Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2008, 10:21 AM

12,115 posts, read 33,689,401 times

Advertisements

of the train station where you take Amtrak from NY to Atlanta and vice versa, and is there a MARTA station nearby that can take me to N Springs (the n-s line)? I'm thinking of possibly taking Amtrak this time as opposed to flying

Does Amtrak get crowded during after Thanksgiving weekend(I have travelled from NY to Atl exclusively by car over the years so I'm clueless about train/plane congestion)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2008, 01:28 PM

697 posts, read 3,021,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
of the train station where you take Amtrak from NY to Atlanta and vice versa, and is there a MARTA station nearby that can take me to N Springs (the n-s line)? I'm thinking of possibly taking Amtrak this time as opposed to flying

Does Amtrak get crowded during after Thanksgiving weekend(I have travelled from NY to Atl exclusively by car over the years so I'm clueless about train/plane congestion)
The only Amtrak station that serves the metro Atlanta area is the Brookwood Station, on Peachtree Street right where I-85 passes under it.

Unfortunately, there's no MARTA rail station close by -- the closest is Arts Center Station, slightly less than a mile south on West Peachtree St between 15th and 16th Streets. To get there from the Amtrak station, you could either get a cab or take the 110 The Peach MARTA bus. With luggage, the cab would probably be a better option. From Arts Center, take the North-South MARTA line to North Springs (after 9 pm, you may have to take the Northeast line to Lindbergh and change to the North-South line, but that shouldn't be an issue since the only Amtrak arrival each day is around 9 am).

Old 09-28-2008, 02:24 PM

Default Thanks...

Can you transfer for free from bus to train with a Breeze visitor ticket? I have no $$ left on my breeze ticket from my last trip--do they sell Breeze tix in the train station or can you buy one online(I know it sounds silly since I'm here in NY!!)

Old 09-28-2008, 02:26 PM

Default What would a cab...

charge for that mile?

Old 09-28-2008, 03:24 PM

23,466 posts, read 44,100,317 times
Quote:
Can you transfer for free from bus to train with a Breeze visitor ticket? I have no $$ left on my breeze ticket from my last trip--do they sell Breeze tix in the train station or can you buy one online(I know it sounds silly since I'm here in NY!!)
Yes, the breeze fare is good for a bus transfer but you must swipe it again as you exit the station.
If you still have your Breeze card, all you have to do is reload when you get to the station.

Old 09-28-2008, 03:40 PM

Quote:
What would a cab charge for that mile?
Since both stations are "businesses" and are within the Midtown flat fare zone, it'd be $8, plus $2 for each additional person. Meter rates are $2.50 for the first 1/8 mile, then 25 cents for each additional 1/8 mile, so the metered rate would be about $4.

Old 09-28-2008, 04:54 PM

Default Thanks,

BTW, is the Breeze ticket (which opposed to the Breeze card, is designed for visitors, not long term users), good for a transfer between bus and train?

Can you renew or purchase a new ticket thru Marta by mail? as my card ran out and i don't want to have to pay an extra fare

Old 09-29-2008, 11:14 PM

2,218 posts, read 4,372,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rackensack View Post
(...but that shouldn't be an issue since the only Amtrak arrival each day is around 9 am).
There are two Amtrak trains that come through Atlanta. The morning train arrives at 8:13 AM and leaves at 8:38 AM bound for New Orleans. The evening train arrives at 7:53 PM and leaves at 8:21 PM bound for New York.

The schedule is on Amtrak's website.

Old 09-30-2008, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billl View Post
There are two Amtrak trains that come through Atlanta. The morning train arrives at 8:13 AM and leaves at 8:38 AM bound for New Orleans. The evening train arrives at 7:53 PM and leaves at 8:21 PM bound for New York.

The schedule is on Amtrak's website.
Right -- I meant the only arrival from New York each day -- the OP specifically mentioned using Amtrak to return to Atlanta from New York, and the only time that's gonna happen is the morning. But your point is well taken for others who might be looking for general information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: