Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2022, 03:59 PM

5 posts, read 5,936 times

Advertisements

We are house hunting and in search of the largest country club subdivisions within 1-1.5 hours of metro atlanta with 750+ homes (preferably not south of Atlanta). Budget is up to $1M. Does anyone have recommendations or can point the in the direction of some of the largest subdivisions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2022, 07:39 PM

217 posts, read 217,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50sRanch View Post
We are house hunting and in search of the largest country club subdivisions within 1-1.5 hours of metro atlanta with 750+ homes (preferably not south of Atlanta). Budget is up to $1M. Does anyone have recommendations or can point the in the direction of some of the largest subdivisions?
The largest country club subdivision that I'm aware of in the Metro Atlanta area is Hamilton Mill in northeastern Gwinnett County, at about 2,200 homes. Hamilton Mill is so large that the neighborhood's motto is "Hamilton Mill: A Home Town". Hamilton Mill seems to meet your criteria and could be a good starting point in your search:

- Massive country club subdivision (about 2,200 homes)
- About 45 minutes from Atlanta without traffic (rare) and up to 1.5 hours with traffic (common)
- Not south of Atlanta (it's northeast of Atlanta)
- In the last 3 months, Hamilton Mill homes sold for prices between $500k and $1m (all within budget)

and you didn't mention any of the following, but I'll mention them anyway...

- The public schools are pretty highly-rated and should remain that way for the foreseeable future (Puckett's Mill ES, Osborne MS, Mill Creek HS).
- The neighborhood is 10 minutes away from the Mall of Georgia area, which has almost every big-box store and chain restaurant one could think of. Walmart, Kroger, Publix, Home Depot, Aldi, and more are just outside of the neighborhood.
- One of the biggest and best nature parks in Metro Atlanta (Little Mulberry Park) is adjacent to the neighborhood. Another park (Duncan Creek Park) and a library are also adjacent to the neighborhood.
- The neighborhood is very close to I-85, which allows for quicker commuting towards Atlanta.

Aside from Hamilton Mill... there are dozens of large (near or in excess of 750 homes) country club subdivisions scattered throughout the Metro Atlanta suburbs and exurbs; a solid portion of these will have homes available in your budget range. If you're able to refine your search a bit to a more specific part of Metro Atlanta, that could be helpful for narrowing down candidate neighborhoods. For example, you could answer some of the questions below:

Commute: Where's your job located? How often will you have to go to your workplace? Will you be working from home 100% of the time?
Schools: Do you have school-age children, and if so, what are your expectations for schools? Homeschool? Private? Public? If public, what are you looking for in the schools? Must they be 10 out of 10 on GreatSchools, no exceptions? Is diversity a priority? Must they be IB schools? Should the high school offer German language courses? Have a water polo team? Offer shop class? etc., etc...
Amenities: What do you and your family want and need? Do you prefer to shop for groceries at Whole Foods? Do you happen to love Korean BBQ? Can't live without Bass Pro Shops? Pickleball? Hiking? Dog parks? Little free libraries? etc., etc.

Old 11-23-2022, 11:26 PM

10,392 posts, read 11,485,251 times
In addition to Hamilton Mill in Dacula in North Gwinnett County, as DoubleZ OTP suggested, other large country club communities located north of Atlanta that immediately come to mind are:

> BridgeMill in Canton in Cherokee County in outer-suburban Northwest metro Atlanta...

> The Towne Lake area of Woodstock in Cherokee County in outer-suburban Northwest metro Atlanta...

> Lake Windward in Alpharetta in North Fulton County in outer-suburban North metro Atlanta...

> Indian Hills, a mature country club community in East Cobb in suburban Northwest metro Atlanta...

> The Bentwater/Governors Towne Club area in Acworth in North Paulding County in outer-suburban Northwest metro Atlanta...

> Windermere in Cumming in South Forsyth County in outer-suburban North/Northeast metro Atlanta...

> The Polo Fields community in Cumming in South Forsyth County in outer-suburban North metro Atlanta...

> Olde Atlanta Golf Club in Suwanee in South Forsyth County...

> Saint Marlo Country Club in Duluth in South Forsyth County...

> Edinburgh/Bear’s Best community in Suwanee in North Gwinnett County in Northeast metro Atlanta...

> TPC Sugarloaf in Duluth in North Gwinnett County...

> Chateau Elan in Braselton in exurban North metro Atlanta.

Old 11-24-2022, 03:08 AM

Thanks both for the very helpful responses.

I work from home so commute not an issue, have kids in elementary school but don't need 10s (7 and above is fine), and not picky on amenities as long as there is an active club in the neighborhood.

We stumbled upon the traditions of braselton which we really like. That is what got us in search of other similar communities to better understand our options.

Old 11-24-2022, 08:07 AM

217 posts, read 217,100 times
Quote:

I work from home so commute not an issue, have kids in elementary school but don't need 10s (7 and above is fine), and not picky on amenities as long as there is an active club in the neighborhood.

We stumbled upon the traditions of braselton which we really like. That is what got us in search of other similar communities to better understand our options.
I had forgotten about BridgeMill in Cherokee County; BridgeMill's got to be the largest golf/country club neighborhood in Metro Atlanta at about 2,800 homes. I'm pretty sure Windward and Hamilton Mill are essentially tied for second-largest. BridgeMill and Windward are certainly worth looking into and, like Hamilton Mill, seem to meet your criteria.

Definitely look into the neighborhoods Born 2 Roll mentioned, though I believe at least a few (Saint Marlo, Sugarloaf, probably Chateau Elan) will be out of budget.

I will say that Traditions of Braselton appears to be one of the only, if not the only, golf/country club neighborhood in the Atlanta area with new-construction homes available for less than $1m. Nearly all other large golf/country club neighborhoods are at least a decade old or have new homes that are over-budget, so if you specifically want a new-construction house, you're basically limited to Traditions of Braselton. I'm not sure if new-construction is a priority for you, but I figured it might be given that your initial search led you to Traditions of Braselton.

Old 11-24-2022, 11:58 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,187,870 times
Brookstone in Acworth

Old 11-24-2022, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
Brookstone in Acworth
This.

Brookstone in Acworth in Northwest Cobb County is another large country club community that the OP very likely should consider.

Old 11-24-2022, 09:21 PM

Quote:

Some other larger country club communities that you could checkout are:

> The Crooked Creek community/Iron Horse Golf Club in Milton in North Fulton County...

> The Manor Golf and Country Club in Milton in North Fulton County...

> Bradshaw Farm in Woodstock in Southeast Cherokee County...

> Brookfield Country Club in Roswell in North Fulton County...

> Reunion Country Club in Hoschton in South Hall County...

> The Royal Lakes Golf and Country Club community in Flowery Branch in South Hall County...

> Hampton Golf Village in Cumming in North Forsyth County...

> Big Canoe, an outer-exurban community which straddles the boundary between Pickens and Dawson counties in the high foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains of North Georgia...

> Chestatee Golf Club in Dawsonville in Dawson County...

> The Achasta Golf Community in Dahlonega in exurban Lumpkin County in the high foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains...

> Laurel Springs community in Suwanee in South Forsyth County.

Old 11-25-2022, 08:35 AM

I appreciate all the feedback. There are a lot more large country club neighborhoods than I was aware of, and lots for me to research/visit. We were originally drawn to traditions of braselton because of the ability to buy a new build within an established country club community. But we also aren't opposed to buying an older home as long as the neighborhood is nice. For us, the neighborhood itself and amenities is almost as important as the house.

Old 11-25-2022, 10:32 AM

1,374 posts, read 923,773 times
There is also River Club in Suwanee, I believe they are selling the final 7-8 lots now (homes there used to be as low as 1.5 million but the lowest now is 2 to 2.5).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta