Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2008, 05:01 PM

2 posts, read 3,189 times

Advertisements

Hello there - I'm a 27 y/o young single professional woman looking to relocate to Altanta. My prospective job is in Lawrenceville, but I absolutely want to live ITP. Ideally, I would like to live within walking distance to some good hangouts (coffee shops, bars - I have pretty diverse interests - think sports bar, fox theater, shakespeare tavern, the masquerade, highlander, etc...), and pretty close to a gym, grocery store, jogging/biking trails. But, I would also like to be mindful of a budget and not waste money on an unneccessarily long commute, or an overly priced apartment. Number one considerations are living in a place where I feel safe and that is relatively new and clean-feeling. Virginia-Highland, Inman Park appeal to me, but I wonder if something closer to Briarcliff, North Druid Hills would make a huge difference in the drive to work? Any advice at all?? I have visited Atlanta on several occassions in the past, but briefly. The only info I have on any particular neighborhood is what I've read online... so any suggestions other than those listed above would be great. I'm not *completely* opposed to living in a suburb, but I'm really looking for the city experience. Thanks so much in advance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2008, 05:50 PM

21,870 posts, read 15,114,425 times
Inman Park all the way!

Here are some websites, if you haven't surfed them already:

www.inmanpark.org

www.inmanparkvillage.com

Old 12-31-2008, 06:45 PM

1,320 posts, read 4,282,049 times
You might want to look at the City of Decatur too. It's on the eastside and there are several ways to get to Lawrenceville from there (Lawrenceville Highway [Hwy 29], Stone Mountain Freeway to Hwy 10, or I-285 to I-85) although the commute will be significant (but against traffic so probably not horrific).

City of Decatur, GA

Decatur's really cute.

Old 01-02-2009, 09:04 AM

6 posts, read 23,995 times
I would definitely look at Decatur, there's got to be a good way to L'ville up 78 or something... at least you'd be going against traffic. L'ville is a good ways out there though. Decatur is AWESOME, so cute, great places to eat and hang out, although somewhat expensive to live. The other thing is you have to deal with the Dekalb police department keeping you safe... not totally ideal. It's pretty corrupt.

Old 01-04-2009, 11:18 PM

8 posts, read 25,792 times
Dunwoody might be a good compromise. As far as trails, walking, and exercise it seems that the closer you get to the Chattahoochie river the more parks and trails you will find.

Old 01-05-2009, 12:21 AM

360 posts, read 1,013,031 times
Another vote for Decatur here. I'm outside the city limits right now and hope to move into the city in the future. Unincorporated DeKalb has some issues, though it's not as bad as some people say.

Old 01-06-2009, 05:20 AM

2 posts, read 3,189 times
Thank you all for your suggestions - I spent the weekend in Atlanta, drove around to different neighborhoods, and tested out a reverse commute to Lawrenceville. I've decided to get an apartment in Brookwood Hills for now. That reverse commute on 85 is a breeze - or at least was on Monday morning at 8! Thank you all again - my interview went well, and I hope to hear something in the next couple of days and hopefully will become an Atlanta resident within the next month!

Old 01-06-2009, 06:41 AM

21,870 posts, read 15,114,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justmelanielanese View Post
Thank you all for your suggestions - I spent the weekend in Atlanta, drove around to different neighborhoods, and tested out a reverse commute to Lawrenceville. I've decided to get an apartment in Brookwood Hills for now. That reverse commute on 85 is a breeze - or at least was on Monday morning at 8! Thank you all again - my interview went well, and I hope to hear something in the next couple of days and hopefully will become an Atlanta resident within the next month!
Congratulations and welcome!

Old 01-06-2009, 08:23 PM

1 posts, read 1,486 times
Just noticed your latest post.... But......

I would say why not look into Lawrenceville directly. It's a not that bad of a commute to Atlanta for hanging (Downtown, Atlantic Station, quaint areas, etc..) Lawrenceville is a very great place to live and the last thing you want to do living here is be far away from your 9-5 (TRAFFICE SUCKS MAJOR A$$).... Another alternative would be is to look into the Gwinnett county surrounding cities, Norcross, Duluth, and Snellville. Hope this helps...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta