Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2024, 11:56 AM

1 posts, read 504 times

Advertisements

Hi

We are a family of three (Wife & Husband in early 40s and a four year old boy). My new employer is based in Poncey-Highland area. Looking to rent a fully furnished place within 30 mins of commute to work for the first six months and then possibly buy once the super hot housing market cools down a bit.

I have looked at areas like Belvedere Park, Buckhead, Decatur etc. In addition to safety & proximity to Poncey-Highland, we need an excellent public or private pre-k school for the four year old. Looking to spend no more than 5k per month towards rent.

Can you please suggest areas that suit my needs please?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2024, 12:20 PM

10,392 posts, read 11,481,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloAtlanta123 View Post
Hi

We are a family of three (Wife & Husband in early 40s and a four year old boy). My new employer is based in Poncey-Highland area. Looking to rent a fully furnished place within 30 mins of commute to work for the first six months and then possibly buy once the super hot housing market cools down a bit.

I have looked at areas like Belvedere Park, Buckhead, Decatur etc. In addition to safety & proximity to Poncey-Highland, we need an excellent public or private pre-k school for the four year old. Looking to spend no more than 5k per month towards rent.

If you’re looking for excellent public schools ITP, start your search for housing in the area inside the corporate limits of the City of Decatur proper which is served by the extremely highly rated schools of the City Schools of Decatur district.

(“ITP” is the commonly used term to describe the area located inside the I-285 Perimeter highway that encircles the urban core of the Atlanta metropolitan area/region.)

If you’re looking to rent, you likely may need to include short-term rental housing like Airbnb and VRBO as part of your rental housing search.

Old 04-02-2024, 01:35 PM

2,412 posts, read 2,783,663 times
Quote:
Hi

The good public elementary schools that are closest to Poncy Highland are SPARK, Virginia Highland Elementary and Lin Elementary—they should be comparable to anything within City of Decatur and will be closer—assuming you can find something you like within your budget. Going further out you can include Morningside Elementary and the schools in City of Decatur. Fernbank Elementary might also be worth a look—though sometimes they change its zoning—so it might require some research. I am less acquainted with the private schools—but my neighbors have been happy with Paideia (Candler Park-Druid Hills) and Saint Thomas More, a Catholic school in Decatur.

Last edited by jeoff; 04-02-2024 at 01:47 PM..

Old 04-03-2024, 07:44 AM

271 posts, read 301,408 times
Quote:
Hi

6 months is a pretty short term commitment to rent. If that is indeed the timeline, it may help to share what your purchase budget may be for the future?

We have a 4 year old and are in our early 40s too. If it was me, I'd look for a place to rent in the area that I'd want to ultimately buy in-- hence the future purchase budget will allow us to provide better recommendations.

Moving is never fun, and moving with a younger child is harder. Assuming your rental budget is $5k/month, I'm assuming you'd be comfortable with at least an $850k+ home? Again, not factoring in your savings or proceeds from a previous sale.

Decatur is a great option, but the areas with great schools are very expensive. My thought here is that if I enjoyed the Pre-K/Kindergarten or lived near neighbors who send their kids to private schools in the area-- it may help make me more confident in putting down roots near where I rent.

I hope that helps!

Old 04-03-2024, 04:06 PM

2,306 posts, read 2,992,349 times
The Cliff Valley School or The Children's School for pre-k and the child can stay on, if you like, for elementary/middle.

Old 04-04-2024, 12:08 PM

10,345 posts, read 8,557,056 times
Your better option is to use furnishedfinders which specializes in short term rentals.the others are 30 days or less usually and priced accordingly.
furnishedfinders specializes in 30 day and longer terms for traveling workers and people in housing transition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta