Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2008, 04:28 AM

1 posts, read 2,404 times

Advertisements

Hi there everyone,

my name is Rose-Marie and I came across your website which was very interesting. I was hoping someone could offer me some advice.

I am from the UK and I am a BA graduate who will be commencing my UK Postgraduate teacher training this September. I have some work experience both in the teaching field and others; and I have also just come back from Atlanta Georgia, where I spent the summer teaching English as part of an adult refugee course. I intend to go onto to do my masters (whilst gaining teaching experience) and then hopefully apply to teach in the US.

I would really like to teach in ATL or even Chicago, but I really don't know how to go about it. I have family in ATL, so accomodation is not necessarily an issue. It's just finding a job/school willing to take on a UK citizen teacher. I know there is the visa hassle, but I am more than willing to meet the costs in that area. More important, I have to have a job offer before I can even think about applying for a visa.

Now I have looked at various teaching abroad programs but none seems to cover or include Atlanta or Chicago, (Georgia yes e.g Kennesaw- but my first love would be Atlanta).

I mean I have various other relevant academic qualifications and training. Specifically, the range of subjects I am interested in teaching include Social Sciences and Humanities, History or even English.

Can anyone offer me any advice?

Kind regards
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2008, 07:20 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,483,637 times
Contact the GA DOE/Dept of Education>>>
Georgia Department of Education

Old 09-03-2008, 12:56 PM

242 posts, read 841,845 times
I am not an expert in the teaching field but I know you will have to take some extra certs to be a teacher in different states. Make sure you research your chosen school to work and area to live wisely - school performance and commute - will be a major issue.

Good luck with everything.

Old 09-03-2008, 11:51 PM

283 posts, read 1,193,613 times
Can't offer advice on Chicago but in the Atlanta area I would check out the Fayete County BOE. An always positve growth area that pays its teachers well and willing to go outside of the traditional teaching pool to get the best teachers for its award winning school system. Coweta County is trying hard to accomplish the same thing so they would also be a good place to build your resume while helping you to accomplish your own desires.

Old 09-04-2008, 03:22 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,659,327 times
Yes, be a math, science or special ed teacher, otherwise you will have a nearly impossible time getting a job because you will need a VISA. Many systems in GA (and I expect around the US) use foreign teachers, but almost always only in high needs areas.

The areas you listed are not high needs and it is generally very easy for American school systems to find people in those fields.

Old 09-04-2008, 05:43 PM

3,709 posts, read 4,627,449 times
If you teach in Atlanta, I would recommend a North Fulton or East Cobb, public or private, school. If you teach in Chicago, I would recommend the northwestern suburbs.

Old 09-05-2008, 12:45 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,880,495 times
I'm moving this over to the Atlanta room where you'll more likely get more replies.

Old 09-05-2008, 12:59 PM

2,206 posts, read 6,890,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rose0958 View Post
I know there is the visa hassle, but I am more than willing to meet the costs in that area. More important, I have to have a job offer before I can even think about applying for a visa.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastminutemom View Post
Yes, be a math, science or special ed teacher, otherwise you will have a nearly impossible time getting a job because you will need a VISA. Many systems in GA (and I expect around the US) use foreign teachers, but almost always only in high needs areas.

The areas you listed are not high needs and it is generally very easy for American school systems to find people in those fields.
lastminutemom's advice is good. The problem with nonimmigrant status/visas is not so much the cost as the quota and the rules (which say that it's only for jobs for which the supply of American workers is inadequate). Also, Rose-Marie, you need to know that you can't apply on your own behalf. The application must be made by the prospective employer. Therefore it's not a matter of finding a job then applying for a visa. It's a matter of finding a job for which the employer is willing to hire a foreign worker, including taking on the hassle of applying for status for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: