Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2023, 02:10 PM

6 posts, read 4,257 times

Advertisements

Hello! I am a fifty something woman, divorced with 2 adult children, currently still living with me

I’ve lived in the Chicago suburbs my entire life and want to make a change in the next 1-2 years. I like space, but also like amenities - good restaurants, shopping, etc. Right now I’m in a townhouse and can walk to the farmers market and my shopping is all within 5 miles or so and I enjoy that.

I’d like a house, but townhome is an option. I’d like something in a swim community, not an over 55 community (I don’t think) and my budget is $500-$900k. Ideally I’d like newer construction, but I would prioritize neighborhood vibe over new construction. I’m thinking Forsyth or Cobb county but flexible. Low taxes appeal to me - right now my property taxes are $17k a year.

My daughter and I may come down for a week in July to get a feel for the area. Im also considering the Huntsville, AL area, but want to look at GA first as I think it is a possible landing spot for my kids for work. I still work but am 100% remote, with work travel every 4-6 weeks.

Thank you in advance for your suggestions - I appreciate suggestions, advice and any feedback!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2023, 02:22 PM

3,715 posts, read 3,697,411 times
If it were me I’d get a townhouse near DT Alpharetta

Old 05-29-2023, 04:19 PM

217 posts, read 217,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sewmuch2 View Post
Hello! I am a fifty something woman, divorced with 2 adult children, currently still living with me

I’ve lived in the Chicago suburbs my entire life and want to make a change in the next 1-2 years. I like space, but also like amenities - good restaurants, shopping, etc. Right now I’m in a townhouse and can walk to the farmers market and my shopping is all within 5 miles or so and I enjoy that.

I’d like a house, but townhome is an option. I’d like something in a swim community, not an over 55 community (I don’t think) and my budget is $500-$900k. Ideally I’d like newer construction, but I would prioritize neighborhood vibe over new construction. I’m thinking Forsyth or Cobb county but flexible. Low taxes appeal to me - right now my property taxes are $17k a year.

My daughter and I may come down for a week in July to get a feel for the area. Im also considering the Huntsville, AL area, but want to look at GA first as I think it is a possible landing spot for my kids for work. I still work but am 100% remote, with work travel every 4-6 weeks.

Thank you in advance for your suggestions - I appreciate suggestions, advice and any feedback!
You pay $17k in property tax for a townhouse in the Chicago suburbs? Wow! No wonder so many people move to the Atlanta area from Chicagoland.

You'll be pleased to learn that you'll be paying far less in property tax each year anywhere in Metro Atlanta than you pay now.

For context, $17k is an amount one could expect to pay in property tax for a $1.5 million estate house on an acre lot in a higher-tax Metro Atlanta municipality.

For that $500k to $900k price range you stated, expect to pay between $4k ($500k property in a low-tax jurisdiction) and $12k ($900k property in slightly-less low-tax jurisdiction).

The areas of the northern Atlanta suburbs with the lowest tax rates are unincorporated Cherokee County, Forsyth County, and the City of Buford, closely followed by unincorporated Cobb County and the North Fulton County cities of Alpharetta, Johns Creek, Milton, Roswell, and Sandy Springs as well as the Cherokee County city of Woodstock. I think you'll be happy in any of these places.

Downtown Alpharetta or nearby, as Citykid3785 mentioned, would be a good choice due to its many restaurants, its many stores, and its generally very nice downtown area. However, you'll certainly be at the top of your price range, and you may very well not find a home you like at a price you can afford. For that reason, I might search elsewhere for a better value.

Another place you could consider is Downtown Woodstock in Cherokee County. I'm thinking you might enjoy a subdivision like South on Main -- a new swim community which is walkable to Downtown Woodstock (20 to 30 minute walk) and also within 5 or 10 minutes by car to most of your stores and restaurants. Woodstock is still on the more expensive side, but it's more affordable than Alpharetta.

Finally... you might also want to consider Downtown Roswell or Downtown Marietta, though the inventory of newly-built and recently-built homes in these places will be smaller.

Old 05-29-2023, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citykid3785 View Post
Thank you! I’ll put it on my list. I thought Alpharetta might be too big, but looking on Zillow I do like the townhomes available, though definitely at the high end of my budget.

Old 05-29-2023, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleZ OTP View Post
You pay $17k in property tax for a townhouse in the Chicago suburbs? Wow! No wonder so many people move to the Atlanta area from Chicagoland.

You'll be pleased to learn that you'll be paying far less in property tax each year anywhere in Metro Atlanta than you pay now.

For context, $17k is an amount one could expect to pay in property tax for a $1.5 million estate house on an acre lot in a higher-tax Metro Atlanta municipality.

For that $500k to $900k price range you stated, expect to pay between $4k ($500k property in a low-tax jurisdiction) and $12k ($900k property in slightly-less low-tax jurisdiction).

The areas of the northern Atlanta suburbs with the lowest tax rates are unincorporated Cherokee County, Forsyth County, and the City of Buford, closely followed by unincorporated Cobb County and the North Fulton County cities of Alpharetta, Johns Creek, Milton, Roswell, and Sandy Springs as well as the Cherokee County city of Woodstock. I think you'll be happy in any of these places.

Downtown Alpharetta or nearby, as Citykid3785 mentioned, would be a good choice due to its many restaurants, its many stores, and its generally very nice downtown area. However, you'll certainly be at the top of your price range, and you may very well not find a home you like at a price you can afford. For that reason, I might search elsewhere for a better value.

Another place you could consider is Downtown Woodstock in Cherokee County. I'm thinking you might enjoy a subdivision like South on Main -- a new swim community which is walkable to Downtown Woodstock (20 to 30 minute walk) and also within 5 or 10 minutes by car to most of your stores and restaurants. Woodstock is still on the more expensive side, but it's more affordable than Alpharetta.

Finally... you might also want to consider Downtown Roswell or Downtown Marietta, though the inventory of newly-built and recently-built homes in these places will be smaller.
This is SO helpful - the property taxes here are insane. Our income tax rate is lower than GA, but only by a percentage point or so, and sales tax can be high, too.

This really expands my search - I really appreciate your thoughtful response.

Old 05-29-2023, 05:19 PM

10,392 posts, read 11,489,724 times
Quote:
I agree with this advice from Citykid3785.

With your apparent desire to live near amenities like good restaurants, shopping, a good farmers market, etc, and with Georgia being a possible landing spot for your adult children’s work, it appears that an amenity-filled upscale suburban community like Alpharetta would be an excellent area for you to target for relocation.

Downtown Alpharetta (with its growing walkable downtown village area with its numerous shops, boutiques and restaurants, and community gathering and event spot at the Alpharetta Town Green that has a farmers market that runs every Saturday morning from April to November) very likely should be the very first area that you target for relocation in the Atlanta suburbs.

Over the past decade or so, the greater Alpharetta area has emerged as a very major and very important hub of well-paying jobs and economic activity, not just for the North Atlanta suburbs, but also in the state of Georgia and in the Southeastern U.S.

Alpharetta has emerged as a major hub of tech industry activity in the Southeastern U.S. over the past decade or more after the Great Recession economic downturn of the very late 2000’s.

With this emergence as a major Southeast regional hub of well-paying tech jobs and economic activity, Alpharetta has also emerged as one of the most affluent and upscale suburban communities in the entire U.S.

Almost every suburban metropolitan amenity one can need or want access to can be accessed in the Alpharetta area. There are numerous upscale retail developments located throughout the greater Alpharetta/North Fulton County/South Forsyth County.

The greater Alpharetta area straddles the line between North Fulton and Forsyth counties and (by way of the Georgia State Route 400/US Highway 19 freeway) provides fairly quick direct access to the urban amenities of Atlanta to the south and the scenic and recreational amenities of the Blue Ridge and Southern Appalachian foothills and mountains wilderness region of North Georgia, Western North Carolina and Eastern Tennessee to the north.

In additional to Alpharetta, the greater Alpharetta/North Fulton County/Forsyth County area also includes very upscale and highly affluent suburban communities like Milton, Johns Creek, Roswell, Cumming and the Forsyth County side of Suwanee.

Alpharetta, North Fulton County and Forsyth County is an increasingly highly diverse area that is increasingly dominated by transplants from other parts of the country like California, the Midwest, the Northeast and other parts of the greater American South as well as by immigrants from Asia and Latin America.

Huntsville, Alabama is a great area to consider also, but the North Atlanta suburbs will offer a much more cosmopolitan environment with many more metropolitan amenities along with better access to the getaway spots of Blue Ridge and Southern Appalachian Mountains region.

Marietta (with its very active and popular walkable large downtown village area, town square and popular Saturday farmers market) and Cobb County could be another part of the Atlanta suburbs for you to consider that appears to have the amenities that you are looking for.

Lawrenceville (with its very active downtown village area) and Gwinnett County (including communities with popular and active downtown village areas like Duluth, Suwanee, Buford and Norcross) could be a good third option for you to consider behind Alpharetta/North Fulton County/Forsyth County and Marietta/Cobb County.

Old 05-29-2023, 05:35 PM

25,721 posts, read 12,793,994 times
Forsyth County has very low property taxes, & when you turn 65, you no longer have to pay for the school portion of your property tax bill which reduces it by ~80%...it gets crazy cheap.

The Cumming Farmers Market is currently weak, but growing.

Market Place Blvd is a shopping mecca just East of 400, & North of state rd 20. Higher end shopping is just South at an outdoor mall called The Avenue, and a few exits further South is the #1 shopping area in Northern Atlanta ... Avalon. To the North is a very popular outlet mall in Dahlonega called North Georgia Outlet Mall. There's a Regional Mall called Mall of Georgia 30 minutes East along state rd 20...lots of traffic unless you know when to go.

Northside Hospital has a near new & large branch right there at 400 & state rd 20, & as you age, you'll want to be near quality healthcare.

Lake Lanier is right there too, & I'm sure you'd enjoy that.

Day trips to the quaint towns in the North Georgia Mountains are just 45-60 minutes away like Dawsonville, & Dahlonega. You'll find wineries, amazing Pumpkin patches at Burts Pumpkin Farm, a huge waterfall, & all kinds of escapes from suburban life.

I left that area 6 yrs ago, but if I were to return, that is where I'd go. There's a small community theatre in Downtown Cumming, & a few bars that feature live music in Downtown Cumming too.

Best of luck to you, I think your choices are all good.

Old 05-30-2023, 07:28 AM

3,244 posts, read 6,297,930 times
Quote:

You have many many choices.

One possible choice you might like is Martin's Landing in Roswell. There are only two listings in your price range available now at the time of this posting.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/9...14672467_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/9...14671775_zpid/

Here is a video about the community.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_t9I7WwH0uw

Roswell has lower property taxes than some other cities.

https://www.appenmedia.com/alpharett...c9887937e.html

"Roswell adopts second-lowest property tax rate in the area"

Martin's Landing also has 3 swimming pools and several tennis courts.

https://martinslanding.org/pool/

https://martinslanding.org/tennis/

And it is a 10 minute drive to the Roswell Farmer's market and downtown Roswell.

https://goo.gl/maps/SiBKuuLpHSB4aTYS9

https://www.downtownroswell.com/

Quote:
I would avoid townhouses with the potential for noisy neighbors and HOA special assessments.

Old 05-30-2023, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
I agree with this advice from Citykid3785.

With your apparent desire to live near amenities like good restaurants, shopping, a good farmers market, etc, and with Georgia being a possible landing spot for your adult children’s work, it appears that an amenity-filled upscale suburban community like Alpharetta would be an excellent area for you to target for relocation.

Downtown Alpharetta (with its growing walkable downtown village area with its numerous shops, boutiques and restaurants, and community gathering and event spot at the Alpharetta Town Green that has a farmers market that runs every Saturday morning from April to November) very likely should be the very first area that you target for relocation in the Atlanta suburbs.

Over the past decade or so, the greater Alpharetta area has emerged as a very major and very important hub of well-paying jobs and economic activity, not just for the North Atlanta suburbs, but also in the state of Georgia and in the Southeastern U.S.

Alpharetta has emerged as a major hub of tech industry activity in the Southeastern U.S. over the past decade or more after the Great Recession economic downturn of the very late 2000’s.

With this emergence as a major Southeast regional hub of well-paying tech jobs and economic activity, Alpharetta has also emerged as one of the most affluent and upscale suburban communities in the entire U.S.

Almost every suburban metropolitan amenity one can need or want access to can be accessed in the Alpharetta area. There are numerous upscale retail developments located throughout the greater Alpharetta/North Fulton County/South Forsyth County.

The greater Alpharetta area straddles the line between North Fulton and Forsyth counties and (by way of the Georgia State Route 400/US Highway 19 freeway) provides fairly quick direct access to the urban amenities of Atlanta to the south and the scenic and recreational amenities of the Blue Ridge and Southern Appalachian foothills and mountains wilderness region of North Georgia, Western North Carolina and Eastern Tennessee to the north.

In additional to Alpharetta, the greater Alpharetta/North Fulton County/Forsyth County area also includes very upscale and highly affluent suburban communities like Milton, Johns Creek, Roswell, Cumming and the Forsyth County side of Suwanee.

Alpharetta, North Fulton County and Forsyth County is an increasingly highly diverse area that is increasingly dominated by transplants from other parts of the country like California, the Midwest, the Northeast and other parts of the greater American South as well as by immigrants from Asia and Latin America.

Huntsville, Alabama is a great area to consider also, but the North Atlanta suburbs will offer a much more cosmopolitan environment with many more metropolitan amenities along with better access to the getaway spots of Blue Ridge and Southern Appalachian Mountains region.

Marietta (with its very active and popular walkable large downtown village area, town square and popular Saturday farmers market) and Cobb County could be another part of the Atlanta suburbs for you to consider that appears to have the amenities that you are looking for.

Lawrenceville (with its very active downtown village area) and Gwinnett County (including communities with popular and active downtown village areas like Duluth, Suwanee, Buford and Norcross) could be a good third option for you to consider behind Alpharetta/North Fulton County/Forsyth County and Marietta/Cobb County.
To the bolded point, my son is in grad school now and wants to be a data scientist, which makes Alpharetta a great choice.

The idea of Alpharetta and a townhome is really growing on me. I thought I’d enjoy a house (I like to garden) but realistically the convenience of a townhome just makes sense. Im going to look at Marietta, Cobb county and the Gwinnett county area also because it’s good to have options. In a perfect world I’d like to be closer to $750k max, but I’m realistic about what I want and what it will cost.

Thank you very very much for your detailed response. If the replies here are any indication, Georgia is filled with kind people!

Old 05-30-2023, 08:09 AM

9,818 posts, read 7,926,133 times
Quote:
To the bolded point, my son is in grad school now and wants to be a data scientist, which makes Alpharetta a great choice.

The idea of Alpharetta and a townhome is really growing on me. I thought I’d enjoy a house (I like to garden) but realistically the convenience of a townhome just makes sense. Im going to look at Marietta, Cobb county and the Gwinnett county area also because it’s good to have options. In a perfect world I’d like to be closer to $750k max, but I’m realistic about what I want and what it will cost.

Thank you very very much for your detailed response. If the replies here are any indication, Georgia is filled with kind people!
Re: the bolded, I consider this to be the friendliest major U.S. Metro by far. It's a great place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta