Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2024, 07:37 PM

7,352 posts, read 6,521,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
A Georgia lawmaker wants to eliminate all school zone cameras across the state.He told Channel 2′s Richard Elliot that he and other lawmakers are hearing complaints from people who got speeding tickets when the zones were not supposed to be operating.
https://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/atl...CHYG7S3WWSMJY/

This is exactly what I said would happen, and why I'm strongly opposed to photographic law enforcement. I also find it interesting that in the case in the article of the car being on a tow truck, it seems that that jurisdiction is flagrantly violating the law:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia Code 40-14-18(b)(3)
Proof that a motor vehicle was operated in disregard or disobedience of the speed limit of the marked school zone shall be evidenced by photographically recorded images. A copy of a certificate sworn to or affirmed by a certified peace officer employed by a law enforcement agency and stating that, based upon inspection of photographically recorded images, a motor vehicle was operated in disregard or disobedience of the speed limit in the marked school zone and that such disregard or disobedience was not otherwise authorized by law shall be prima-facie evidence of the facts contained therein; and
(bolding mine) if that actually happened, the officer would have seen that the car was on top of a tow truck and obviously not being operated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2024, 09:45 AM

711 posts, read 681,555 times
This was a huge problem at a school near me during Covid lockdown when the schools were closed, but the traffic cameras weren't reprogrammed to reflect that.

Old 02-21-2024, 01:31 PM

493 posts, read 290,683 times
I'd rather them refine the cameras / dispute process than give in to people complaining about not being able to speed in a school zone. Police enforcement of traffic law is nonexistent here. I remember the law when passed allowed the school zone cameras to operate at all times, (at least that's what folks at GDOT told me), so people complaining about getting caught by the camera when the school is not in session is by design.

Old 02-21-2024, 07:42 PM

7,352 posts, read 6,521,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Datdudebrah View Post
I'd rather them refine the cameras / dispute process than give in to people complaining about not being able to speed in a school zone. Police enforcement of traffic law is nonexistent here. I remember the law when passed allowed the school zone cameras to operate at all times, (at least that's what folks at GDOT told me), so people complaining about getting caught by the camera when the school is not in session is by design.
If GDOT told you that, they lied. The law is clear that the cameras can only enforce from an hour before classes start till an hour after dismissal, and they can only trigger when the recorded speed is more than 10 over the speed limit: https://law.justia.com/codes/georgia...tion-40-14-18/

Old 02-22-2024, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
If GDOT told you that, they lied. The law is clear that the cameras can only enforce from an hour before classes start till an hour after dismissal, and they can only trigger when the recorded speed is more than 10 over the speed limit: https://law.justia.com/codes/georgia...tion-40-14-18/
They should then. Too many reckless drivers here.

Old 02-22-2024, 04:22 PM

11,777 posts, read 7,989,264 times
Quote:
They should then. Too many reckless drivers here.
No... ...they should not.

The cameras should only citate drivers that are speeding through the school zone when they are active, like any police officer would. The speed limits posted on the school zone signs are only the legal speed limits when the zone is active. This is clearly mentioned in the DMV Handbook, The Georgia Law, and also the School Zone sign itself which either citated the times or clearly states 'When Flashing'.

When the school zone is not active, the legal speed limit is the limit assigned to the roadway and not the school zone.

What you are proposing is unlawfully citating drivers who are not breaking any laws.

It's honestly ridiculous that this scam has managed to get away with this for any length of time to begin with.

Old 02-22-2024, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
No... ...they should not.

The cameras should only citate drivers that are speeding through the school zone when they are active, like any police officer would. The speed limits posted on the school zone signs are only the legal speed limits when the zone is active. This is clearly mentioned in the DMV Handbook, The Georgia Law, and also the School Zone sign itself which either citated the times or clearly states 'When Flashing'.

When the school zone is not active, the legal speed limit is the limit assigned to the roadway and not the school zone.

What you are proposing is unlawfully citating drivers who are not breaking any laws.

It's honestly ridiculous that this scam has managed to get away with this for any length of time to begin with.
I'm all for ticketing speeding drivers anywhere. People that aren't speeding are fine by me.

Old 02-22-2024, 07:38 PM

11,777 posts, read 7,989,264 times
Quote:
I'm all for ticketing speeding drivers anywhere. People that aren't speeding are fine by me.
Yes but by the context of the law, drivers are not speeding if they are traveling at the routes posted speed limit when a school zone is not active but they are still getting school zone violation fines even though they are abiding by the law.

Old 02-23-2024, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Yes but by the context of the law, drivers are not speeding if they are traveling at the routes posted speed limit when a school zone is not active but they are still getting school zone violation fines even though they are abiding by the law.
Yes that was my original point. They should keep the camera's and fix the issue. The article's suggestion of posting police officers at schools to ticket people is absurd to me. Keep the cameras and continue ticketing speeding drivers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta