Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2023, 04:12 PM

1,073 posts, read 621,930 times

Advertisements

Hello all,
Can use some input here. I'm going through a divorce and have narrowed down to where I want to live to Cumming, Alpharetta, Roswell or Duluth. I currently live in north Cumming.

First some background I plan to really downsize with this new place-- I would prefer it to be a townhome / or small home condo. I'm looking at some sites online and it's in my range.
Believe it or not it seems like Roswell, Duluth has plenty within my range... mostly townhomes.

Which of these areas would be best given the criteria below:
A. The (property) taxes and other cost of living is more expensive in Fulton county buy how much more and what does it mean (that would eliminate Roswell and Alpharetta if it's too much).
B. Safety of the town/area. I don't want to live in a crime ridden area, plain and simple....no one does.
C. I also want to live within driving range to Atlanta when I decide to venture into the city for things to do sometimes (sports, restaurants, theatre, etc)
D. I don't want the area to be too overly congested
I would say Cumming would be my first choice. I go to church in the area, play soccer, close to Alpharetta (tech hub- which is my industry). I currently work from home.
Schools are not a concern as my kids are older except my youngest daughter - we've figured that out (she will be in west Gainesville with her mom).

One last thought, places like Dawsonville or Canton always come into the back of my mind. Which are further north. You can get more for the money there. Which means I could spend less on the type of place I'm looking for. I don't know just throwing that out there.... it's a longshot because of the commute time if I ever need.

Would love to hear your thoughts. Please keep the criteria in mind, and would love to hear what you think about the outlier area (Dawsonville or Canton).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2023, 04:59 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,942,367 times
Do you actually work in Alpharetta? If so, don't consider Canton. The west to east commute is miserable due to lack of road options. My husband is pressing me to downsize out of our home in Milton, and while I would love to, I won't consider anything west of here while I'm working in Roswell. Arnold Mill, 92, Batesville Rd, all miserable.

Old 10-05-2023, 05:01 PM

3,715 posts, read 3,695,327 times
If it ain’t broke don’t fix it. Stay in cumming given need to be near Alpharetta jobs, lower COL, and daughter. I see no reason to look outside that.

Old 10-05-2023, 05:12 PM

10,392 posts, read 11,485,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeminoleTom View Post
Hello all,
Can use some input here. I'm going through a divorce and have narrowed down to where I want to live to Cumming, Alpharetta, Roswell or Duluth. I currently live in north Cumming.

First some background I plan to really downsize with this new place-- I would prefer it to be a townhome / or small home condo. I'm looking at some sites online and it's in my range.
Believe it or not it seems like Roswell, Duluth has plenty within my range... mostly townhomes.

Which of these areas would be best given the criteria below:
A. The (property) taxes and other cost of living is more expensive in Fulton county buy how much more and what does it mean (that would eliminate Roswell and Alpharetta if it's too much).
B. Safety of the town/area. I don't want to live in a crime ridden area, plain and simple....no one does.
C. I also want to live within driving range to Atlanta when I decide to venture into the city for things to do sometimes (sports, restaurants, theatre, etc)
D. I don't want the area to be too overly congested
I would say Cumming would be my first choice. I go to church in the area, play soccer, close to Alpharetta (tech hub- which is my industry). I currently work from home.
Schools are not a concern as my kids are older except my youngest daughter - we've figured that out (she will be in west Gainesville with her mom).

One last thought, places like Dawsonville or Canton always come into the back of my mind. Which are further north. You can get more for the money there. Which means I could spend less on the type of place I'm looking for. I don't know just throwing that out there.... it's a longshot because of the commute time if I ever need.

Would love to hear your thoughts. Please keep the criteria in mind, and would love to hear what you think about the outlier area (Dawsonville or Canton).
Dawsonville would be a good choice if one seeks to live an exurban lifestyle.

Canton could be a good choice if one seeks to live an outer-suburban/exurban lifestyle.

Alpharetta, Roswell and Duluth are good/great choices if one seeks to live a highly socially active suburban metropolitan lifestyle but also will feature the most traffic congestion.

If you are as comfortable with the area as you appear to be, it seems like remaining in the Cumming area might would be an excellent, if not the best choice for you to consider… That’s especially since Cumming provides great access to a quality outer-suburban lifestyle in its area as well as to both the more exurban/rural recreational lifestyle of the Blue Ridge and Appalachian Mountains region to the north and the more core suburban and urban metropolitan lifestyle of the Atlanta metropolitan area to the south.

And while there is some crime in Northside suburban metro Atlanta areas like North Fulton and Gwinnett counties, there seems to be nowhere remotely near enough crime for it to really truly factor into a potential search for housing in communities like Alpharetta, Roswell or Duluth.

Old 10-05-2023, 05:13 PM

1,073 posts, read 621,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citykid3785 View Post
If it ain’t broke don’t fix it. Stay in cumming given need to be near Alpharetta jobs, lower COL, and daughter. I see no reason to look outside that.
I'm probably with you. Trying to find a place in my range has been tough. Also close to Gainesville. Will keep looking.... Its all about timing.

Old 10-05-2023, 07:37 PM

37 posts, read 42,100 times
Sugarhill is a good option.
Smithdouglas opened a new townhome community (called Ellison square) and price range is about 400k. It is much more affordable than alpharetta, roswell.
It is walkable to nice little downtown of sugarhill, close to all ameniries, close to 85 to get to Atlanta and close to your daughter in gainesville.

Old 10-06-2023, 09:49 AM

1,374 posts, read 923,773 times
What about John's Creek? Right next to Alpharetta and should have some condos or townhomes around your price range.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta