices have drowned out sensible, conservative legislation. And that is what I want done differently here and the reason I vote the way I do, as a Georgia native. From talking to many others, that is also why many vote for the Democrats.

And let's be honest, shall we? If the Republican party was so much better, you would not have hospitals closing, food deserts, complete industrial annihilation and horrific access to basic services like high speed internet in their districts...but you do. Republicans have failed left and right to even provide a basic, decent standard of living for the areas they represent as one party governing. And there are rural, Republican areas of this state where people still live in rundown homes with tin and plywood roofs, not much more secure or serviced than the tents under highways. Poverty looks different in the city than it does in the country. It is the balanced governing areas of this state that are thriving. And to be fair, it is the money making machine that is Atlanta that provides the cash needed for much of the rest of the state's needs. Cities have problems to be fixed, undoubtedly. But without them, the other areas of the state would be backwaters. Look at Mississippi. Give credit where it is due.

Do I want a one party system here in Georgia? No. But I am not about to ever vote for a party that wants to see women barefoot and pregnant, with no options but to serve and be dependent on men. I will never support a party that claims to be the party of less government, but only when it comes to selective issues. And until the Republicans have a bigger tent, inclusive of people who are not White and male and right wing, populist Christian, I will not vote for them. If that means Georgia being competitive, where both parties actually do not have a stranglehold over all politics, then so be it.

Georgia is changing, whether you like it or not. And it is not all due to people moving here and bringing their beliefs with them. It is also due to the hard work of Georgia natives, such as myself, who are sick and tired of being a living stereotype, watching the good people of this state being dragged down by archaic, patriarchal ideology by people who have benefitted from keeping others from reaching their potential. I am a 46 year old White Southern man. If I can see this, anyone should be able to. I have never been more proud to be from here and I will continue to vote for the party that is inclusive of all Georgia residents, even if that party does not always govern with the fiscal policies I prefer. As long as this new GOP continues to move further and further to an autocratic right, you can damn well bet the increasing majority of voters will be right alongside me. Maybe it is you who no longer should bring your authoritarian demands to the table in Georgia, begging new residents to vote to keep in place a system you like. Maybe it is you now who has to learn to share the pie. Because to act like these changes are somehow new and only from outsiders is pure BS. The only difference is that now you actually have to be considerate of what other people want. And that want from many, many Georgia residents and natives has always been here. Always.

You are no more Georgia than I am. My family was here before this state was even a British colony. You do not get to dictate solely the direction of this state's politics. No one party should. Learn to compromise. It will serve you well from now on in this state. It is only through balance and compromise that Georgia will thrive.
Well said. Growing up in the Northeast, I have been guilty of lumping Georgians (or Southerners for that matter) into one particular stereotype. Having lived here now for over 5 years, I can confidently say that Georgia is a very politically and ideologically diverse state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2021, 10:16 AM

8,479 posts, read 6,878,349 times
You folks are wildly inaccurate in many respects about California and indulge in stereotypes. I’m guessing some of you have never been to our state. If you go East of the big cities and inland away from the coast there are many places in California as conservative as any of the red states.

Believe or not guns are legal. The suburbs around the biggest cities aren’t inundated with crime. And property taxes on residences for long time owners are reasonable. And don’t tell me you don’t have million dollar homes in the affluent suburbs of Atlanta.

And when I was in the military I was stationed in Albany Georgia. Not exactly a picture post card representation of your state.

Last edited by msgsing; 12-15-2021 at 10:27 AM..

Old 12-15-2021, 10:23 AM

1,374 posts, read 923,022 times
https://www.wsj.com/articles/califor...ic-11639564203

From July - August 2021, California had a net loss of 150,000 people (not many people are moving into California while many are moving out). In 2020, for the first time in recorded history, California had a population decrease. So the trends aren't good. In the past year, I know or through friends heard around 20 families that moved out of Socal (some to the Atlanta area) while I don't know anyone who moved to California. This number would be more or less even before the Pandemic.

Old 12-15-2021, 11:04 AM

254 posts, read 131,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarzanman View Post
https://i.giphy.com/media/DpbECBuWKrNRC1Hcda/giphy.webp

I have to agree that Neil's post was disappointing on a couple of levels, not the least of which was the place of sheer ignorance that an appeal like that one must come from. It would do him a great bit of good to see parts of the state that aren't the Atlanta metro and to reevaluate whether his beliefs are rooted in fact and reality as opposed to superstitions that appeal to his emotions or personal biases.

As an aside, remind me to get my sh$% together before I ever decide to defend a difference of opinion between myself and AtlantaRising
That's very kind of you. Thank you.

I appreciate different viewpoints when rooted in facts. Georgia is a wonderful state and we should celebrate the success that has come from compromise. We do not have to always agree but enough of this nationwide Hell created by demonizing fellow citizens of this country, of our state. I ask all of you, as I have myself lately, is your life better now that we have been divided? Do you feel good going to bed, night after night, worrying about the stability of our democracy? Georgia has room for everyone. THAT is what separates us from the rest of the Deep South. THAT is why we have thrived. We are not some stereotype for other people's exploitation.

Last edited by AtlantaRising; 12-15-2021 at 11:20 AM..

Old 12-15-2021, 11:30 AM

10,345 posts, read 8,557,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
You folks are wildly inaccurate in many respects about California and indulge in stereotypes. I’m guessing some of you have never been to our state. If you go East of the big cities and inland away from the coast there are many places in California as conservative as any of the red states.

Believe or not guns are legal. The suburbs around the biggest cities aren’t inundated with crime. And property taxes on residences for long time owners are reasonable. And don’t tell me you don’t have million dollar homes in the affluent suburbs of Atlanta.

And when I was in the military I was stationed in Albany Georgia. Not exactly a picture post card representation of your state.
I will agree that political stances vary in any state. Most of my California friends are conservative, but I know more people are very liberal. When I moved to Georgia my cul de sac was way more liberal than most Californians I know.

Guns are legal in California as I’ve bought most of mine there. But California is very restrictive on ownership.
Concealed carry is very difficult in most areas. Here in Georgia it was very easy to get.

You key words were property taxes are reasonable.... for long time owners. Newer owners pay a lot. Not because of rate, it’s the cost of the home. We do have million dollar homes here, but to get an equalavant home in Georgia to a million dollar home in my part of calif is about 300k. Property tax rate is similar so the tax in California is about 1100 a month versus 300 a month here.

Picking Albany Georgia to represent the state is like us picking Barstow as a representation of California.

Last edited by aslowdodge; 12-15-2021 at 12:01 PM..

Old 12-15-2021, 11:53 AM

3,941 posts, read 6,721,070 times
Quote:
I would like to correct one thing for the sake of accuracy. California is not losing population. In fact, from 2010 to 2020, California gained over 2 million new residents, more than any other state behind Texas and Florida during the same time period. Incidentally, Georgia added a little over 1 million people.

What is amazing to me is not that people's political views on social issues don't magically change when they move (integrity), but that people continue to be drawn into echo chamber media outlets without fact checking major assertions such as this. If voting Republican here also comes with restrictions on civil rights or women's reproductive rights, then I am voting Democrat all day long. Southern Republicans need to get out of the God business and people's personal lives and stick to fiscal issues if they want my vote. And California is still a great place to live, work and raise a family despite the high cost of living. If there was not heavy demand for property (the single biggest monthly cost of living), it would not cost so much to live there compared to other places.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List..._by_population
Atlanta rising,
Thank you! We were just visiting with family in Atlanta and Athens (who want us to move there!) and my family fell in love with what they saw and felt. Your description of the changing nature of the state is encouraging. It's also nice to hear it from someone who was born and raised there.

Old 12-15-2021, 08:21 PM

2,281 posts, read 3,032,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post

Heh. Couldn't be any worse than some of the nowheresville serial killer farms 3 hours from everywhere out in the valley out there.

Old 12-31-2021, 12:02 AM

13 posts, read 5,867 times
Default U.S. Migration Patterns since 2020

Some interesting data point here, with maps/images at link:

https://twitter.com/birb_k/status/14...035956737?s=20

Net Domestic Migration Jul 2020 to Jul 2021, by the nine U.S. Census “Regions.” The three South Regions plus the Mountain Region are up, all others are down. Adding all nine numbers together equals zero, or a true “Net” migration, per Census design/analysis.

Net migration vs. vaccine mandates. 13 states that have banned/blocked mandates received net increase of nearly three-quarters of a million people. Conversely over 800K people no longer call states home that have vaccine mandates. Base map NYT. Black/blue/red mine.

Net migration by state, including political party designation. Comments from initial post challenged a few party designations, saying “sitting Governor” is an inadequate measure. I agree and made changes to a handful of states based on criteria shown on chart #10.

couple claimed migration trend is typical and not Covid-related. This chart compares migration numbers to pre-Covid year July 2018 to July 2019. It shows that the trend does generally pre-date Covid, but Covid & Covid policies appear to be a massive accelerator.

-----------------

More at link.

Old 01-01-2022, 07:01 AM

271 posts, read 301,408 times
Quote:
This is hyperbole, straight and simple. You stated that California was losing population. I simply provided facts to that statement. Adding two million people is by no means "losing population", particularly considering it was the third largest increase of any state. Again, Georgia added only one million.

Yes, there are homeless issues in cities. I went to college in California and due to its warm weather, there has always been a homeless problem. It is where people go when they are homeless. But it is also where industry goes...as is Atlanta. I do not see any major corporations looking to build job centers in the middle of nowhere Georgia. To call California a sh--t hole is nothing more than right wing propaganda. I was just there. The problems are localized and not representative of the state as a whole. As I said, if people were leaving in droves or the state was a failure, it would not cost twice as much to get into a house there due to such high demand. You need to get out of in front of the TV and the fear mongering mindset. That mentality is what is the sh hole.

I was born and raised in Georgia...South Georgia. And the antidemocratic voices calling for winning by any means necessary is NOT the patriotic America some of you hide behind. There is nothing American or patriotic about January 6th. There is nothing Republican about diminishing choice and freedoms of people's personal lives. What is happening here now in Georgia is not a call for massive, unteathered spending or bigger government. It is a call for a balance. And I, for one, am glad it is happening. For too long, right wing religious voices have drowned out sensible, conservative legislation. And that is what I want done differently here and the reason I vote the way I do, as a Georgia native. From talking to many others, that is also why many vote for the Democrats.

And let's be honest, shall we? If the Republican party was so much better, you would not have hospitals closing, food deserts, complete industrial annihilation and horrific access to basic services like high speed internet in their districts...but you do. Republicans have failed left and right to even provide a basic, decent standard of living for the areas they represent as one party governing. And there are rural, Republican areas of this state where people still live in rundown homes with tin and plywood roofs, not much more secure or serviced than the tents under highways. Poverty looks different in the city than it does in the country. It is the balanced governing areas of this state that are thriving. And to be fair, it is the money making machine that is Atlanta that provides the cash needed for much of the rest of the state's needs. Cities have problems to be fixed, undoubtedly. But without them, the other areas of the state would be backwaters. Look at Mississippi. Give credit where it is due.

Do I want a one party system here in Georgia? No. But I am not about to ever vote for a party that wants to see women barefoot and pregnant, with no options but to serve and be dependent on men. I will never support a party that claims to be the party of less government, but only when it comes to selective issues. And until the Republicans have a bigger tent, inclusive of people who are not White and male and right wing, populist Christian, I will not vote for them. If that means Georgia being competitive, where both parties actually do not have a stranglehold over all politics, then so be it.

Georgia is changing, whether you like it or not. And it is not all due to people moving here and bringing their beliefs with them. It is also due to the hard work of Georgia natives, such as myself, who are sick and tired of being a living stereotype, watching the good people of this state being dragged down by archaic, patriarchal ideology by people who have benefitted from keeping others from reaching their potential. I am a 46 year old White Southern man. If I can see this, anyone should be able to. I have never been more proud to be from here and I will continue to vote for the party that is inclusive of all Georgia residents, even if that party does not always govern with the fiscal policies I prefer. As long as this new GOP continues to move further and further to an autocratic right, you can damn well bet the increasing majority of voters will be right alongside me. Maybe it is you who no longer should bring your authoritarian demands to the table in Georgia, begging new residents to vote to keep in place a system you like. Maybe it is you now who has to learn to share the pie. Because to act like these changes are somehow new and only from outsiders is pure BS. The only difference is that now you actually have to be considerate of what other people want. And that want from many, many Georgia residents and natives has always been here. Always.

You are no more Georgia than I am. My family was here before this state was even a British colony. You do not get to dictate solely the direction of this state's politics. No one party should. Learn to compromise. It will serve you well from now on in this state. It is only through balance and compromise that Georgia will thrive.
This post above was magical. Thank you AtlantaRising for sharing.

Listen, some of you already know this, but we just moved to Johns Creek from Los Angeles in late May of 21’. I would rate our overall experience here as overwhelmingly positive.

California has issues— and I got to see them first hand for almost a decade. However, California is not the incredible dumpster fire that some people think it is. The state itself has by some estimates a $30B budget surplus, and many Californians are extremely blessed to have generational wealth and financial stability. Places like Palos Verdes, Holmby/ Beverly Hills, the Westside and areas of Orange County are filled with beautiful homes and people. Literally the natural scenic beauty of these places force you to consider relocating to California. If I’m being honest— If I was young, single and had a job that paid $150k+, California would be in my top 3 places to live. Even if it’s temporary.

Georgia has been a great experience. The taxes are lower, our home was 60% lower in price than we were expecting to pay in Torrance, and I kept my California salary after relocating. My oldest son attends a Montessori here—( which would have been a financial stretch in CA) and I believe the state income tax in GA is under 6%. In CA we were paying close to 10%. The one thing that bothers me most about Georgia are the mosquitoes. But that’s a personal issue and I just screened in our porch for next year

Regarding political views. Not everyone in CA is a Bernie Sanders supporter. Most people I’ve met in CA though are super inclusive and think of others first— before claiming a political party. They embraced diversity in all ways. You kind of were forced to, because every person you interacted with on a daily basis came from a different background than yourself. I believe that this was a good thing. Having friends with different perspectives and cultures can help you become more tolerant and accepting of others. . I learned this first hand while living in CA, and I think I’m a better person because of this. We’re all so different but so much alike.

As for Jan 6th, that was a sad day in history for our great nation. I 1000% agree with AtlantaRising comments above.

As for the OP’s initial question, Johns Creek is awesome but of course I’m biased. If I was young and single in Georgia I’d live in town near the belt line (PCM) or in buckhead/midtown.

Old 01-01-2022, 09:49 AM

32,019 posts, read 36,763,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aria Aperta View Post
It shows that the trend does generally pre-date Covid, but Covid & Covid policies appear to be a massive accelerator.
Don't know if this reflects the influence of covid policy, but they say AOC has been hanging out in Florida without a mask. I guess everybody needs a break sometimes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta