Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2022, 07:02 PM

10,396 posts, read 11,496,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
It does feel as though fall was over quickly. No Indian summer temperatures, it went from hot to frosty this year. But, I have been out on Halloween night wearing a down coat in the past, and at times wearing no coat at all. I'm hoping for a warm up in the coming weeks.
As of right now, the next several days are forecast to be quite nice, with many warm dry days with high temps in the 70’s.

Atlanta, GA 10-Day Weather Forecast - The Weather Channel
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2022, 07:29 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,951,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
As of right now, the next several days are forecast to be quite nice, with many warm dry days with high temps in the 70’s.

Atlanta, GA 10-Day Weather Forecast - The Weather Channel
Thank goodness! These last several mornings have been too cold for me.

Old 10-21-2022, 05:46 AM

3,715 posts, read 3,700,465 times
We are behind on rain, and this cold snap is a bit premature. Wednesday was more akin to January for instance.

I moved here in 2018 and I vividly remember we had a week of 90s in the second week of October

Old 10-21-2022, 06:30 AM

253 posts, read 190,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post

I know with climate change and all weather is changing at a larger exponential rate than previously in history ......
Just stop.

Old 10-21-2022, 10:04 AM

6,311 posts, read 6,814,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 912904 View Post
Just stop.

You're right. How silly of me to think that living beings have an impact on the environment in which they live in.

I'm sure you are just perfectly cozy in the holographic building you posted this comment from, with technology that popped up from thin air and most certainly wasn't crafted using nonrenewable resources, while the original old growth forest is still there teeming with native wildlife and flora capable of sustaining a healthy balance of oxygen and carbon dioxide exchange as well as living populations of a large host of species.

I better tell those dumb scientists that believe in things like evolution and tectonic plate theory that nothing ever changes, or moves around on the planet, that can create changes in weather patterns for certain land masses due to activities that occur above or beneath the soil.

Old 10-21-2022, 11:02 AM

6,311 posts, read 6,814,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
I would love to hear what all surprises you about the weather & environment here? Coming from Arizona, I know that has to be an incredible change.

This is my first real fall. I've never seen leaves change in front of my eyes. I know we aren't Vermont or anything but it's beautiful to see all the trees change their colors. Back before I moved here I'd sometimes drive up to Sedona or Flagstaff during the fall time and there would always be some trees with their leaves already changed, but this is my first time witnessing the transition. Here in north Georgia there are also more trees that would change leaves than the large amount of evergreens that exist in the Western forests like the ponderosa pines of Flagstaff so the fall here is much more pronounced than the seasonal areas of Arizona. (By the way, there is not a cooler sight to see than red trees from the fall with the red rocks of Sedona, I do recommend this).

I am still in love with all of the trees here. And yes I do mean all of the trees, every single individual tree. I like some more than others but I like all the trees. Sometimes on my commute home from Union City the perimeter is up to some shenanigans so my GPS will tell me to drive through South Fulton County (Atlanta, East Point, Union City) until I can rejoin the perimeter later on. It's weird driving what I know fundamentally is a rocky and low-income area but still be on a windy two-lane road with a bunch of super tall trees and shade over the street that makes the street so pretty.

I mean I have always known this but some forests to me are prettier than other forests. Like I go to Florida often and the forests down there just don't sit the same way. Both Florida and up here in north Georgia have plenty of pine trees, in fact I believe majority-pine tree, so that's not it. The trees feel bigger here for some reason, taller and thicker, maybe that's it. Maybe it's because there's no palm trees, I have grown up seeing palm trees all my life and they just never had that appeal to me. But I really enjoy the woodsy feel of this place. A couple weeks ago I visited the Atlanta Botanical Gardens for the first time and enjoyed the "woods" section of it on the other side of the entrance. I haven't spent much time in the natural areas of this place yet but I hope I can do that soon. But in the meantime there's nothing I love more than a drive through the woods on a narrow street, ever since I was a little girl and that's not going to change, and I love that I can get it daily in random parts of the city like even in East Point of all places. Or even a more manicured tree-lined street like I've personally seen in some of the core neighborhoods of the city like the SFHs immediately east of Midtown.

I imagine it is the same phenomenon for someone who has always lived in a forested area to go to a desert area for the first time. To see mountains that are almost 50 miles away, a sky with a rainbow of pastel colors from the dust and dirt, and some danger plants that poke you with funky shapes. Rocks with weird shapes and colors just sitting there bare instead of being covered in moss or some other type of plant. Or to see a light breeze come in and watch the sand or dirt get picked up and "dance" in the air. That is all common stuff to me, but spectacular to someone else (except the big skies and being able to see everything possible that never gets old).

As far as the weather it has been nice for me. August with that almost daily rain we had but not 90+ degrees at the same time, I loved that. And this month watching the leaves change... not sure which month I like more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
Lol, for someone like you who is coming from an extremely dry climate in Phoenix (which only receives like 7-8 inches of precipitation on average for the entire year), you likely are going to be in for a real treat if you live in the Atlanta area for long enough.

Atlanta averages about 50 inches of precipitation yearly, which is about 7 times the amount of yearly precipitation that a city/metro like Phoenix receives on average.

I knew what I was signing up for when I moved to the South. More rain is exactly what I was hoping for and I got it. I miss all the rain we had in August, but this month is nice too except right now with my heater not working so I'm very cold since my apartment and the outdoors are the same temperature. It's really sucked the past couple of nights.

If this is a treat it's like cashews to me (I love cashews). Granted I don't like cold rain so I do need to stock up on some more jackets, and probably hats and gloves and socks. Stuff like that in Phoenix was mostly better spent collecting cobwebs.

Old 10-21-2022, 11:12 AM

253 posts, read 190,826 times
Quote:
You're right. How silly of me to think that living beings have an impact on the environment in which they live in.

I'm sure you are just perfectly cozy in the holographic building you posted this comment from, with technology that popped up from thin air and most certainly wasn't crafted using nonrenewable resources, while the original old growth forest is still there teeming with native wildlife and flora capable of sustaining a healthy balance of oxygen and carbon dioxide exchange as well as living populations of a large host of species.

I better tell those dumb scientists that believe in things like evolution and tectonic plate theory that nothing ever changes, or moves around on the planet, that can create changes in weather patterns for certain land masses due to activities that occur above or beneath the soil.
I can see you were a poor fit for Phoenix. You may not do so well in Atlanta either.

Also, your beef is with governments who pay scientists to reach a designed conclusion instead of working off of hypothesis, as is the scientific method, in order to exert control over companies, nations and humankind. But I digress.

It rains in Atlanta. Tropical systems that hit the northern Gulf of Mexico can skew the amount received. Live on a hill and you'll be ok.

Old 10-21-2022, 12:46 PM

689 posts, read 639,852 times
Quote:
... Granted I don't like cold rain so I do need to stock up on some more jackets, and probably hats and gloves and socks. Stuff like that in Phoenix was mostly better spent collecting cobwebs.
And when you need to buy stuff like that in Phoenix it can actually be hard at times to find in the stores.

Old 10-21-2022, 03:53 PM

450 posts, read 271,703 times
Quote:

It's corny when people try to tie extremely localized variability in weather to their political beliefs. A big hurricane, more rain than normal, less rain than normal, higher temperatures than normal, lower temperatures than normal, or whatever, is always evidence for a certain brand of politically-oriented climate alarmists despite the fact that it's just statistical noise.

Sometimes it snows on Christmas in Atlanta. Sometimes it's 70 degrees on Christmas in Atlanta. There's no meaning to it.

Old 10-21-2022, 06:48 PM

12,971 posts, read 9,495,132 times
Quote:
I mean the title kinda states the question itself. As yall know I'm new to the area and didn't expect it to get to freezing temperatures here in mid-October. My coworker who is originally from Augusta said August was an abnormally rainy month too.

I know with climate change and all weather is changing at a larger exponential rate than previously in history with some places getting hotter, some colder, some wetter some drier... is this true for our local area?
In north Alabama, not far from Atlanta, May, June and July were really hot, and then August, September and October have been cooler than normal. October here so far has averaged 6.6 degrees below normal, which is very substantial. Looks like the next week or so will warm up considerably though. Light freezes in October are not unusual at all, however. We've not been wetter than "normal"; in fact, are within an inch of average so far for the year which is a bit amazing. November typically begins the really wet and dreary season for the winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta