Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2007, 07:01 PM

3 posts, read 7,579 times

Advertisements

I just found this board today. In reading some of the threads, it's funny how often "racial" issues are brought up. As a black male living in Cobb County, I have alot friends of different races that I met through work. We actually hang out after work and it is no big thing that we are of different races. We are all in our mid to upper twenties.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2007, 07:44 PM

2,819 posts, read 10,403,643 times
Default Love it, Love it not!

Oh heck, I might as well chime in

From a West Virginia native: Moved here 2 years ago from the Chicagoland area, which I lived for 3 years and 10 years prior in New Jersey.

What I enjoy about Atlanta is the home for the money and the fact I can take my dogs out for an evening pooop in January wearing flip flops and shorts vs. a Parka and Napolean Dynamite boots as in Chicago.

Of course, with Atlanta there is more bang for your buck vs. Chicago and New Jersey, however, it ends here. During my career in the private sector and military, I have lived in many places. Atlanta I rate as a 5 on a 10 scale, this was a surprise since I had totally different aspirations when I moved here. I thought this is it, my final move into retirement.

There were many great comments from other posters that I share. Traffic is horrid and makes NYC seem like a drive in the park. The transit system is small in scope compared to areas like Chicago. Also with MARTA, though during the day is fine, at night you seem to be on full alert. Never felt this way when using the transit in Chicago.

Now, to change a tune and get off the negative nelly wagon I do see so much potential with Atlanta. With the ever growing population there is really no place to go but up. The Atlantic Station area is a great example of a city coming to life. The possibility of the Brain Train expansion could be a bright light as long as law enforcement is allowed to do it's job. The Big Fish tank, the new world of Coke, etc.

All in all I guess you could say it's a mixed emotion. Good, Bad, Happy, Sad. As with anything it's all what you make it. Would I retire here? Right now, I can't say. Do I love it here? No, but I don't hate it either. I guess you could say I am at a happy medium right now.

Heck, being an old middle aged guy with so many moves under my belt maybe it's a mid life confusion crises thing, who knows

Old 01-13-2007, 08:31 PM

722 posts, read 3,316,455 times
Quote:
My other major issue is how segregated the city is. When I went to bars (I’m young so yes I go to the bars once in a while) in Denver you would have all types of people going to the same bars. There weren’t certain bars that you didn’t go to because you didn’t have the right skin color. We accidentally went to a club on “black night.” The six of us literally doubled the white population in the club and the three of us who were male where the only white males in the club. All the other patrons of the club seemed to be of a similar background as us, similar income, similar age, probably similar education levels and job status. No reason why we shouldn’t be able to get along with others. To start the bouncers almost didn’t let us in. Once we did get in we constantly received dirty looks from the other patrons. Of course I can’t say for sure that it was because we were white and stuck out like a sore thumb but I can’t really think of another reason. In general Atlanta seems to segregate along both racial and economic lines. In Denver I was used to segregation along economic lines but the races did a good job of mixing.

Now I promised there were some things that I do like about the city. The economic opportunities available are far greater then in Denver or many other cities across the country. It is an exciting city; there is plenty to do here (although no any more then in Denver but plenty more then other places). We are close to the mountains. Even though they are much different then the mountains of Colorado they are still gorgeous and I love spending time in them. I also think the people down here are really nice. From what I’ve seen southern hospitality really does exist. They aren’t any better then Colorado but compared to other places like the northeast it’s a whole different place. I actually think the food is pretty good. Again it isn’t something that can’t be found in other major metro areas but if you get into the city there are lots of independent restaurants. If you take a drive down Buford highway you will feel like you are in another country. I also like that it isn’t impossible to live in the city here. A few cities (LA, NY) are so expensive that it has become impossible to actually live in the city. There are other cities where you can afford to live in the city (Denver) I just like for a major city with a lot going on in the city it’s nice that you can still afford to live here.

Overall I’m happy with my experience here, I don’t think I will stay here for ever but I might be here for a while. I guess that kind of sums it up. I guess that wasn’t really brief. Sorry about that.
I agree with you about how segregated the city, especially the clubs. They were talking about that on the Bert Show (morning radio show) and the gang there and on V-103, a black station, decided to invite all of their viewers to a mixer night with white and black people there, so we'll see how it goes. One reason I think Atlanta is so segregated is because people here can afford to be. The city and even the metro are basically split half and half, so there are plenty of black institutions and white institutions. I'm guessing that blacks are a smaller minority in Denver so they are forced to assimilate more and therefore there is less segregation. Still, that's no excuse and this kind of segregation needs to end.

Old 01-13-2007, 08:35 PM

722 posts, read 3,316,455 times
I will say that there are some integrated areas that defy the I-20 divide. Many areas of cobb and Gwinnett are integrated like Norcross and Marietta, and Smyrna. And primarily white conyers is right next to primarily black south Dekalb.

Old 01-15-2007, 03:39 PM

1,088 posts, read 6,342,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdiddy0027 View Post
I agree with you about how segregated the city, especially the clubs. They were talking about that on the Bert Show (morning radio show) and the gang there and on V-103, a black station, decided to invite all of their viewers to a mixer night with white and black people there, so we'll see how it goes. One reason I think Atlanta is so segregated is because people here can afford to be. The city and even the metro are basically split half and half, so there are plenty of black institutions and white institutions. I'm guessing that blacks are a smaller minority in Denver so they are forced to assimilate more and therefore there is less segregation. Still, that's no excuse and this kind of segregation needs to end.
Your right that Denver has a much smaller percentage of blacks however the percentage of Hispanics was much higher. Sure there are several Hispanic only clubs but I have visited them and didn't feel as out of place as in a black only club. Also clubs and bars frequented by whites also had a lot of Hispanics in them. I heard about the mixer thing and I think it is a good idea. I'm not really a club person (prefer bars) so it didn't really interest me but I think it's a step in a positive direction.

Old 01-16-2007, 12:35 PM

2,290 posts, read 5,545,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabefree View Post
I just found this board today. In reading some of the threads, it's funny how often "racial" issues are brought up. As a black male living in Cobb County, I have alot friends of different races that I met through work. We actually hang out after work and it is no big thing that we are of different races. We are all in our mid to upper twenties.
It's us "old" guys in our 40's who remember that a short 20 years ago, things were a lot different.

But you and your friends are certainly doing it how it should have always been. Keep up the good work.

Old 01-16-2007, 02:04 PM

22 posts, read 131,320 times
I've lived all over La. and finally moved here from the New Orleans area. I must say, I love it here.

Old 02-01-2008, 10:08 AM

131 posts, read 492,763 times
Figured I could do a bump on this thread to see how everyone is still doing.

Me, like Atlanta more but still regret the move.

Old 02-01-2008, 10:21 AM

340 posts, read 1,577,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabefree View Post
It's true among well educated people who understand different culture and like to know from different poeple. The persons who take race as an issue are mostly snobs or less educated people with very limited knowledge about history and culture.

Old 02-01-2008, 10:43 AM

1 posts, read 2,079 times
Default Need your input on move from NYC to ATL

I am thinking to relocate to Atlanta this summer from NYC. I would love to hear from those of you who have moved to Atlanta within the last year or so you have come to like the city and if you made the right move ? How it is with expences and jobs?
thanks, hopping to hear from you guys soon
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta