Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 08:33 PM
ABM ABM started this thread

339 posts, read 993,214 times

Advertisements

I'm interested in the possibility of selling a NW artist's paintings, pencil portrait sketches (on canvas), and illustrations at next April's Inman Art Festival.

Does anyone here have any experience with that festival in this regard? I'd love to discuss.

Thanks,

ABM
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2008, 08:59 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,892,366 times
A woman who knows my sister does pastel portraits (like my sister also does) and did the Inman Festival two years ago. I met up with her then and she loved it. She has done a few festivals out of her home state (WV) and said the Inman Festival is the only one in the Atlanta area she'll fool with. We discussed this when she did it here, as at one time I was considering doing a booth myself (photography), but while I'd like to think I'm good at what I do, nothing I do really stands out from the dozen or more other photographers who set up stuff at these things.

For the most part, she appreciated the wide range of people who go to the Inman Festival compared to some of the others in the area. People will come intown from various suburbs in all corners, as well as intown residents, so you get a real varied mix of people, tastes, incomes, etc. Some of the other festivals are more "area-specific", if that makes sense, and you get a less diverse group of people who attend them. I saw her the last day of it and she was very pleased. So long as you have a good people personality and you're able to handle the traffic (as in, that area is hard to move around in during the festival, and, you need to have a helper with you), then you should do fine.

I'll try to contact her, but she is more of the sandal wearing old hippie type. I'm not even sure she owns a phone - I think she uses pigeons or something. LOL. But my opinion based on the artsy types I know, and her opinion, is that it's well worth a try at that one. I didn't make it to the '08 fest due to weather and other stuff I had to do, but I will say that so long as you're not selling jewelry or photography (WAY overdone at most fests), then you stand a chance of doing well. You don't see a ton of pencil/pastel folks at these things, so there isn't as much competition as other forms.

Here's a shot I took of the '07 festival in the band and "dance" tent. See? Even Granny's getting into it (she danced better than most in there). LOL

Old 10-07-2008, 06:26 AM

21,870 posts, read 15,090,460 times
Information for artists and vendors will be made available sometime in October according to the neighborhood website. I would go back and check on it to see when the information is posted. Here is the website: Inman Park Festival Information (http://www.inmanparkfestival.org/info.php - broken link)

I am glad to hear that other artists have been successful at the festival. I know that the committee works hard in displaying a large selection of artists, mediums and price points. Even though the weather was horrible last year - the artists that I spoke with still had a good weekend.

I live in the neighborhood and am amazed that the festival grows larger each and every year! The area in which the artists have their booths is closed down to vehicular traffic so having an assistant is a must even if it's just to have a bathroom break.

Old 10-07-2008, 06:56 AM

214 posts, read 915,943 times
Off main topic - How much do the portraits typically run?

Old 10-07-2008, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEastBound View Post
Off main topic - How much do the portraits typically run?
Working on that. Securing quotes with the printers right now.

Greg/George, Thanks SO much for your input! Greatly appreciated. I'm getting pumped already!

BTW, we're looking to have the artist do some regionally themed (portrait) pieces. What, in your opinions might sell well, here, in da South? The standard Civil War heroes? Other ideas?

Thanks!

Old 10-07-2008, 09:15 AM

21,870 posts, read 15,090,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABM View Post

Greg/George, Thanks SO much for your input! Greatly appreciated. I'm getting pumped already!

BTW, we're looking to have the artist do some regionally themed (portrait) pieces. What, in your opinions might sell well, here, in da South? The standard Civil War heroes? Other ideas?

Thanks!
Tell me you are joking about the "standard Civil War heroes" I have not recalled walking into some one's home and saw a painting of Robert E. Lee on the wall. I would rethink the Civil War themed paintings.

Why not stick to landscapes or flowers.

Here were the rules for 2008: http://www.inmanparkfestival.org/docs/Application_Rules_2008.pdf (broken link)

Old 10-07-2008, 09:23 AM

247 posts, read 1,289,989 times
Default I love this picture!

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
A woman who knows my sister does pastel portraits (like my sister also does) and did the Inman Festival two years ago. I met up with her then and she loved it. She has done a few festivals out of her home state (WV) and said the Inman Festival is the only one in the Atlanta area she'll fool with. We discussed this when she did it here, as at one time I was considering doing a booth myself (photography), but while I'd like to think I'm good at what I do, nothing I do really stands out from the dozen or more other photographers who set up stuff at these things.

For the most part, she appreciated the wide range of people who go to the Inman Festival compared to some of the others in the area. People will come intown from various suburbs in all corners, as well as intown residents, so you get a real varied mix of people, tastes, incomes, etc. Some of the other festivals are more "area-specific", if that makes sense, and you get a less diverse group of people who attend them. I saw her the last day of it and she was very pleased. So long as you have a good people personality and you're able to handle the traffic (as in, that area is hard to move around in during the festival, and, you need to have a helper with you), then you should do fine.

I'll try to contact her, but she is more of the sandal wearing old hippie type. I'm not even sure she owns a phone - I think she uses pigeons or something. LOL. But my opinion based on the artsy types I know, and her opinion, is that it's well worth a try at that one. I didn't make it to the '08 fest due to weather and other stuff I had to do, but I will say that so long as you're not selling jewelry or photography (WAY overdone at most fests), then you stand a chance of doing well. You don't see a ton of pencil/pastel folks at these things, so there isn't as much competition as other forms.

Here's a shot I took of the '07 festival in the band and "dance" tent. See? Even Granny's getting into it (she danced better than most in there). LOL
When I grow up - I want to be like this granny!!

Old 10-07-2008, 09:25 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,892,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Chong View Post
I have not recalled walking into some one's home and saw a painting of Robert E. Lee on the wall.
Well, I have walked into a home and seen a Velvet framed picture of Elvis touching Jesus before, though.

Actually, a good drawing of the front of Stone Mountain MIGHT do well. But other than that, art is really a matter of each person's taste. It would be hard for me to tell you what would sell.

Old 10-07-2008, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Chong View Post
Tell me you are joking about the "standard Civil War heroes" I have not recalled walking into some one's home and saw a painting of Robert E. Lee on the wall. I would rethink the Civil War themed paintings.
OK, forgive me for I know not what I do or say.

The artist specializes in portrait type of art. Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

ABM

Old 10-07-2008, 09:29 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,492,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABM View Post

Thanks!
Dogwoods, magnolias, Fox Theater, Coca Cola sign, Atlanta skyline, Stone Mountain, peaches, train depots, historic buildings associated with Georgia towns--ie Norcross, Roswell etc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta