Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2021, 07:48 AM

38 posts, read 36,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulver View Post
Jeez, where to start with more Moreland Shopping Center memories. There was a Walgreen's there. A Western Auto. For a short time, there was an ice cream shop, named Peni's. One day the ' fell off, and what you saw from the road was "Penis Palor."

I recall a hot popcorn machine in the Grant's. Somehow as a youngster, I got my thumb caught in the thing, and got it cuty badly. I still have the scar.

Back down near the "L&M", was the dental office of Jay Paulen. Down from his was a barber shop. Long before AIDS, I remember them lathering up gentlemen, and giving them a close one with a straight razor.

Across the street from Moreland, was a pizza place named "Sir Pizza." Still my favorite of all time. All the toppings were ground togther, producing a unique fusion of flavor. For years I thought it was a mom & pop operation. It wasn't till the internet, did I find that they remain as a chain in TN., and the midwest. The building is now a pawn shop, but they used the original Sir Pizza "crown", for their own sign now.
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_oClm5w3Om9...+Pizza+One.JPG

On down Moreland, there was a Burger Chef. My uncle used to bring me a burger about every other day. The car parts store sits on it's former address. A couple doors down, was another favorite. Lums! It's a mexican restaurant now. Of course Zesto's has been an institution there forever. Across the street from them, was an Arthur Treacher's Fish & Chips. Of course, the C&S bank remains in ruins. One of the coolest structures ever. WAY ahead of it's time.
http://www.ladytrap.org/gallery/utopia

Two other places come to mind as a kid. The Magic Market store that sat up on the hill, at Moreland & Custer. Then, just past Moreland Shopping Center, there was a Tenaco. The MM is a rims store now, and the Teneco still pumps gas.

There are some Sir Pizzas in North Carolina as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2021, 09:12 PM

4 posts, read 5,027 times
Default Moreland Ave

You don't read much about southeast Atl memories. Seeing Moreland Ave jogged mine. I grew up in Forest Park near Jonesboro Rd. We were very close to the Fulton and Dekalb lines. Looking for underage alcohol took us either to Blair Village or Moreland Ave, sometimes up into Lakewood....Clayton county was dry then. On Moreland we would go to the package store at Booker Hill near the Starlight drive-in. There were usually a good many folks hanging around that would buy us something at a considerable markup but it always happened without incident. There was a nice quarter mile marked off on Forest Park Rd (runs parallel to Moreland) just over the South river bridge and lots of wanna be dragsters testing their cars. It was just a hop, skip, and a jump to Charlie's Tradin' Post on McDonough Blvd across from the Atl pen. We always went to the Chevy plant on Sawtell and Ford in Hapeville to look through the canvas hung on the fence to see the new model year cars before they got to dealers in the fall. I couldn't fail to mention Catfish King and Rio Vista. In the early/mid '70's we would frequent a lounge at a motel sitting at Moreland and 285...kind of a redneck place with a house band . The place was named Edgemont. I'll close with a dirt bike story. We would ride from my parents house over to Old Conley Rd ( one end is beside the old Treasure Island store, now known as Scott Antiques South center) through a subdivision and get into the woods for about a mile and a half. Run along a fence at 285 and cross over Moreland and go under 285 through a creek drainage tunnel and climb Spring Hill then back home via Moreland and Thurmond rd. Spring Hill is now part of the massive landfill you can see from outer space. It was fun while it lasted.

Old 09-03-2021, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Billy Watson.

His brother Gordy dated Vanna White

Old 09-06-2021, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
I had the same exact thought. Sad, really.

I've often pondered the powerful *SHOCK* factor that people who lived in Atlanta long ago must experience when they come back and see it today. This August will be 20 years since my best friend died unexpectedly of a pancreatic hemorrhage after we had been out one night club hopping in Midtown. And as anybody knows, 1994 Midtown ain't NOTHING like 2014 Midtown. Not a day goes by that I don't think about him and wonder what he'd think of what Atlanta is today. He'd be like, "They tore down Backstreet?!" Makes me sad.

I was born in Atlanta at Kennestone Hospital in 1986. I returned to Atlanta in 1999. Left in 2001. Returned for vacations and such. Went with my church every year to the Operation Christmas Child warehouse. Last time we went to OCC was 2010. Returned to Atlanta for the first time since then in 2016 to see Jethro Tull at the Fox. I was with my uncle and it was a quick there and back trip. Drove through last year on my way to see my father in Virginia. I highly doubt i would recognize the place wgen i come back!

Last edited by jman8606; 09-06-2021 at 11:48 AM..

Old 09-06-2021, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hmeonthelake View Post
Hungry Fisherman, some where near Memorial Drive. Had a lake out back where customers went out and feed hushpuppies to a lake full of very large goldfish. Years later, I ended up owning a tropical fish store. I had a teen customer who would go climb a fence to get to this small lake and would come sell me some of these large goldfish for $1 each, what a deal. Mike

There was also one at the corner of Franklin and Delk in Marietta where Dave and Buster's is now.

Old 09-08-2021, 10:06 PM

11 posts, read 22,343 times
I’m glad this thread is still rolling on…..I was born at Georgia Baptist Hospital in 57 and been here ever since and I don’t even recognize how much things have changed……I grew up on the southeast side and my dad owned a Pure station later Union 76 station at the corner of McDonough Blvd and Gault St. right across from the Federal Pen…..there was a Dairy Queen right next door and I bought many ice creams and cheese burgers there which probably explains my current shape……I worked summers there pumping gas and doing oil changes but my main job was picking up all the beer cans and whiskey bottles the Chevrolet Plant workers two blocks away on Sawtell left in the lot every day……It’s amazing any car that came out of that plant had all four wheels, much less ran at all because I picked up a wheelbarrow load of cans and bottles everyday…..

The south side was great back then, Moreland Ave was safe and had so many great places to go……It saddens me so much that the places I enjoyed back then are too dangerous to even drive though in the daytime now…. The Atlanta I grew up in is no more, it was a great time but it’s gone now, but not forgotten…….

Old 09-09-2021, 02:31 PM

Franklin Road back when it was a nice place to live.

Movie Stop (not to be confused with Gamestop's sister store)
Southern Tape and Video
Spanish Trace apartments
Miss Kitty's
Organ Grinder pizza
Hungry Fisherman

I saw mention a BBQ place that used to be in Macon on the way to FL. Well, i have a couple of friends from grade school in Alabama who opened a BBQ place in Ashburn. It is called Rudy T's Smokehouse and Grill. Be sure to drop by.

Last edited by jman8606; 09-09-2021 at 02:57 PM..

Old 09-09-2021, 02:36 PM

32,025 posts, read 36,788,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookhaven Bobby View Post
I’m glad this thread is still rolling on…..I was born at Georgia Baptist Hospital in 57 and been here ever since and I don’t even recognize how much things have changed……I grew up on the southeast side and my dad owned a Pure station later Union 76 station at the corner of McDonough Blvd and Gault St. right across from the Federal Pen…..there was a Dairy Queen right next door and I bought many ice creams and cheese burgers there which probably explains my current shape……I worked summers there pumping gas and doing oil changes but my main job was picking up all the beer cans and whiskey bottles the Chevrolet Plant workers two blocks away on Sawtell left in the lot every day……It’s amazing any car that came out of that plant had all four wheels, much less ran at all because I picked up a wheelbarrow load of cans and bottles everyday…..

The south side was great back then, Moreland Ave was safe and had so many great places to go……It saddens me so much that the places I enjoyed back then are too dangerous to even drive though in the daytime now…. The Atlanta I grew up in is no more, it was a great time but it’s gone now, but not forgotten…….
Good memories!

Old 09-14-2021, 07:12 PM

Gantt's Food and Deli.

Old 09-27-2021, 10:37 PM

11 posts, read 22,343 times
I grew up in Atlanta and in the 70’s it was a fun, safe place to live…..My friends or my parents would drop us off at Lenox Square bowling alley for hours and we had fun and never had to worry about thugs with guns doing anything crazy but today I wouldn’t even drive through the parking lot because Atlanta has become a killing war zone and giant crime scene….Sunday there was another hold up and shooting in the Macy’s parking lot, luckily nobody had to die but cars were shot up and it was just another news blurb…..I totally support Buckhead splitting away from the City of Atlanta to form a city with enough well paid Police Officers to put a stop to this crap……Enough is enough, something has to change, build more jails and stop letting criminals walk through the system just to be returned to the mean streets to continue doing what they do best, being thug criminals……I’m mad as hell, Atlanta is better than this and we have to demand better from City Government…..Things need to change here and soon….
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta