Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2022, 05:52 PM

16 posts, read 17,018 times

Advertisements

Which do you prefer to raise a family? And why?
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2022, 01:49 PM

17 posts, read 16,093 times
I don't live in Fayetteville but I visit the area frequently. In Fayetteville, you are closer to the city for kids activities (zoo, aquarium, etc.) but far enough away that the pace of life is still reasonable. Traffic isn’t awful (compared to suburbs in Fulton and Dekalb counties) either. There are several nice neighborhoods in the Whitewater HS cluster just south of downtown Fayetteville. Some are swim-tennis and several families with kids live there. There are many neighborhoods just north of downtown too, though the housing stock can be a little older. My only gripes about Fayetteville are that the northern edge has a lot of dated strip malls and that it lacks interstate access. Otherwise, it's a nice town.

Newnan is also nice. I think it has a better downtown than Fayetteville and many beautiful homes. The northern part of the city has shopping and several other amenities. Coweta county also grew at a faster pace than Fayette did from 2010 - 2020 and has attracted a lot of young families. Still, I don't like that Newnan is so far from the city and the schools (while not bad) are not quite as good as Fayette County schools. I think it honestly comes down to preference. Both are good places to raise a family. Both have similar, exurban vibes. You really can't go wrong with either.

TK

Old 07-29-2022, 03:21 PM

761 posts, read 907,514 times
If you're looking for top rated schools, beautiful homes, and low crime rates, then I recommend the Starr's Mill area of Fayetteville. It's an ideal place to raise a family. It's one of the most affluent portions of Fayette County. The schools are some of the best in the county and the state. This area is also connected to the PTC cart path system without having to pay higher Peachtree City taxes.

This area of Fayetteville "has more large 4, 5, or additional bedroom homes and real estate than 99.7% of the neighborhoods in America. When you walk or drive around this area, you'll instantly notice the size of the homes here which definitely makes a strong visual statement."

The only downside is there isn't much diversity. The area is around 90% white and less than 4% black. This is in contrast to the northern portions of Fayetteville bordering Fulton and Clayton counties where the population is majority black. The home prices on the north side of Fayetteville are also more affordable, but the schools do rate lower than the Starr’s Mill section of Fayetteville.

Another plus in the Starr's Mill area is that it's almost completely developed, so you don't have to worry about frequent school rezonings. Growth in Fayette is strictly managed. In the Starr's Mill area of the county, lot sizes must be a minimum of 1-5 acres. Newnan's growth has been exponential lately, and schools are constantly being rezoned and there are issues with traffic and infrastructure.

Last edited by PTC Dad; 07-29-2022 at 04:49 PM..

Old 07-29-2022, 11:36 PM

10,396 posts, read 11,500,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PTC Dad View Post
If you're looking for top rated schools, beautiful homes, and low crime rates, then I recommend the Starr's Mill area of Fayetteville. It's an ideal place to raise a family. It's one of the most affluent portions of Fayette County. The schools are some of the best in the county and the state. This area is also connected to the PTC cart path system without having to pay higher Peachtree City taxes.

This area of Fayetteville "has more large 4, 5, or additional bedroom homes and real estate than 99.7% of the neighborhoods in America. When you walk or drive around this area, you'll instantly notice the size of the homes here which definitely makes a strong visual statement."

The only downside is there isn't much diversity. The area is around 90% white and less than 4% black. This is in contrast to the northern portions of Fayetteville bordering Fulton and Clayton counties where the population is majority black. The home prices on the north side of Fayetteville are also more affordable, but the schools do rate lower than the Starr’s Mill section of Fayetteville.

Another plus in the Starr's Mill area is that it's almost completely developed, so you don't have to worry about frequent school rezonings. Growth in Fayette is strictly managed. In the Starr's Mill area of the county, lot sizes must be a minimum of 1-5 acres. Newnan's growth has been exponential lately, and schools are constantly being rezoned and there are issues with traffic and infrastructure.
The Starr’s Mill area may not have the same level of diversity as some other notable parts of metro Atlanta.

But even though it may not have the same level of diversity as some other notable parts of metro Atlanta, the Starr’s Mill area is experiencing an increased level of diversity as evidenced by the student body at Starr’s Mill High School where racial and ethnic minorities made up 29.6% of the student body.

Racial and ethnic minorities obviously don’t make up a majority or near-majority of the student population at Starr’s Mill HS as is the case at numerous other public high schools throughout the Atlanta metropolitan area, but racial and ethnic minorities are at least noticeably represented in the Starr’s Mill area.

Old 07-30-2022, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
The Starr’s Mill area may not have the same level of diversity as some other notable parts of metro Atlanta.

But even though it may not have the same level of diversity as some other notable parts of metro Atlanta, the Starr’s Mill area is experiencing an increased level of diversity as evidenced by the student body at Starr’s Mill High School where racial and ethnic minorities made up 29.6% of the student body.

Racial and ethnic minorities obviously don’t make up a majority or near-majority of the student population at Starr’s Mill HS as is the case at numerous other public high schools throughout the Atlanta metropolitan area, but racial and ethnic minorities are at least noticeably represented in the Starr’s Mill area.
Good point! Schools are usually more diverse than the community. Many older families have retired in place. If you look at Starr’s Mill, the minority population is virtually unchanged in the past decade, but the number of white students has dropped by 400 kids due to aging baby boomers. Also, Fayette County allows kids to transfer to schools if they have spots. Many of the minority kids at Starr’s Mill & Rising Starr transfer from surrounding schools in Fayette. The 2 main feeder schools, Peeples & Braelinn are both less than 5% black. There is also a growing upper middle class Hispanic & Asian population attracted to the area due to stellar schools. Finally, according to a former administrator, about half of the diversity at Starr’s Mill comes from a couple of apartment complexes about 4 miles away in South Peachtree City.

Old 07-30-2022, 07:39 PM

10,396 posts, read 11,500,133 times
Quote:
Good point! Schools are usually more diverse than the community. Many older families have retired in place. If you look at Starr’s Mill, the minority population is virtually unchanged in the past decade, but the number of white students has dropped by 400 kids due to aging baby boomers. Also, Fayette County allows kids to transfer to schools if they have spots. Many of the minority kids at Starr’s Mill & Rising Starr transfer from surrounding schools in Fayette. The 2 main feeder schools, Peeples & Braelinn are both less than 5% black. There is also a growing upper middle class Hispanic & Asian population attracted to the area due to stellar schools. Finally, according to a former administrator, about half of the diversity at Starr’s Mill comes from a couple of apartment complexes about 4 miles away in South Peachtree City.
Yep. Overall, racial and ethnic minorities made up about 25% of the population of Peachtree City as of 2020.

So while the populations of both the Starr’s Mill area and the PTC area as a whole clearly is predominantly white, the minority population clearly is on the rise in the Starr’s Mill area and in PTC as a whole.

The minority presence may not be overwhelming like it very notably and very often may be in a North metro Atlanta suburban community like Gwinnett County, but the minority presence in an area like Starr’s Mill and PTC clearly is increasingly noticeable.

Old 08-01-2022, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terimakasih12 View Post
I don't live in Fayetteville but I visit the area frequently. In Fayetteville, you are closer to the city for kids activities (zoo, aquarium, etc.) but far enough away that the pace of life is still reasonable. Traffic isn’t awful (compared to suburbs in Fulton and Dekalb counties) either. There are several nice neighborhoods in the Whitewater HS cluster just south of downtown Fayetteville. Some are swim-tennis and several families with kids live there. There are many neighborhoods just north of downtown too, though the housing stock can be a little older. My only gripes about Fayetteville are that the northern edge has a lot of dated strip malls and that it lacks interstate access. Otherwise, it's a nice town.

Newnan is also nice. I think it has a better downtown than Fayetteville and many beautiful homes. The northern part of the city has shopping and several other amenities. Coweta county also grew at a faster pace than Fayette did from 2010 - 2020 and has attracted a lot of young families. Still, I don't like that Newnan is so far from the city and the schools (while not bad) are not quite as good as Fayette County schools. I think it honestly comes down to preference. Both are good places to raise a family. Both have similar, exurban vibes. You really can't go wrong with either.

TK
When I drive around Fayetteville so much of it seems very dated. Newnan feels extra rural to me (we’re coming from North Gwinnett), which is ok, but very different for us. South Fayetteville is very rural as well, still, where there is development, it seems dated.

Old 08-16-2022, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritrod25 View Post
When I drive around Fayetteville so much of it seems very dated. Newnan feels extra rural to me (we’re coming from North Gwinnett), which is ok, but very different for us. South Fayetteville is very rural as well, still, where there is development, it seems dated.
You need to look along Redwine Road & South Peachtree City. Here are some neighborhoods to look at:

The Gates (built 2016-2021) average home price: $900k
Mountbrook (built 2007-2015) Average Price: $950k
High Grove (newest phase finished in 2014) ~$850k
Newhaven (Built 2007-2014) ~$1.2M
Whitewater Creek Country Club (Newest homes currently under construction) ~$900k

Old 08-17-2022, 08:05 AM

Quote:
You need to look along Redwine Road & South Peachtree City. Here are some neighborhoods to look at:

The Gates (built 2016-2021) average home price: $900k
Mountbrook (built 2007-2015) Average Price: $950k
High Grove (newest phase finished in 2014) ~$850k
Newhaven (Built 2007-2014) ~$1.2M
Whitewater Creek Country Club (Newest homes currently under construction) ~$900k
We’re currently under contract on a lot off McBride Rd, close to Inman Elementary. Thoughts on this area?

Old 08-19-2022, 03:29 PM

Any where in Southern Fayette is great! Inman & Whitewater are good schools, but aren’t as highly rated as the McIntosh & Starr’s Mill districts, but they aren’t far off. The area is also tends to be more rural, but you still have good access to Fayetteville, Senoia, & Peachtree City. The area is also more diverse than Peachtree City.

Here’s a great website to research schools.

https://www.schooldigger.com/go/GA/d...30/search.aspx
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta