Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2014, 09:05 PM

5 posts, read 5,408 times

Advertisements

Hi, I currently live in Decatur and work in Covington. Wife and I want to settle down and start a family so we would like to buy a house. Problem is, we both like the Roswell, Alphareta area a lot. Do you think thats a killer commute from that area to Covington? Anyone has done that and can share their opinions?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2014, 09:19 PM

7,359 posts, read 6,531,454 times
Well, once you get to I-285, it'll break up a little bit, but it'll still be very long. Going home, you'll be socked-in from the Stone Mountain Freeway all the way back to GA-400. You can try and take the backroads, my dad did Alpharetta to Conyers in the morning (he was night shift) via Gwinnett Place Mall, but that's still very long and you'd still have the return trip.

Old 10-14-2014, 09:19 PM

3,744 posts, read 4,786,194 times
In the morning traffic is bad until you get to 285 and you will be in the reverse commute the rest of your trip. Coming home you will be in the reverse commute until you get to 400 and then you will hit traffic

Old 10-14-2014, 09:40 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,938,534 times
Most of it would be against traffic, but you're still looking at almost an hour with no traffic. Look into the Brookwood and Grayson clusters in Gwinnett County. That would nearly cut the commute in half and with no major traffic. Wouldn't be sacrificing much in quality of life and would have a much better commute. I live in the Brookwood area now and if I had a job in Covington I absolutely would not move to Roswell or Alpharetta. There just isn't a big enough difference to justify that change in commute.

Old 10-14-2014, 10:50 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,880,068 times
It would be bad. Drive it during rush hour a couple times before you commit and see if that is really how you want to spend your days.

What do you like about Roswell / Alpharetta? Maybe others can recommend other locations to consider. Or you could just try to find a new job if that is the area you want to live.

Old 10-15-2014, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
It would be bad. Drive it during rush hour a couple times before you commit and see if that is really how you want to spend your days.

What do you like about Roswell / Alpharetta? Maybe others can recommend other locations to consider. Or you could just try to find a new job if that is the area you want to live.
I like them because they have good schools, they are safe and the offer very good quality of life for the money.

Old 10-15-2014, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnaccountant View Post
I like them because they have good schools, they are safe and the offer very good quality of life for the money.
You can find that in the Brookwood/Grayson area. The difference in schools isn't enough to even tell a difference. It's very safe north of US 78. Probably a little cheaper than Roswell/Alpharetta.

Old 10-16-2014, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post
You can find that in the Brookwood/Grayson area. The difference in schools isn't enough to even tell a difference. It's very safe north of US 78. Probably a little cheaper than Roswell/Alpharetta.
Thanks. After looking at the Lilburn/ Lawrlawrenceville area, we think we will be quite happy there!

Old 10-16-2014, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnaccountant View Post
Thanks. After looking at the Lilburn/ Lawrlawrenceville area, we think we will be quite happy there!
Just make sure you end up in school cluster you want. Also Gwinnett County schools is about to do a little bit of redistricting in the area between I 85 and US 29. I don't remember exactly where I found it but there's a map online showing the possible changes.

Old 11-17-2014, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post
Just make sure you end up in school cluster you want. Also Gwinnett County schools is about to do a little bit of redistricting in the area between I 85 and US 29. I don't remember exactly where I found it but there's a map online showing the possible changes.
We are going to reside in a new subdivision in the Brookwood cluster. I checked the map and it will stay within the Brookwood highschool district. I hope That's a good district. Your thought?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta