Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 08:31 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,766,887 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbyt1980 View Post
I've only been here two years - remember August was brutal last year...
It was HELL but it was also UNUSUAL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2008, 07:59 AM

82 posts, read 269,904 times
Default Ok

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
August is brutal in most US cities, truth be told.
The west coast, Great Lakes, and New England are about the only places you can find respite during that month.
I'm not saying that ATl is the only hot place in the US, and I'm not saying it wasn't record heat. The original poster should know that it's not a HUGE difference in summers between TX and ATL.

Old 08-26-2009, 10:21 AM

25 posts, read 97,212 times
Default Atlanta summers are a mild.

On average, Atlanta crosses 90 degrees thirty five to forty times a year. By comparison, Washington DC crosses 90 degrees about 40 times, Evansville, Indiana closer to 50 times a year and Southern Texas between 100 and 125 times per year. There is a huge difference when one city crosses 90 degrees just thirty to forty times a year, while portions of Southern Texas cross the 90 degree barrier well over 100 times in a year. Saying Atlanta isn't too far off from South Texas summers is the same as saying Southern Indiana, Southern Illinois and Northern Virginia have similiar summers to South Texas. Atlanta barely makes over 95 degrees each year....less than five days, while southern Texas can soar past 95 degrees on over 50 days.

Old 08-26-2009, 05:12 PM

434 posts, read 1,041,317 times
I'm one of the few people who don't think Atl is warm enough. It does have the four seasons. Its just not going to be extemely cold or snow like the north during the winter. But it drops to the 30s at night by late OCT many years and you almost always get a final freeze in early April. 80s stay from May to about early -mid OCt. Texas is alot warmer than much of the southeast with the exception of Florida. Dallas, TX whom many compare ATL weather to usually 10-15 degrees warmer than ATL. I wouldn't want TX summers but sure like TX falls and winters. Humidity wise, to me its not that bad. But I draw that conclusion after spending some time in Florida. Now thats oppressive humidity.

Old 08-26-2009, 08:08 PM

360 posts, read 1,011,483 times
I experienced three Austin summers, and innumerable summers in the Southeastern Piedmont. Central Texas summers are hotter. I wasn't complaining -- I like the heat. (Although I ended up in the hospital with heat exhaustion once in Texas. Lesson learned).

Old 08-27-2009, 09:34 AM

2,138 posts, read 6,321,054 times
Atlanta can get as hot and humid as South Texas, but the heat doesn't stay as we get periods of relief during the summer. Our winters here are a little cooler than South Texas winters, but still mild and brief nonetheless.

I think that the big difference between the two is that fall and spring last significantly longer in Atlanta than in South Texas. For example, by the end of September we get bright sunny days with zero humidity and daytime highs in the mid-70s/low-80s that lasts for six weeks--absolutely gorgeous weather. Also in spring, we get 8-10 solid weeks of beautiful weather with highs again in the 70s and low-80s.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but South Texas seems to go from cool to extremely hot virtually overnight. If that's the case, then Atlanta will be absolutely comfortable for you as the transition between hot and cool here is gradual, comfortable, and enjoyable.

Old 08-27-2009, 08:36 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,220,926 times
Well for one; San Antonio is more dry than humid compared to the rest of the south. If you can't stand San Antonio, than you'd probably hate the weather more in Atlanta. However, ATL will have more cooler days than ATL. Humidity rates in SA avaerage about 50-80 while in ATL it can be 80-90.

Old 08-28-2009, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Well for one; San Antonio is more dry than humid compared to the rest of the south. If you can't stand San Antonio, than you'd probably hate the weather more in Atlanta. However, ATL will have more cooler days than ATL. Humidity rates in SA avaerage about 50-80 while in ATL it can be 80-90.
You MUST be crazy! Denver is dry, Phoenix is dry, Salt Lake City is dry...San Antonio is sure as hell humid! It may not be as humid as Houston or Corpus, but it's still pretty damn humid. When I was in Austin (80 miles north of San Antonio) a couple of Augusts ago, the heat and humidity were absolutely stifling! I mean way worse than anything here!

Atlanta gets more periods of relief than San Antonio. For example, the daytime high here is supposed to be barely 80...in August! San Antonio is lucky to see a day below 90 degrees in August, plus the dew point/relative humidity remains high enough to have a noticeable impact. The relative humidity in Atlanta is high, but the weather is cooler given our elevation. If you want to make a more valid comparison, then you would compare heat indices--of which San Antonio's is consistently higher than Atlanta's.

Old 08-28-2009, 10:35 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,220,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by south-to-west View Post
You MUST be crazy! Denver is dry, Phoenix is dry, Salt Lake City is dry...San Antonio is sure as hell humid! It may not be as humid as Houston or Corpus, but it's still pretty damn humid. When I was in Austin (80 miles north of San Antonio) a couple of Augusts ago, the heat and humidity were absolutely stifling! I mean way worse than anything here!

Atlanta gets more periods of relief than San Antonio. For example, the daytime high here is supposed to be barely 80...in August! San Antonio is lucky to see a day below 90 degrees in August, plus the dew point/relative humidity remains high enough to have a noticeable impact. The relative humidity in Atlanta is high, but the weather is cooler given our elevation. If you want to make a more valid comparison, then you would compare heat indices--of which San Antonio's is consistently higher than Atlanta's.
80 degree with about 90% Humidity is torture compared to 90 degrees with 40% humidity. San Antonio hardly every goes over 60% humidity.

It's all about personal taste; Some people can't deal with dry weather and some people can't deal with humid weather.

Old 08-28-2009, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
80 degree with about 90% Humidity is torture compared to 90 degrees with 40% humidity. San Antonio hardly every goes over 60% humidity.

It's all about personal taste; Some people can't deal with dry weather and some people can't deal with humid weather.
Dude--if it's 90% humidity, then more than likely it's raining. Otherwise Atlanta averages 57% humidity at midday on average versus 49% in San Antonio. San Antonio gets very humid--in fact its climate is classified as humid subtropical just like Atlanta's. It's way too close to the Gulf to have a dry climate. Plus when you add in San Antonio's consistently high summertime temps, it becomes clear that the comfort level there is worse than in Atlanta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta